Tightening up Force Power cost rules

By usgrandprix, in Game Mechanics

Now the Force Powers all have a base power and upgrades.

The progressions and powers are cool and I really like them.

One thing I think could make this section even better is if the language were tightened up a bit regarding spending results.

Now the issue that is unclear here is that in some places it explicitly says the use of an upgrade costs more results beyond the base power, in some places it implies the use of an upgrade costs more points beyond the base power, in some cases it seems like the upgrade does not cost more points beyond the base power, and in some cases the it implies the use of an upgrade costs more points beyond the cost of another upgrade.

Some examples:

1. Move>Magnitude explicitly says using Magnitude still requires spending points to activate the Move power effects in addition to the cost of Magnitude. This is quite clear.

2. Foresee>Duration has the text missing about still needing to pay for the base power and pay for the upgrade. I think this is still a case where you have to pay for both base and upgrade but the absence of the explicit clarification in #1 is conspicuous, especially considering...

3. Influence>Control (for altering minds) and Sense>Control (surface thoughts) upgrades have a cost but it’s not clear if these upgrades cost more results in addition to a base power check. Particularly the concept of adding an Effect as in Sense>Control (surface thoughts) is unclear.

4. Influence>Control (for altering minds)>Magnitude has a cost to increase the magnitude of the Control (for altering minds) upgrade (which has a cost too) but maybe the cost of the base power is never necessary?

I recommend some tightening up the language for these and adding plenty of examples. I also recommend defining effect and maybe make it all a bit clearer by making all the upgrades based on a basic force power check (or making it clear when they do not).

Edited by usgrandprix

I concur

The general rules make it fairly clear that if the Control Upgrades list a Force Point cost and don't say it's in addition to the activating the basic power, then all you need to spend is that listed Force Point cost. In effect, the Control Upgrades are adding an additional option to those available from the base power.

For instance, under Sense, the Control Upgrade to read surface thoughts is just the one Force Point, not two (one for the base power, one for the Control Upgrade). Same with Influence and its two Control Upgrades (affect thoughts and skill boost) in that the Force Point cost listed is all that needs to be paid for that effect, and that you don't have to pay the Force Point cost for the base power.

The various Range/Magnitude/Duration/Strength Upgrades would be applied to the Control Upgrades as well, with the Force Point cost listed for that upgrade needing to be paid. So for Influence, you could spend a Force Point to trigger your Duration Upgrades when using the affect thoughts Control Upgrade to have it last longer.

Then again, maybe the writers just figured most readers would be smart enough to figure this all out without needing the mechanics spelled out in exacting detail the way that systems like D&D 3.X and Pathfinder pretty much have to do.

Edited by Donovan Morningfire