Questions regarding the scenario "Dark Pursuits"

By seanpp, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

1. Speed of Suvfaeras - Suvfaeras has a very low Agility of 18 and the Hoverer Trait (p437). The speed of those creatures with the Hoverer Trait (p136) is specified per individual creature by a number in parentheses with the Trait - but that number is omitted for Suvfaeras. (Also important to note that there doesn't seem to be any stated connection between a creature's Hoverer speed and its Agility.) Instead we are given a footnote with his Hoverer Trait that states "he is unconcerned with certain laws of physics" and "does not need to use any Movement actions in order to remain hovering." Okay - so how fast is his hover? Central to his role in the scenario is him being chased - so his speed is kind of important... :blink:

2. Suvfaeras is listed as having the Furious Assault talent - but that doesn't exist in 2e. So I'm thinking Devastating Assault on p126. Thoughts?

Suvfaeras' Claws

Lans Guljian

1. For the speed I think it should be whatever you need it to be to make the encounter as exciting as possible.

2. I think you're right and that it should be devastating assault

3. Clearly an error it most certainly should be rending

4. I would go with the four months and ignore the part about him changing for over a year

F URIOUS A SSAULT

Tier: 2

Prerequisite: Weapon Skill 35

Aptitudes: Weapon Skill, Offence

The character’s speed and martial prowess allow him to land several blows where lesser combatants land one. If the character successfully hits his target using the All Out Attack Action, they may spend their Reaction (and thus cannot Parry or Dodge until their next Turn) to make an additional Attack using the same bonuses or penalties as the original attack.

- Only War 144 on Furious Assault

Out of curiousity, I found [Furious Assault] for you. For all intents and purposes, [Devastating Assault] is fine since an [All Out Attack {Action}] prevents the use of Reactions anyway, even in Only War. Basically, Devastating Assault is the Talent that makes more sense as written since Furious Assault makes the user pay a cost that was already paid. What a twist, huh?

Edited by Asymptomatic

Asymptomatic , thanks for looking that up. Yup, Devastating Assault fits well.

Mortagan , finding a speed that makes the encounter best had occurred to me, as well. Let's start with - I wouldn't think too fast, because then it just probably easily outruns them and the encounter more likely ends quickly. Too slow and it's not much of a "chase". I'm thinking a speed at which they can catch it, more often then not, will be more interesting because it's pretty darn powerful. That will pose the question to them - are you sure you want to catch it?

So Hoverer (5) is clearly too fast and (1) easily eliminated. I think (4) is still too fast, if you want them to catch up with it a few times or more. It's between (2) and (3). (2) is slower than every Acolyte in the Cell and (3) is slower than 3 out of 4 of them. I think (3) is the winner.

I would prefer not to crack open "Dark Pursuits" because spoilers, but there's no harm in having the... whatever it is get higher Hoverer traits. Just because it has a higher max speed doesn't mean that it always travels at that speed after all. Also, it flying at less-than-top speed lulls the Acolytes into a false sense of security when they think they can catch it. Then BAM! suddenly Suvfaeras bolts off faster than they can blink. Sounds more fun to me that way.

Edited by Asymptomatic