Eyes wide open... now

By vespers2, in Beowulf: The Legend

The new format of the FFG boards has opened my eyes to whole new avenues of gaming. Pardon my ignorance, but I had no idea there was a Beowulf board game (let alone two from the same publisher!). I take it there are very different game mechanic between The Legend and The Movie ? I ask because I fully intend to get my local retailer to get one or both in stock. Maybe its naive of me to ask which you would recommend.

Having a Honours degree in English makes me particularly interested in the notion of playing the role of a Thane for while. To be honest, the prospect of the cgi film did nothing to spark my imagination (I have yet to see it). What I'm getting at in a very round-a-bout way is asking if this game captures the flavour and spirit of the legend?

Both Beowulf games have nothing incommon than the put on theme. The mechanisms and game targets are completly different. I wouldnot dare to say which one is better, they donot come on our table often.

I haven't played "the movie" boardgame, but I have played the game it was originally based on (Kingdoms.) I have also played this game (and can't say I enjoyed it.)

Both are Eurogames that have slapped on themes. You might enjoy the games as games, but if you are looking to adventure along with beowulf you'll be disapointed.

You should be able to find the rules to the games on this site. I'd recommend reading them.

boardgamegeek has reviews of this for sure... not my cup of tea, theme is very thin in this one.

I enjoyed this game - there's a lot of bluffing involved and hand strategy is important. If you like poker, you would probably enjoy this game. You're basically trying to bid and win prizes (honour and gold) and not take penalties (wounds). You do a total score at the end of the game. The theme is really fun but not integral, it could have been Space Marines or King Arthur or anything, but it does frame the game a certain way. We get it out when we're tired of dice games and don't want to play Guillotine or BANG! anymore.

Vespers said:

The new format of the FFG boards has opened my eyes to whole new avenues of gaming. Pardon my ignorance, but I had no idea there was a Beowulf board game (let alone two from the same publisher!). I take it there are very different game mechanic between The Legend and The Movie ? I ask because I fully intend to get my local retailer to get one or both in stock. Maybe its naive of me to ask which you would recommend.

Having a Honours degree in English makes me particularly interested in the notion of playing the role of a Thane for while. To be honest, the prospect of the cgi film did nothing to spark my imagination (I have yet to see it). What I'm getting at in a very round-a-bout way is asking if this game captures the flavour and spirit of the legend?

Wasn't Thane in MacBeth?

As for the game, I hope so because while the epic was good, the movie was horrible (but aren't they always). So they need something to get people to like Beowulf again. (maybe I'll get this for my Englsih teacher for my Graduation Thank You present.

I agree with Sam Gamgee. This game IS fun. I also agree with others who've noticed the theme is a typical "euro paste-on". Do NOT let that prevent you from trying it! The hand management, and the "push your luck" aspect of the "Risks" in encounters add plenty of challenge and fun to this one. When was the last time you played a game where everyone was cheering or groaning at the turn of a single card? Yes, it is NOT a typical FFG "adventure" game, but it IS a GOOD game.

TK

The theme is pretty thin, but it's still a fun, fast game. The push-your-luck mechanic takes what would otherwise be a dry bidding game and makes the action quite tense. Pulling seemingly-ridiculous chains of symbols you need off the top of the deck is very memorable, and its short length works well with the luck factor, as even if chance disfavors you badly, you're not out much time. Definitely worth it at the current $10 sale price.

Roxas said:

Wasn't Thane in MacBeth?

As for the game, I hope so because while the epic was good, the movie was horrible (but aren't they always). So they need something to get people to like Beowulf again. (maybe I'll get this for my Englsih teacher for my Graduation Thank You present.

I'm sure Vespers can tell us exactly, but I think 'Thane' is a typical noble title from Old English, so it showing up in translations of Beowulf and shakespeare's MacBeth would not be unusual.

Either way, I think we might break this out again on the weekend.

I'll add my voice to the chorus: Beowulf the Legend (I haven't played the Movie game yet) is an excellent euro-style game. In our group is has become the to go game when we don't have much time or are still waiting for everyone to arrive (most of the games in our stable are more time-consuming). Yeah, the theme is kinda tacked on, but the game is still loads of fun. And if you're a John Howe fan (like me), you'll love the artwork, too.

Eduardo Penna

Sam Gamgee said:

Roxas said:

Wasn't Thane in MacBeth?

I'm sure Vespers can tell us exactly, but I think 'Thane' is a typical noble title from Old English, so it showing up in translations of Beowulf and shakespeare's MacBeth would not be unusual.

Either way, I think we might break this out again on the weekend.

I know Thane was in MacBeth cause I just finished reading it for the AP test, but I'm not sure if it was in Beowulf.

I acutally enjoied the game though, my friend got it and we played it (epically) so it's definately something to consider.

A thane is just a title in Old English: þegn, in the original language. Think of it as someone below the king's family but above a common man. Usually they were a type of soldier, something like what would eventually become knights. Shakespeare has thanes in Scotland during the time of Macbeth (around 1000 A.D. or so), because for years large parts of Scotland belonged to Norway, and were influenced by Germanic titles and culture.