Can Harm be used as part of Brawl check?

By jcutcher, in Game Mechanics

I'm reminded of the old D&D touch spells where the caster has to roll an attack. Albeit an easier attck because it got to ignore armor.

Anyway, the description of Harm's basic power states that the "character drains the very life from the target with a touch"

Brawling with bare fist is touching. No?

I realize Harm is already being looked at as overpowered, but I don't currently see a reason to disallow it as part of a Brawl attack.

This game is not an old version of D&D, its at least somewhat balanced ;) .

The reason you don't allow both to be used at once is they both take actions and you only get 1 action per turn.

I could see giving this ability to an inquisitor as an alternative to giving him multiple turns in a round though, that could be very cool.

That's what I'm talkin' bout Xerox.

Break out the bad guy.

There is a scene in the Legacy comics that always came to mind with Harm/Wound. It was a fight between a younger wyrlock (Darth Wyrlock's daughter, and Darth Stryfe. In one scene, she uses the force to crack his limb, actually (IIRC, away from my trades) breaking his arm. They were definitely in engaged range too.

Just a little food for thought.

By RAW, making a Brawl attack and using the Harm power are both Actions, of which a character (PC and NPC alike) only get one of during their turn.

Now the attacker can certainly choose to narrate the usage of Harm as being an unarmed attack that causes the target to suffer extreme pain and/or severe internal damage upon contact. In fact, it could be suggested that using Harm against an unwilling engaged target requires a Brawl check as part of the Force power check to successfully "touch" the target, with the target getting any defensive perks they have against melee attacks.

Thebearisdriving,

I've got that issue (#34), and while it looks more like telekinesis that Saarai (the character's name) was using, it could be described as Harm, though I'm thinking Bind fueled by dark side Force points (and lots of them) would be a bitter fit for what she did, with the Mastery Upgrade employed to inflict a critical injury in the process.

Of course, it could be those things. And harm is just as capable of causing a critical injury with the control upgrade.

I have chosen to interpret that as an example of Harm (or wound from the SAGA days) since I first read that comic. It didn't look like a grip to me (which while Bind isn't grip exactly... it's grip :) )

That being said, can anyone find an example of Harm, that's not from a video game?

Personally, if I can link Harms with a canon source, probably, would be Talzin voodoo that used against Dooku.

But why not, every force clan/sect can have its own "ritual/way to do" to execute powers :) Maybe a force clan have to do some type of dance (with a movement) or chant something to do a "Move" power.

At your will ;)

And I'll want to add that fits even more if you consider Harm counterpart, Heal. Talzin seems the only one (well, darkmagik users) that can REALLY heal people and rise from death, so, it fits 100% :)

I think you could do it if you have 'The Force is my Ally' Talent. It lets you suffer two strain to perform a Force power action as a maneuver.

Suppose you were a Sage/Healer with 'The Force is My Ally' and the Heal/Harm Power and a dark-side attitude. As an action you make a Brawl attack, and succeed. The rules say [page 153 sidebar] that a Brawl attack can be narratively described as Grappling. Then you use the Harm power as a maneuver, and Harm the person you are already grappling with.

This sounds like a clever use of a force power that is unlikely to be noticed by witnesses, unlike using a light-saber (if you even have one). Mechanically there's little difference between doing enough damage with Brawling to take someone out and doing enough damage with Brawl + Harm to take someone out. Other than the Conflict for using Harm in the first place this seems like a viable Jedi tactic. I'd suggest going with a human and taking Brawl as a bonus skill to up your chances of hitting with Brawl in the first place. You won't be able to keep it up round after round but if you can do enough to knock them out in round one than you can keep using Harm on them every roung until they die or, if you have the time, switch back to Brawl only, and simply choke them to death.