Faerie Trod query.

By Ancient Virus, in Talisman Rules Questions

Hi fellow Talisman fans.

I've recently purchased The Woodland and am unsure as to whether I am playing the card correctly. Please could someone explain the application of the card text as a normal adverture card.

Thanks

If you have a Path card (and if you are in the Woodland you will) then you must discard it and take the top card from the Path deck as a replacement. So it won't come from the three that are available at the entrance.

If you are using the alternate ending " Wanderlust " then you can have a Path in a region other than the Woodland and would do the same.

If you pull this card while you are in another region and you do not have a Path then you ignore it since it says "...if able".

Edited by adjogi

Thanks adjogi, that makes perfect sense. Think I just had a bit of a brain freeze with the card. Thanks again.

Not really. As Wanderlust Ending suggests, a Path card can be used in Regions other than the Woodland.

Moreover, the "Twisting Paths" rules say:

When a character with a Path leaves a Region he must discard his Path Card.

It doesn't say "leaves the Woodland", because a character can have a Path in any Region.

Faerie Trod says to discard a Path, if able (=if you have one to discard), and take a new Path. Without the words "if able", I would have thought that the second instruction was bound to the first, but not as it is written.

Faerie Trod is an Adventure Card and it gives a Path to a character on the main board. He won't be able to resolve the Destiny effect, but the Travel effect will accompany him as long as he stays in the same Region.

Ah, thanks Warlock

We tried the Wanderlust ending this weekend and if we didn't miss anything the destiny effect is only important if you're in the woodland region. Otherwise you've to resolve the eyrie, treasure chamber or town square as they're written to finish the path.

It is stated above that a character can have a path in any region. If he can get a path, using Wanderlust ending, only in the city, highland, dungeon or Woodland, and must discard said path upon exiting, how can he have a path in the outer or middle region. If drawing the Faerie Trod card in either of these two regions, he would never have a path to discard. That is how it appears to me. Can someone set me straight on when Faerie Trod would actually apply in the outer or middle regions?

Can someone set me straight on when Faerie Trod would actually apply in the outer or middle regions?

OK...I'm in the Outer Region and draw the Faerie Trod. The Faerie Trod is an Event from the main Adventure deck, so you would likely draw it in the Outer or Middle Regions.

"Discard your current Path, if able... "

I'm unable, because I don't have a Path.

"...and take a new Path from the top of the Path deck. "

OK. I now have a Path while in the Outer Region.

The Wanderlust ending does two things:

a) It allows you to gain a random Path from entering the Dungeon, Highland, or City;

b) It forces you to draw a random Path when entering the Woodland, instead of having face-up Paths available.

It doesn't stop you from having a Path in the Outer or Middle Region, from my understanding. The Faerie Trod works the same way whether you're playing with the Wanderlust ending or not.

Edited by Artaterxes

Thank you for the clarification.