Does Semi and Full Auto Fire Stack Damage

By Drama, in Deathwatch Rules Questions

Just wanted to know, in a game I'm running, I have a Dreadnought Librarian who is one of the more powerful character builds I have seen yet and somehow I have yet to even come close to damaging him but the question I have is a rule perhaps of one that I may have missed or not doing correct. Does semi and full auto damage stack besides using hit locations. If I were using a horde versus the dreadnought if I hit exceptionally well for maybe three or four hits would this damage stack after toughness and armor are subtracted? I know I'm grabbing at straws but there isn't too many weapons made in Deathwatch or even Black Crusade that will injure a Dreadnought.

no, each hit from semi and full auto attacks has armour and toughness applied against it separately.

Against Dreadnoughts, the weapon you should be using is Haywire Grenades, or equivalent. That will ruin his day very fast. Also, keep in mind that the already considerable pen of Melta weapons is doubled at short range, and Lascannons will do the job nicely as well. Also keep in mind that Vehicles did not have their damage decreased by errata stats, and if a Dreadnought is being deployed, it's entirely reasonable that one or more vehicles would oppose them, and heavy bolters on those will still pack a punch.

If you're worried about Force Dome making an already tough killing machine literally impossible to damage, keep in mind that the stronger the dome is, the more room you have to fit enemies within that bubble as well, and it does absolutely nothing to mitigate damage coming from sources within the bubble itself.

Ok thank you.

Notably, Zoanthropes will make short work of any Dreadnought using Warp Lance - though if you let the Librarian make use of Psychic Hood, this may not work as well.

The errata actually applies to all weapons of the same type, including vehicles.

Technically, a Force Dome protects anyone (friend/enemy) within it, regardless of an attack's point of origin (outside/inside).

The errata actually applies to all weapons of the same type, including vehicles.

Technically, a Force Dome protects anyone (friend/enemy) within it, regardless of an attack's point of origin (outside/inside).

I believe he was referring to all the vehicle only weapons. They weren't put on the errata list.

As for your high armored friend, you could try sappers with melta bombs. Krak missile hordes are plausible, chain fist champions? Greater demons of Tzeench can inflict perils without themselves being affected.

Hrmm, I would agree with you on the first point, except that the errata itself indicates a different damage value, notably in page 8, under chapter 4, vehicles, where it specifically calls out the correct damage values of vehicle mounted heavy bolters as being 2d10+10 X. Why errata the same damage value twice?

On the second point, I accept your interpretation as valid based on the RAW, but I entirely disagree with it, both based on the description (as a shell, not some sort of permeating fog or miasma), logic, and the fact that it is far, far less tactically interesting.

It's one thing to say that, as an example, they could activate force dome and essentially wade through acid, protected from its effects by their bubble of safe environment carried with them, in my eyes effectively shunting it around them. It's quite another to say that they could, while entirely submerged in acid, activate it and somehow be protected against the acid which is now, per the power's description, trapped inside with them. If the description read that each individual within the power's radius was covered in a shell protecting them from harm etc, I would agree with you. As is, though I cannot show your position to be invalid using the rules text, I certainly won't be playing that way, and keep in mind that the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence, as it certainly does not specify that they are protected from sources inside, it simply does not specify regarding that point either way.

Agreeing with Dr. Quinn. Even if the text supports this interpretation of Force Dome, I'd strongly advise against it.

Keep in mind, the psychic power is a psychic power. The warp doesn't care for your pathetic physics.

Play it how you want, but that's how the rules say it works.

Vehicle weapons like turbo lasers hell strike missiles were left off. Those types were what i was referring to being unaltered by the errata.

Facing Front, 750m, S/–/–, 4d10+30 E, Pen 20, should put most munchkins in their place (as long as your burn out their forcefield first)

Of course, any weapon not present in the errata should still remain the same as their published rules.

Yeah, turbo-lasers can be a bad day without a power field. They are also a bad day with one too. Imagine a bolt of laser energy so intense it burns through any amount of armor with contemptuous ease. What do you think that would do to an area it hits? Turning rock formations into molten slag, sand into jagged glass, and flash igniting plant matter within 10-20 meters. Heck, the air temperature at the impact zone would jump in excess of a few thousand degrees. Overpreasure from the blast and atmosphere evacuation would toss anything not weighing several tons within the impact zone around like a ragdoll. Needless to say, the best way to survive a turbo-laser hit, is to not get shot at by one.

I'm for dr. Quinn on how to interpret Force Dome. By the way, rules state:

Summoning up a shimmering field of force, the Librarian fashions a shell around himself and nearby allies. The shell is a sphere extending up to the radius around, above, and below the Librarian and protecting him and any within it. The shell provides ... AP, even trapping air and water within it. However, it does not stop melee attacks or creatures (friend or foe) that may pass through it without restriction.

I think words "shell", "sphere" and description given clearly states that it is a barrier type, not cloud/miasma type. TT gives same description.

Edited by Aedwynn

Shell and sphere are just shapes, and define the extent and appearance of the power. The specific wording about affects are, "...and protecting him and any within it." This does not state, "...those within it only from attacks originating outside of it." Only that those within the sphere or shell gain the protection from ranged attacks. This is not ambiguous wording, even if it were not the intended function.

As I am not vested either way, but rather only sticking to telling you how the official rules are meant to be used (and absent additional clarifications, what is written is what is intended), I will send Tim a question on this.

In the mean time, play it how you want (I care not), just understand it is written as I have stated it as written.

Got a quick as you like response already, so here it is.

"The Rules as written apply to all ranged attacks, regardless of their place of origin relative to the effected characters.

However, the decision whether or not to use this rule as written or to interpret the psychic power’s narrative effect is entirely up to the GM.

Thank you for your question,

Tim"

So in the end, Play it as you like, but the rules are as stated.