Inconsistent Artwork

By aniedrig, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

Hi,

does anyone else think that the Artwork in this game is inconsistent? What I mean specifically is that the Artwork on the Hero Sheets is very cartoon-ish like in Descent, whereas the Artwork on the Cards looks more realistic, very much like in Star Wars: The Card Game.

Hero Sheets:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5124

Cards:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/imperial-assault/news/figure-packs/i-make-my-own-luck.png

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/imperial-assault/news/figure-packs/hide-in-plain-sight.png

Now I personally like the realistic style on the Cards far better than the cartoon-ish style on the Hero Sheets. I would have preferred the same realistic style on the Hero Sheets. The cartoon-ish style looks a little bit too childish for my taste, much like those animated series. I wonder why they chose such inconsistent Design.

Edited by aniedrig

The realistic card art is most likely recycled from other FFG Star Wars games.

So FFG has decided to go "cartoonish" for the unique art specific for IA. It's probably to appeal to the casual gamer and possibly to mirror the new Star Wars Rebels show. I have not see the show, so I very well could be wrong about the styles matching.

Edited by tofubones

They utilize a wide range of artists, as well as having a wide range of art ready to use.

They utilize a wide range of artists, as well as having a wide range of art ready to use.

yeah, I am aware of that. But nevertheless. Any Video Game or movie on the market was designed by a wide range of artists, and nevertheless all of them are consistent. In fact, if they were not consistent these movies or games would seem very strange to the customers.

And that's what I am saying. The artwork in this game seems strangely inconsistent to me.

And if they are recycling the Artwork, too, I wonder how they justify the price. I mean, what isn't recycled in this game?! The game is a 90% copy of Descent and the artwork is recycled, too?

I've played a fair few FFG games and I see this "inconsistent" art in many of them: Runewars, Rune Age, and BattleLore 2e are just a few of them. It doesn't bother me at all. Does the art convey what the card represents? Yes? Then I don't want to pay more for new art just so it "matches everything else." That's my opinion, anyway. You don't have to agree.

They have some wide variety of art in Netrunner and AGOT. Why should this game be different?

I'm just saying it would have been nice, if they made everything consistent. it adds a lot to the atmosphere of a game imo.

but whatever, I preordered everything anyway ^^

while consistant art would be nice and feel more genuine, the ultimate problem is on the ouput the more realistic artist can do. Hence why they utilize other artist who have different styles. One could make an argument on the comic artist having different styles, or on a movie universe where actors are changed, IE Iron Man changes the role of war machine, or even a recast due such as Obiwan having to be recast as a younger actor (which obviously makes sense but can still be argued because it is in fact two different actors playing the same person). Clone wars has a very different look from the trilogies but still is accepted and is now canon.

Ultimately I am concerned with the game mechanics and the fun factor more then the art. I personaly would have prefered them to just use screen shots from the movie for the best genuin feel we could get, but that limits them to just the movies. So I can understand and now accept why they choose to use paintings and drawings. As long as they give us a great game I will be happy!

A huge chunk of the artwork I've seen for Imperial Assault is recycled from Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion as well as X-Wing. They do the same thing with their Warhammer Fantasy products.

Edited by GMmL

I'm just saying it would have been nice, if they made everything consistent. it adds a lot to the atmosphere of a game imo.

but whatever, I preordered everything anyway ^^

I understand where you are coming from. I do. I am not at all creative, so it doesn't bother me.

On the other hand, after having played numerous FFG games, I continue to BEG them to get good writers/editors and review all text on cards, and in the rules, etc. and remain consistent there - since this greatly impacts being able to play the game.

In addition, please please please please please ... create a Definition of Terms appendix in all of your games and actually define all of your key terms. Since this would be part of the rule book, you have all kinds of space to get verbose (where it may not fit on the cards).

I swear this would reduce your FAQs by 90%.

Being an old school role player I'm kind of used to even the older game books consisting of numerious artists and styles within their pages, so seeing this here doesn't bother me at all. I do know what you mean, but if you've read any of the older TSR or Palladium RPGs out there you'd see this was a regular practice. It's a good way to get a variety of artists seen and recognized, as styles and favors vary from reader to reader. Could just be me, though, as I like to see different takes on a common theme.