How to do a Saber-lock

By Atomisk, in Game Mechanics

Ahh, I see. I'm confusing what you said about a saber-lock being wrestling with actual infighting as practiced in real life. Wrestling with the blade is only good in Star Wars, that was where I was coming from.

Wrestling with a blade is good in real life. I have done it.

Wrestling with a blade is good in real life. I have done it.

Arrrrrrgh me hearties, I be Captain Hook, Arrrrrgh. :D

Ahh, I see. I'm confusing what you said about a saber-lock being wrestling with actual infighting as practiced in real life. Wrestling with the blade is only good in Star Wars, that was where I was coming from.

If you look at the instances of saber-locks in the movies, particularly in the Luke vs. Vader fight in RotJ, you do see them struggling against the other, in a blend of trying to pull the blades apart but doing so in a way that doesn't put them at an immediate disadvantage.

Sounds like you're too hung on the idea of "wrestling = grappling" as opposed to what Daeglan's referring to.

I realize I haven't been clear about one thing: I'd like it called out so that it continues to be part of the game lore. I like it as a concept, as part of the unique flavour of lightsaber combat. I'm less concerned about how the mechanical details, if any, are implemented, more just as a reminder that it exists and can be included in the narrative.

If you look at the instances of saber-locks in the movies, particularly in the Luke vs. Vader fight in RotJ, you do see them struggling against the other, in a blend of trying to pull the blades apart but doing so in a way that doesn't put them at an immediate disadvantage.

Sounds like you're too hung on the idea of "wrestling = grappling" as opposed to what Daeglan's referring to.

Thank you for saying what I am trying to say better.

In my sword play I do this all the time. If done right you can gain advantage.

Edited by Daeglan

I realize I haven't been clear about one thing: I'd like it called out so that it continues to be part of the game lore. I like it as a concept, as part of the unique flavour of lightsaber combat. I'm less concerned about how the mechanical details, if any, are implemented, more just as a reminder that it exists and can be included in the narrative.

And yet the core rulebook doesn't make any serious distinctions with other combat results, such as what happens if the attacker misses with a ranged attack or connects with a punch to wind up dealing no damage. The sole exception is grappling, which gets a sidebar that amounts to "use the Brawl skill, and inflict the damage as strain instead of wounds" rather than going into an in-depth system on grappling that most other RPGs would do.

Much like tactical combat at the squad or large-scale level didn't get added to the AoR core rulebook in spite of a deluge of requests for exactly that, I suspect that if saber-locks do a get a mention, it'll be in the inevitable GM Kit, quite possibly as s side-bar in a section discussing how to implement cool duels into one's game.

I suspect that if saber-locks do a get a mention, it'll be in the inevitable GM Kit, quite possibly as s side-bar in a section discussing how to implement cool duels into one's game.

In the end, that's all I'd want.

I dunno, I still like my talentish write-up at the beginning of the thread. Just an alternate way to spend disadvantage/despair results.