GM Brainstorm - Super Heavy Armour / Super Heavy Mount

By SgtLazarus, in Only War Game Masters

Keeping it short but sweet, my primary group have discussed the notion of a campaign in which we take on the role of a super heavy armoured regiment piloting a Baneblade.

This led me on to a crazy idea for another game I'll be running for another group on a Post apocalyptic world. Enter a regiment of guardsmen riding something similar in scope to a Squiggoth or Middle-Earth Mumakil.

Now these are concepts that I would go so far as to describe as "cursed with awesome". They're things I'm sure many would love to play but...How to keep them interesting? The tank campaign problem on a much larger scale.

We managed to make an interesting concept for an artillery regiment. I'll be damned if this beats us.

Other tribes with huge monster things for those epic run and hide and tell the beast what to do whilst we scream like little girls moments. Boarding parties for those close in brutal fights for survival where the toughest and strongest rule and all others are to fall before their might. Some crazy specially trained assassin on crazy combat pills and stims in an enclosed space for the whole team trying to kill something so fast they can hardly see it after some NPC guts stain the wall and they have to kill it before it gets them.

Yeah, perhaps you can run this beast like an Age of Sail pirate ship, on land? Have a crude superstructure with cannons, walkways with ropes, that sort of stuff.

Imagine two of these mammoths pulling alongside each other, broadsides blasting out chunks of armoured hide and flesh, causing the beasts to buckle and force everyone to grab a hold of something and take balance tests, lest they fall down and have to be pulled up again (by ropes affixed to their belts). Meanwhile, feral warriors launch their hooks and swing over to board the enemy, a bloody fight erupting on the gentle creature's back. On the ground, trained attack raptors begin to claw and bite its legs, and the pained beast finally goes into a frenzy, shaking off heavy weapon emplacements and entire huts full of people.

27307780d1342002526-old-dino-rider-custo

If you can get your hands on the Dark Imperium short story anthology from Black Library, it has a story called "Battle of the Archaeosaur" which pits a bunch of feral worlders on giant dinos against an overconfident Mechanicus Titan detachment. ;)