Limited command cards

By Nemovonutopia, in Warhammer: Diskwars

from how I understand the rules, in a one hero game each side picks 2 command cards at the beginning and uses only them throughout the entire game. Is that right?

If it is right it seems very limiting and prevents adaptation as the situation changes. Also, in the last game I played, the order in which we played never changed, I always went first.

My first interpretation of the rules was that each player got to pick new cards from the command card deck each round which would take more time, but it should allow each side to adapt.

Your interpretation is incorrect, you do pick 2 cards per hero and stick with them for the game.

I would add that this game really does seem to be balanced around running two heroes per player, so I can't image a one hero game being very much fun.

At two heroes, you have four command cards, which allows you to have a meta-game of trying to predict which command card a hero will play. With one hero and two command cards, this meta-game is practically non-existent.

The flexibility and adaptation come in on how you maneuver your units and use terrain to your advantage. Again, at one hero, you just don't really have enough units to do much interesting, just like you don't really have enough command cards to really get a feel for the richness of the game.

Any particular reason why you're only running one hero?

Edited by dkartzinel

I was teaching two of my friends and wanted to keep it short because they had to leave soon. I also didn't think there would be much of a difference.

Thanks for the advice,

Yeah, play 2 heroes. Agree with everything DK said. Explain the basics and get into action. Leave things to teach as the opportunity arises within the game. Have fun prebuilt armies for the first game unless your friends want to build their own.play with just 2 pieces of terrain, I like Lake and Rocks. And, make sure to have a nice surface so the disks won't slip.

My tried and true first game army is:

Valkya

Bloodthirster

Flamer

Plaguebearer

Archaon

Bloodcrusher

Hellcannon

Marauders x2

Nurgle's Rot, Intimidate, blood for the blood god and Lure.

We just played a 3-player game with 2 regiments per player. Lasted about 4 hours. Tons of fun. :D

My wish is to actually run a 4-player game with 5 regiments each. :P