Running a Planetary Invasion

By Grynder, in Only War Game Masters

So given what people have said about the navy bit and me deciding that I will add some in, I've settled on the players having to fight off some kroot/dominate task forces aboard the ship. But for the counter attack I was thinking of sending the PCs aboard the kroot warsphere. Could any one give me a hand brainstorming where components would be.

I imagine the ships power supply being near the centre but divided into four parts. As far as everything else is, well that's what id like some help with.

Or should I just handle it as if the kroot are hitching a ride off the dominate defence fleet?

If you're looking for inspiration regarding Kroot Warspheres, perhaps ye olde Battlefleet Gothic may be of some use:

"Unlike the Tau, the Kroot are capable of true warp travel, but the exact method has been kept secret from tehir employers. To the Kroot, warp travel is almost migratory and they seem incapable of navigating anywhere other than systems with habitable worlds. It appears they are drawn to functioning eco-systems.
The famour Kroot Warspheres are self-contained towns wherein is kept the retained knowledge of Kroot technology and the choicest items they have received as payment for their services. As such they do not risk them in battle willingly and try to avoid direct action against warships unless the need is great or they are being exceptionally well rewarded.
Warspheres have a single drive running through their core from north to south pole, and manoeuvering thrusters along their equator. These engines are reliable but very basic, making Warspheres very slow. They are powerful enough to allow the Warsphere to land and take-off from a planet, although the process is not elegant. When dirtside, the manoeuvering thrusters will normally be used to bury the Warsphere."
So .. a ring of thrusters, two engines on the poles, a reactor in the core. Also "treasure rooms" for trophies, and a sort of tribal archives. Given the description, I suppose some sort of hydroponic farm and animal pens might make sense as well? There's certainly some cool potential here for boarding such an alien vessel, given the stuff you might see.
In terms of layout, I'd probably design it like an ant colony with lots of chambers and corridors, and technology and pipes all around them. Almost like a hive city! Also, it'd have a humid climate, with fog on the ground.
p2-ship07.jpg

I see that most people here have outlined the purpose a light infantry regiment would serve in a planetary invasion and there have been some awesome responses, so I won't touch on that. That horse has been beaten.

But what is always fun, if you can swing it, is putting your players into positions that they haven't necessarily trained for. If you have an operator and come across an abandoned (insert reasons here, because Emprah) tank, throw them in it and see what happens. Essentially, without listing a thousand different things they COULD do, the point is that there is a reason during the chaos of battle for anything to happen and any situation to come across.

So, while during the opening stages of the invasion I would advise you stick to their role - I would also advise you keep some curveballs that are out of their element in your bag of tricks. It is great to see your player's minds start working when they don't have their sentinels that they have trained with for months or their standard kit, or find themselves in a new and unusual position. YA FEEL ME!?

one trick you can pull in only war is to have almost no rhyme or reason to the initial missions the PCs are given

This can disorientate them and give them the sense that they are just cogs in a vast murder machine. It also gives them an incentive to roleplay social interactions with Department Munitorium officials officers and other regiments to find out more.

Wouldn't have thought of doing that Q, its a good idea actually. Puts into play as well that the PCs are expendable because they aren't in command.

All in all I think with what everyone has given me is going to shape up to be one of my better in depth games that isn't Rogue Trader

Cheers chaps :)

It is pretty awesome to actually share some experiential situations with others as passionate about the universe as you are. That is why I keep coming back to these forums. More often than not the "veterans" have a lot of helpful insight.

As for your particular position, I expect full updates on each game session in the form of After-Action Reports posted in the Fan Fiction section. Do us proud. ;)

Aye lad, I'm with Pearldrum. We all try to help each other with story ideas or rules or fluff debates and conversations about the most likely to be reality (Retirement in the Guard springs to mind.) It's great to see the opinions of others and their thoughts on my ideas and such things, whether you're new to Roleplaying or the Warhammer universe (Or both or neither.).

We all expect a full debriefing soldier, see what you did and what ideas you used. (You won't be alone, as if there's demand my new regiment one shot and potential campaign depending on player reception will be getting the write up posted here.)

Edited by Drath

For the help that I got of you guys, I'll give back with the (mis)adventures of my gaming group. Should be pretty decent. The majority of my players are looking forward to it (its been hyped from not long after I put the question on the forum). Will post some of the extra details (regiment fluff, etc) when I do some of the write up as well.

Game session is going to be in a fortnight and as soon as the game is done, it will be put up on the forum.

Excellent. I'll do mine too starting next Tuesday with both activities they did 'in game' and tidbits of regimental background chopped in there. I will read and utterly criticize (that was a joke, utterly compliment.)

Looking forward to it.
One thing that is sometimes lacking on the forum is feedback from the communities suggestions.

Edited by Visitor Q