Logic skill, how and when to use it?

By Jwoo, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Hello FFG forums. I am currently GMing a Dark Heresy game and after an almost total TPK I now find myself with a Tech-Priest who asked me: "Why should I take the Logic skill? What does it do?" And after reading through the skill description I couldn't really describe any good scenario for him to use it in!

So now I turn to you! Can someone bring me into the light for I am shadowed in darkness...

Pretend you are Mr. Spock? :)

Ive looked in the DH2 core book, to see what that said: the ability to think rationally, to solve puzzles and dissect information clearly and quickly. The way i would use it is as an ability to put two and two together. Example: player A, finds a bunch of crates full of xeno tech stashed away in a abandoned warehouse. Player B) has heard of a local hive noble taking trips into the lower hive oficialy to motivate the overseers in his factories. Player A, asks the Gm if there could be a conection. Gm tells the player to make a logic test. If the player succeeds the Gm tells him that the warehouse is owned by the same noble and he was last seen inspecting that location.

This has been brought up a number of times before, and one suggestion to take note of is to use Logic as an Interaction Skill when trying to convince people with cold logic - in particular, this should apply to Tech-Priest-to-Tech-Priest arguments, or to show someone that everyone walks away happy.

Inquisitor's has a helpful section on Expanded Skill Use. Page 233 lists some additional uses for Logic. Here is one that that may frequently invoked:

Sooth Machine-Spirits
You know the rites and rituals to placate an angry machine-spirit, coaxing it to cooperate. In the event of a weapon or equipment malfunction or Jamming, you may make a Difficult (–10) Logic Test to coax the machine-spirit into behaving itself. If the Test is successful, the weapon does not Jam or the piece of equipment does not malfunction.

- Inquisitor's 233 on Expanded Logic Use

An additional usage listed in the Inquisitor's Handbook is that of the "enigma", a roll that may be performed once per game session (though at –30) to conjure up some sort of insight into a selected topic.

Moreover, Logic serves as a supportive skill for some intellect-related skills, such as Scholasic Lore (Cryptography) and Cipher, and as such grants the usual +10 bonus to the latter.

Decode encrypted documents, make sense of remaining contents of a trashed datapad, collate and make references in large quantities of archives/records, win at tic-tac-toe, etc :)