Types of Zombies

By Kael, in Zombie Apocalypse

I don't think I'd ever give my players the option of fixing the apocalypse.

I'll mostly agree. I doubt that most (if any) of our gaming groups have anyone with the necessary skills and knowledge to fix a zombie apocalypse (depending on the cause). But it might make for some interesting scenarios if in addition to surviving, the players have an idea what is causing the "plague" and devote time to trying to gather the resources (including finding and rescuing experts) who might be able to come up with a solution.

step 1: play as a average Joe, plumber.

step 2: somehow fix the apocalypse.

step 3: Bill the remaining governements of the world with the words: "Yeah I've fixed yer zombie problem, but it wasn't cheap."

“I mean, are we talking brain-eaters? Demon possession? Rage zombies? How does it transmit? Through bites? Scratches? Blood? Bacteria? Radiation? Rock music!? I need to know what I’m dealing with!”
–A survivor who’s seen far too many movies

from http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5225

Zombies created by Rock music? Aw hell yeah! So gonna make my GM homebrew that scenario! Rock! \m/

Reminiscent of an old horror movie called Helloween , but as I recall the heavy metal music turned the teenagers into the demonically possessed.

Warp virus, good luck getting rid of that.

Why get rid of the virus? convert to Nurgle and all your worries will be over.

Come to papa!

It already exists, Disciples of the Dark Gods has a zombie virus.

Here's the thing, that's the tv universe, I don't know if that's endorsed by the comic makers as the reason for the infection.

Robert Kirkman (the creator of the comic) is the primary producer of the television show. Everyone is infected. Reanimation occurs after death no matter how you die, unless your brain in damaged or destroyed. It's the same in the comics. If you cut off a living person's head, the head will reanimate. This also happened in the show in the season 4 mid-season finale. The reason the head reanimates is because the victim had the virus. They died without the brain being damaged, so the head reanimates.

I hope all this made sense.

Everyone is infected. Reanimation occurs after death no matter how you die, unless your brain in damaged or destroyed.

I get that. I've read roughly 20 or so issues of the comics.

The reason the head reanimates is because the victim had the virus. They died without the brain being damaged, so the head reanimates.

The issue is that it wasn't explained in the comics that way, so we have no idea as to why it happens in that universe as opposed to it being a virus in the tv universe because they are divergent storylines.

So who's all gonna play a character from the Walking Dead?

I call dibs on Michonne.

I kinda stopped reading after a while when it became to much of a soap (I signed up for zombies dammit!) and Michonne went a bit soft on the Governor ;-)

You mean the "Guvnor" ;)

Yeah that guy was wishing he was in the matrix. :D

There is no spoon. there is no spoon! there is no spooooooooaaargh!

The reason the head reanimates is because the victim had the virus. They died without the brain being damaged, so the head reanimates.

The issue is that it wasn't explained in the comics that way, so we have no idea as to why it happens in that universe as opposed to it being a virus in the tv universe because they are divergent storylines.

I think zombies (in particular) are better when you don't explain how the zombies exist. No matter what the explanation is, it will come off sounding cheesy, create logical holes in the story and generally lessen the intrigue and suspense.

The whole CDC plot in Walking Dead TV (last episode of season 1, btw) is a perfect example of this. The brain activity recording that that guy shows us very clearly demonstrates that when a zombie reanimates, only a small portion of the brain down near the cerebellum actually shows any activity. The upper lobes are completely dark. CDC Guy even makes a point of saying there's no activity up there, and thus "who you were never comes back."

And yet, time and time again we've seen the survivors take zombies down with gun shots, arrows or other attacks that only damage the upper-frontal part of the zombie's skull, and don't touch the base of the spine, where the brain activity was seen in the recording. The one that really got me was a zombie Daryl killed in the river mid-way through season 2. He stabbed an arrow up through the eye socket and it came out the crown of the skull. All of maybe three inches from the forehead.

According to CDC Guy's research, those attacks shouldn't do squat to stop a zombie - it didn't damage any part of the brain that the zombie was still using.

We all know what a zombie is. When it comes to explaining them, less is more.

Edited by Steve-O

Zombie Survival guide is my go to explanation for and practical example of zombies, but these days people associate fungus with Last of Us which bugs me because those things aren't really zombies to me.

"... Whatever it is, it makes the dead stand up and walk!" - Dr. Menard, Zombi 2

I am reading Cell and it has kind of a neat take on zombies. They are created from using cell phones and have a hive mind and other mental powers.

I am reading Cell and it has kind of a neat take on zombies. They are created from using cell phones and have a hive mind and other mental powers.

... So like normal cellphone users? :D

But i do like the idea.

My Virus idea is one that infects the living making them wild maniacs (28 days) and can be killed like normal but when they die they become walkers, shuffling pretty fast but slow down the longer they are dead

I would use average zombies, like walkers and crawlers and sprinters. But I would also use behemoths from Dying Light

i used enemies from Left 4 Dead aswell

How the do you delete a post

Edited by ryolacap