Melee Questions

By Rayneth, in Only War Rules Questions

So I have a find more queries concerning the nuances of melee combat within this game.

For starters, Feint Attacks.

Can you add bonuses typically gained from Melee combat situations e.g. ganging up bonus, customized grip, good or best craftsmanship weapons to this roll? And after a successful faint, it indicates only a standard attack action may benefit from the Feint. Thus, I assume you may strike with two-weapon fighting with two melee weapons and both will gain the benefit as two-weapon fighting is a half-action standard attack action. Would this be correct?

Next, on the matter of the Close-Quarters Order. The bonuses gained from it is specifically a ganging up bonus. So it would seem that picking up the Double Team talent would add immeasurably to this. But for enemies with combat master, they appear to be completely unaffected by this order at all. Is this a correct interpretation? Also, a Veteran comrade further adds a +5 bonus to this order, is this bonus ignored by enemies with Combat Master or is it from a seperate source, and thus you at least gain a +5 bonus with a veteran comrade? Or +10 with an Ogryn comrade, or +15 with a Veteran Ogryn comrade.
Edited by Rayneth

Ganging Up refers to Weapon Skill Tests in general - not just attacks. So yes, Feint does profit from Ganging Up for it is an opposed Weapon Skill test. Same goes for the Grip and Quality Level. Also as you noticed only standard attacks do benefit from this bonus and hence he theoretically can perform two standard attacks.

The rules in my interpretation though go this way: Feint only applies its bonus on the NEXT standard attack. Not ALL standard attacks in one round. So even though technically the two dual wield attacks do happen more or less simultaneously they are not considered to be ONE attack but TWO.

So you can spend a half action to faint, and then spend another half action for dual-wield attacks. Here you can make a standard attack that cant be evaded and follow it up with another standard attack that does not benefit from feinting or another kind of attack like lightning attack.

I do not play with Comrads so I cant give you an answer for that one.

Edited by FieserMoep

I'm with [FieserMoep] on this one. Technically [Two-Weapon Wielder] creates two distinct attacks even though they are lumped together in the same Half Action. Your first Standard Attack will have the benefits of [Feint], but I don't see a compelling reason for the second Standard Attack to also benefit. Oh, and [swift/Lightning Attacks] are not compatible with Feint, just in case that needs to be said.

Unfortunately, I also do not have enough experience with the Comrade system to give you a confident answer.