Diary's of a Commissar : Entry three: Against the Green Savages

By CommissarWilliams, in Only War Fan Fiction and War Stories

The written account of Commissar Lithonius Haddaways Adventures and life.

This account has been copied into the records by Nogai Albarazi, senior scribe and record keeper of house Haddayway. The most Noble of farming houses.

These accounts were taken from our noble masters diary's , and turned into a novel , so subjects of the Emperor can read and understand mistakes made, and victories won.

Looking back on my life it was not the first time my younger self relished the thought of battle over the thought of retirement and lasting long enough to see that day. While my career was dotted with mishmash regiments, or proud soldiers of the emperor, none were quite the same as the rag tag band of Guardsmen Known as the 10th Cadian Siege dogs. A regiment known for holding the line and wars of attrition. They were a strange bunch of men. But they did their duty.

After consulting the Scholar Tacitus book and the Imperial uplifting primer, I found it best to pile the ork bodies and burn them. Apparently It seems the orks reproduce by spores, something which I found oddly disturbing. Though we had plenty of fuel to burn every ork body on the planet if we so wished. Though the smell was some what over whelming. The only Death from the battle was Private stubbs and a few locals. We buried his body, or better to say what was left of it. We packed away his equipment that was still in some functioning use ready to be repaired and sent back.

After relaying with command I was ordered to hold and rebuild the Refinery, we would be a check point for passing patrols, and refueling station for the war effort, while It was a boring task I set about it with like any Commissar would, shouting orders, and rallying the troopers. I was informed we would be here for two months, before we would be redeployed.

I positioned The command Chimera back at the center of the Refinery , while the Other Chimera at the gate. Once all seemed clear I set up two hour shifts and called it a day. No need to stay up all night for no reason. I slept in the back of the Command Chimera with Private Smith, I had ordered him to wake me in four hours while he monitored the Vox, and I in turn would . Keeping a good face, seeing as I had slaughtered his entire squad. Well to be fair the Orks did that, but I had ordered them out, though it was to save there lives, the orks I had found tended to shoot the big things first, rather then the smaller things. And when you have a guardsmen squad on the verg of trying to kill you, it's best you are not in a confined space where they can easily do it.

In the morning I set about Re organizing the camp Ready for the daily supplies and collections that would be coming through. I had Received anther squad to hold the base, with a few Cog boys to make sure things are in working order with the Refinery. I started by organizing the Locals into three groups, Militia, those who could or were willing to fight. Workers, those who could work on the Refinery, it's defenses building ect , and None combatants those who were to old to fight or children. The Militia were Trained up by our storm troopers while Corporal durel Had done a fine job, I thought that the training of Veterinarian troopers would give us a better quality of soldier , and the storm troopers had earned a much needed rest. While they would be leaving back for their unit in a few days, at which time Sergeant solomon and Durel would take over . There were about then of them over all male and female, I had them dressed in workers fatigues. The Fatigues were full body suits in a drab green with soft caps, the suits had a number of pockets, but with a pair of good boots seemed to fit the bill well enough. Kookie had found them in a box that seemed to have been used as a stool by the orks, judging by the arse pint in-beaded into the light wood.

Body armour would have to wait though, I had spoken to the leader of the cog boys, a Commodus Lese a Man full of metal, and augments as you would see any cog boy, though his right hand unaltered it seemed. He shook it gratefully thanking me for protecting the Omnisires Great work, I nodded and Instructed him once he had finished to over look the weapons and vehicles to make sure they were all in working order, and to craft some basic Armour for the Militia. He refused at first, but after convincing him that the militia would be here protecting the Omnisires refinery once we had moved on he was more then happy to do it , but it would take some time. In the mean time I had the Milita trained on Basic fitness, weapons maintenance and the basic operation of those weapons. We used spare lasguns from the Chimeras, and a few that were dropped off by a passing recon squad for us to use. We also had a few left over shotguns which came in handy arming the Milita's Squad leaders with them. Over all there were twenty in total.

I Had the workers start first on the construction of the Main gate, while I ordered Solivae and Private Levi to use the Chimera dozier blade to create a Moat compounds walls. The gate did not take Long, we had cut down a few trees, and the workers seemed very skilled in the art of construction. Then logs as high as the wall with pointed ends facing the sky were used, with five supporting ever side going length ways, the door split down the middle opening outwards, and was reinforced with metal taken from the battered ork vehicles. Luckily this only took a day, and a crude locking mechanism was fashioned. It seemed secure enough, and the cog boys agreed. Over the course of the next few days , a new Barack's was set up able to house all the imperial squads and the militia squads. We burned around anther 50 meters all around the clearing to enlarge it, and set about constructing an outer wall with moat, in side the moat we placed spikes of a number of sizes aimed at stabbing any charging orks. The wall was two logs thick and buried into the ground, with two logs at the top and bottom for support. A walking platform was fashioned which allowed patrols of the wall. the platform only exposed the top half of the body, after anther week we had managed to clear away anther 100 meters around the newly created outer wall , created a gate for the outer wall, a Chapel , a meeting hall which doubled as a class room for the children. Every week I would host a meeting with the locals in that hall to discuss future plans, congratulate them on the weeks work, the normal stuff to keep moral up. We constructed an Armory and store house in the original compound which I had guarded by the Imperial guardsmen , It was made out of both wood and metal. All the supply's where checked and account for daily to make sure nothing went missing, the locals hated it but I assured them it was in there best interest.

Troops and supply convoys came through all the time, and we had established a protocol of having them check in at the first gate, then wait in a make shift vehicle lot. Some of the Local woman had set up a make shift Cafe selling hot food and drinks, meat which was obtained quite easily from the local wild life, and I had acquired quite a taste for Cat on a stick as they called it. They sold the food and drinks for supplies , weapons , ammo, and before long a small market had popped up, where Guardsmen could acquire many things , from spare weapons, to trinkets and supply's.

The Militia's armour had finally be finished, it was a crude breast plate, with knee and shoulder guards, made of thin strong metal, with a absorbent material behind it to take blows. It seemed to hold up to lasfire, out of then shots it deflected one took six and let three through, I doubt it would stop a ork bolt or blade, but it would do at least something.

After the second week we had managed to attach search lights to all the towers in the original camp, we now called the keep, and set up a bunker facing the new front gate with a heavy bolter we managed to scavenge from an ork truck, The Cog boys had said it's machine spirit was still loyal and after a few shots it seemed to be edger for ork blood.

The compound soon grew into a village houses were built and over the course of a very shoot time, every one but the guardsmen had there own home, the Villages all seemed happy. We had a few issues with the Orks though, but the training of the militia kept them at bay for the most part. Though I did lead a small team out to ambush a truck that was heading in our direction. I wanted to see what the militia group was capable off. The Truck was spotted by a passing Valkyrie in a small clearing around two hundred meters south, I was lead by First squad, of the militia dart through the jungle like they were one with it. I on the other hand almost lost my footing a few times, but managed to seem gracefully enough.

The orks had pulled over to eat it seems, a large Turtle like creature they had run over. Their meal was shortly ended by a hail of lasgunfire and a few bolt rounds. Their were ten orks all together, three went down in the first volly, one to my bolt rounds the other to the lasgun, at which point the leader a slightly larger one, with what seemed to be a chain axe charged us shouting Warggggghh!! as all orks tend to do, the rest were cut down as they charged, The Militia taking short full auto bursts, a thin redheaded girl named Digna put down two with rapid short bursts of lasgun fire. The knob. as there leaders were known, charged me directly, it's armour shrugging off the lasgun bolts I fire my last two boltgun rounds into it's chest, they punched through the armour and out the other-side though that did not seem to stop it, I darted out the way at the way of it's first blow, a tree shattered in half behind me, holstering my pistol I drew my chain sword and charged into battle,dodging anther blow, I slashed at the beasts arm finding my mark cutting it almost in half. I ducked and rolled under it's arm, draging my blade through it's thigh, the beast yeld in pain, and brought a scavage looking pistol to bear, I dodged it's first shot and rammed my sword it into it's neck, my sword bucked and wined . The ork gargled on it's own blood just before I severed it's head , we salvaged what we could from the ork Vehicle before destroying it.

By the end of two months the Refinery had grown to around 120 locals, with 10 cog boys, two Priests, and twenty imperial guardsmen. Smith had become my personal Aid. We had even set up working showers. It was a shame when we had to leave, I had even started to give leasons to the Red head girl Digna on how to use a sword. We dueled using wooden swords, it kept my skills up and If im honest she came close a few time to beating me toward the end of the training. She seemed to have a skill for death, and I put a note in for her to be sent to be trained by the Schola Progenia. She was only sixteen and with enough training I believe she could be a good Commissar, or a sister.

2065936774394317260214.png

Edited by CommissarWilliams

I really like this idea for a mission and how it deals with the down-time between battles.

I think I am going to try and employ something similar to this after taking an Imperial asset back from the enemy, task the soldiers with reinforcing and rebuilding it how they see fit before they are relieved.

Well done.

Gotta rebuild what you blow up, if not on a ork infested world, if your boys are fighting SD, then you could have it so they try to cause issues and problems ect.