Ministorum spaceships?

By Saedroth, in Rogue Trader Gamemasters

Hi everybody,

I'm searching for an insert, somewhere in the RT or DH books, without finding it: it was about some spaceships belonging to the Ministorum and used as space jails for rogue traders and fleet officers. Those ships were described as magnificent and perfectly decorated as the Ministorum can make them, but the prisonners can't benefit from all this perfection: thick gauntlets preventing them to feel the softness of the materials, that sort of thing.

Can someone remember where is this insert (book, page)?

Many thanks

It was in Hostile Aquisitions somewhere, personally I thought that concept was a bit too silly and overwrought even for 40k.

If memory serves there's a good description of one in Matt Farrer's Shira Calpurnia series (I want to say Legacy , but it could easily be Crossfire . Pretty sure it isn't Blind though).

I believe it was a ship of penitents overseen by a Navigator doing it as part of their own personal penance for the crimes of their House. Outer compartments of the ship (including virtually all airlocks) were sealed from the internal spaces, and patrolled by arco-flagellants, with the only safe access being via the cargo bays (presumably, since the ship was mostly occupied carrying supplies for the various planetary ecclesia on its route).

I'd have to go dig out my copies of the series to be certain though, and that could take a while. Worth it though: they're pretty **** good.

Yes I believe it was the first book in that series (the one where she is first transferred to the hive world (it has been a long time since I have read it and my books are on another continent at the moment)) I believe it was offered as an option to penitents with experience as ship crew but I assume it is a voluntary penance (though the other option might be you become an arco-flagellant).

Also yes it is a very very good read, I will need to find the others (when I last checked it didn't have any sequels I think).

Thank you very much, guys. I was able to find the description of those ships in "Hostile Acquisition", but I will take a look in Legacy. I think it might be a good WTF encounter for a cold trader: there must be only a few of those ships in the Imperium, but it can be a grim reminder of what can happen to a rogue trader who often breaks the Lex Imperia, even if he hasn't been caught yet.

Sorry- Crossfire is the one it's in (thanks Bron), but Legacy is a pretty good source for possible details regarding RT succession crises, or the odd cliques and traditions that could arise within a Dynasy