Skilled Assistance and the Force

By GranSolo, in Game Mechanics

Since FaD is all about playing a party of Force users, how would an attempt of combining your powers to achieve a single end work? Are you allowed to pool every characters' Force dice when you use a talent that allows to add Force dice to a check?

Are you allowed to pool every characters' Force dice when making a Force power check, like Move?

I could suggest put together all FR for a single roll and use it for a single Force check. Also for each additional PC who helps add a Boost to Discipline check or use the cooperation rules.

Hope it helps :)

If there's a whole bunch of Force Users trying to do one task, say lift a really heavy object, I might have one of them make a Leadership check to coordinate everybody. You don't want 5 Jedi pulling in different directions.

Edited by Split Light

Since FaD is all about playing a party of Force users, how would an attempt of combining your powers to achieve a single end work? Are you allowed to pool every characters' Force dice when you use a talent that allows to add Force dice to a check?

Are you allowed to pool every characters' Force dice when making a Force power check, like Move?

There's nothing official, so ultimately go with what works best for you and your group.

This topic has come up in the past, and some GMs have balked at the idea of a group of Force users suddenly rolling 5 or more Force dice for a task.

I'd say the best method would be to just have each PC involved roll their Force die as you suggested, but that the group has to nominate a lead character, that each character involved needs to have at least the basic power, and that the effects of the Force power invoked are limited to what that lead character as purchased.

So to use Move as an example, if you've got a group of 4 PCs, all Force users but only 3 of them have the Move power at all, then only 3 PCs could form a group check.

PC 1 has Move, a Range Upgrade, and a Magnitude Upgrade.

PC 2 has Move, 2 Range Upgrades, 2 Magnitude Upgrades, a Strength Upgrade, and the hurl objects Control Upgrade.

PC 3 has Move, 2 Range Upgardes, no Magnitude Upgrades, 3 Strength Upgrades, and the hurl objects Control Upgrade.

If PC 3 is nominated as the lead, then the group can only affect a single object, since PC 3 has no Magnitude Upgrades. In contrast if PC 2 were the lead, the group could affect up to 3 objects, but are limited to Silhouette 1 objects.

From another post of mine... (thanks Donovan XD)

Hi everyone!

This days I was discusing and looking for guidance with developers and with other people too about if there is a rule for Force cooperation (someone aiding another one).

I have a few samples like combined-Move in some chapters CW/Rebels, multi-Influence against Cad Bane, multi-Farseeing at the Jedi Council... and a few more samples.

After a few hours of geek-discussions XD we get a possible options and I'm looking for your opinion.

After a loong and booring intro...

Considering that cooperation rules are the same (Combine higher Ranks/Attribute on the Skill or adding Boost), every extra person aiding with the power let exchange a pip (LS <->DS). Would you add any Strain or extra cost or the fact that that another one must spend an Action is enough?

Suggestions? Thanks :)

Personally I wouldn't add any extra strain or cost or anything.

This comes up a lot in our AOR games. As both the Emergents have been trained since they were young to fight ina unit and support their fellows, I let them pool their Force Dice and split any costs between them.

Personally I wouldn't add any extra strain or cost or anything.

This comes up a lot in our AOR games. As both the Emergents have been trained since they were young to fight ina unit and support their fellows, I let them pool their Force Dice and split any costs between them.

How many Force Dice are we talking though?

Are they each at Force Rating 1, Force Rating 2 with an Ongoing Effect active most the time, Force Rating 2 with no Ongoing Effects, or have they gone even higher than FR 2?

The more Force dice that get rolled, the greater chances of success and generating an astounding effect, particularly in the case of activating various upgrades multiple times. Having only 1 Magnitude Upgrade and 1 Strength Upgrade for Move when the PC is only rolling 2 Force Dice isn't a big deal, but with the Beta Week 8 change, rolling 4 (or more) Force dice means that the PC is far more likely to generate extra Force Points, enough to trigger that one Strength Upgrade quite a few times while having a Force Point left over for a Range Upgrade, or perhaps use that Magnitude Upgrade to affect several Silhouette 1 objects all at once to pelt a single target (5 objects at 10+success damage each is a lot of damage, even if assuming the difficulty is increased per the Auto-fire rules even though attacking a single target).

Or, simply using Influence to spend all those potential Force Points to break someone's mind simply by activating the basic effect several times. With rolling 4 Force dice, that's a potential 8 Force Points if the PCs are lucky, and if the person using the power has the Strength Upgrade, that's potentially 16 points of strain in one shot if engaged with the target, slightly less if the Force users need to trigger a Range Upgrade or opt to brain-slap a couple of different targets at once with the Magnitude Upgrade.

Hi everyone!

I suggested the " every extra person aiding with the power let EXCHANGE a pip (LS <->DS) " because in my game the main player PC have FR 6, and his main partners (NPC mostly) have between FR 2 and 4 (even a pair of 5's). So, in my game just adding tons of dices can be problematic considering "max" results.

Thats the reason why I believe that, aside normal cooperation rules, every extra person let exchange 1 pip to the main Power executor. This way you can only exchange up to the max of the possible results from dices.

In the few samples I watched seems that doesn't care that is a young padawan helps you, it works. It's like cooperation rules when someone helps you (3 Y 1 G) with his/her skill (2 Y 1G) that only adds a Boost because your skill is superior.

So, with this method you cannot throw planets as throwing weapon (improvised I supose XD) but you will almost "asure" a minimal success.

Edited by Josep Maria