Hitting but missing a sunder...?

By Alderaan Crumbs, in Game Mechanics

So, my good guys want to sunder weapons, which I realize is hard, so they don't kill an enemy. They hit and get 4+ successes but not enough Advantage...poo!

What do you do? Is there an official rule? Should it be based on the type of enemy (minion, rival or nemesis)? I think there needs to be a tweaking somewhere. You shouldn't be screwed for having enough to drop the BBG in one blow but essentially have to miss in order to keep him alive.

And yes, sundering is hard and if you miss you could kill a guy, but that sucks and isn't Star Wars to me.

Bacon and pie...mmmmm...

Aiming specifically for the weapon to disarm them - pg. 144/145. This knocks the weapon out of their hands, but doesn't force the players to attack the weapon holder first. Unless they rolled a Despair or tons of threat though I guess.

I've seen people here also suggest houseruling that additional success when aiming to disarm be used to activate Sunder - with 3 successes on a check, the first success is pretty much to actually disarm, the second and third success go towards activating Sunder twice and bringing the weapon down from undamaged to Moderate damage.