Just Bought the starter box, and have a few questions...

By WarrenLocke, in Call of Cthulhu LCG

Hello all,

I just got the Starter Box for CoC and I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl. Knowing myself, I'll be picking up a couple Asylum Packs soon enough and the few questions I have will become moot, but I want to get a feel for the game with just the basics first.

So, question one is regarding the minimum deck size rule of 50 cards... using the recommended deck construction in the rulebook - two factions plus half of the unaligned cards - you wind up with two decks of 47 each. Is this just a discrepency with regard to the limited cards available in the starter box, or are there other cards I should be including in these starter decks?

Second, it appears the Miskatonic faction actually only gets 19 cards to start with, wheras the Agency has 21. Was there a misprint in the core set on an Agency card that should be a Miskatonic card?

Last, there's only one Conspiracy card in the starter box, would people recommend to just leave it out of play until there are more options for deck construction with Asylum packs?

Thanks!

In regards to their being less than 50 cards in the decks the way they say to build em, yes that's fine. It's really more of an introduction to the game doing the two faction + neutral cards they way they suggest. When you get into the deck building, that's where you're going to want to make sure you're at 50 cards.

The Miskatonic 19 vs Agency 21 is a bit of a snafu. I believe the official response was to just play them as printed. Once you get some more Core / Asylum packs, you'll have plenty of other options to bring the counts up. :)

As for the Conspiracy card... I'll defer to my betters on that question as I've never really used them. I will say you can go for quite awhile and build some pretty competative decks without paying attention to them, but you'll probably want to take a look at them and try and figure out how best to use them for yourself. For now, with the single Core set, I'd probably just ignore it.

Have fun and welcome to the game.

There was a misprint. Steve Clarney (?) should have been MIskatonic, not Agency. You might notice his number is in the Miskatonic range and shows up in the orange (? is that the right color... sort of yellow-orange) batch of printed cards.

It is my understanding that he is to be considered as Agency henceforth (even though he was Misk previously). A shame - I like MIskatonic and I like Steve...

One more quick question from someone who picked up the starter set at GenCon. Is that 50-card number a minimum or a ceiling? Can I have more than 50 cards?

You can play with any number of cards above 50, if you like.