Clarifying how force powers work

By archon007, in Game Mechanics

I have read some of the other threads on how force pips work, etc but I'm still confused since there is no good examples of using force powers and want to make sure we are doing it right.

First, a player with Force Rating 1 rolls only 1 force die, correct?

Second, if the have the Move force ability it takes 1 force pip to active it to move a silhouette 0 object in short range?

If the above is correct this is my confusion. If the player has 1 Rank of Strength they can Move silhouette 1 objects, correct? Now does that cost another force pip (2) or because I have it that is now always upgraded to Move silhouette 1 objects instead of silhouette 0 objects?

What if I have the Strength upgrade rank 2? Do I need to spend 1, 2 or 3 force pips to move a silhouette 2 object?

I know it's beta but I sure hope FFG puts in a bunch of example uses for how the force works.

Side question besides the class specialization tree abilities is there any other way to increase your Force Rating?

Also, are you seeing your players make a "land grab" so to speak and skipping force abilities to increase their Force Rating as fast as possible?

Thank you.

You need an extra Force pip to trigger the Strength upgrade, but you only need one no matter how many Strength upgrades you've purchased. So you'd only need 2 Force pips to move a Silhouette 2 object if you had the second Strength upgrade.

Side question besides the class specialization tree abilities is there any other way to increase your Force Rating?

There are the two Universal Force specs from EotE and AoR, both have a Force Rating Talent.

First, a player with Force Rating 1 rolls only 1 force die, correct? Correct, as you roll Force dice equal to your Force Rating, less any dice you have committed to an Ongoing Effect.

Second, if the have the Move force ability it takes 1 force pip to active it to move a silhouette 0 object in short range? Again, correct.

If the above is correct this is my confusion. If the player has 1 Rank of Strength they can Move silhouette 1 objects, correct? Now does that cost another force pip (2) or because I have it that is now always upgraded to Move silhouette 1 objects instead of silhouette 0 objects? Yes, the player would need to Force Points to be able to move a Silhouette 1 object within short range.

What if I have the Strength upgrade rank 2? Do I need to spend 1, 2 or 3 force pips to move a silhouette 2 object? You just need the 1 additional Force Point, as with any of the Strength, Duration, Range, and Magnitude Upgrades, however many upgrades of that type you've purchased will trigger when you activate it. Some upgrades do allow you to activate them multiple times for each additional Force Point spent. So in the case of Move, if your player had purchased two Magnitude Upgrades, they could spend an additional Force Point (beyond the 1 to activate the base power and the 1 needed to activate the Magnitude Upgrade in the first place) to affect up to 5 objects at one time. But you'd need a lot of Force dice in order to have a chance of pulling that off with any regularity. The Strength Upgrade for Move doesn't say you can activate it multiple times, so if you've purchased 2 Strength Upgrades, you can only activate it once to affect objects of up to Silhouette 2 in size no matter how many Force Points you roll.

Side question besides the class specialization tree abilities is there any other way to increase your Force Rating? Nope, just the Force Rating talent that's included in most of the talent trees.

Also, are you seeing your players make a "land grab" so to speak and skipping force abilities to increase their Force Rating as fast as possible? Not really, though none of the characters in the game I'm running are what one would consider to be "Force wizards." I do have one PC that really wants the Protect/Unleash power, but she's not made much headway on getting her Force Rating up to 2 at this point.

As for examples of the Force in play, I suspect we might see a web article once it gets closer to the release date of the actual core rulebook.

Edited by Donovan Morningfire

Thank you very much for your clarifying answers.