Gunner - comrade ability

By pearldrum1, in Only War Rules Questions

My group's Operator has asked me if the Gunner comrade ability would allow him to man a weapon in the Chimera while his comrade manned a second weapon in the Chimera.

I don't know if the ability was intended to work that way. As I understand it, it is there to allow the comrade to operate a vehicle weapon while the Operator drives said vehicle. However, there is also nothing saying that it cannot be used this way.

Thoughts?

G UNNER

Type: Passive

Cost: 250 xp

Effect: When the Operator is driving a multi-passenger vehicle, his Comrade can jump in and man one of the guns, firing upon the Operator’s command. If the Operator spends his Turn driving a vehicle, he may also make a Ranged Attack Action using whatever gun his Comrade is manning, as if he were stationed at it himself. This uses the Comrade’s Full Action for the Turn.

- Only War Core 81 on Operator Comade Advances

This is what you were referring to, yes? My interpretation is that the [Operator] can act as both driver and gunman for one turn by sacrificing both his and his [Comrade]'s turns. He can only use the gun that his Comrade is manning. If the Chimera had [Turret A] and [Turret B] with the Comrade behind Turret A, the Operator could act as if he was both driving and behind Turret A. The Operator could not use Turret B in this circumstance, nor could his Comrade act the in Turn the Operator wanted to activate this passive. This passive also does not work if the Operator is in anything but the driver's seat driving, such as if he was behind Turret B. Does that help?

That is what I was leaning towards as well.

Totally helps. Thank you.