The Grand Only War campaign

By Petrucus, in Only War Game Masters

My group, wants to play only war.

I want to GM them the Grandest of Campaigns.

The catch: I want to make it out of already published only war adventures.

I m trying to combine every single published adventure, that is from 11th Hour* to Against the savages , to Old Soldiers in GM's Kit to No Surrender and Final Testament.

Tell me how.

I promise I ll post APs!

Anyone done it already?

Is it even possible?

If you want something truly epic/good, avoid published adventures altogether.

I know what you mean , but thats the catch. To turn the published adventures into a whole that makes

a)Sense

b)A Grand Campaign

I'm not sure of the quality of the Only War Adventures, but I've found several of the published adventures very fun, and often easy to expand upon as needed.

Especially if someone is new to GMing, prefab adventures are excellent "training" until you feel ready to actually start writing or composing your own, or go completely free-form (free-form also tends to be a mess, depending on what you play and who's playing).

If you'd read No Surrender it actually has recommendations for using it following on from Final Testement and 11th Hour. It also has an obscenely hard final boss (no spoilers beyond that here). I'd put it in the following order. Old Soldiers -> 11th Hour -> Against the Savages -> Final Testement -> No Surrender, and consider tossing Old Soldiers to the winds entirely. Doesn't fit the progression particularly well no matter where you put it.

I managed to do something similar, although we didnt' arrive to Final Testament (game in standby).

We started with Against the Savages , which I think it's an excellent intro adventure.

Then we played 3 homebrew missions in the same ork-infested-jungle scenario (which included things like native jungle dwellers, monstruous creatures, IG deserters and an abandoned Astartes bunker).

And linked it with 11th Hour (really fun adventure, by the way), which we decided it could be played in the same jungle-planet.

The orkjungle campaign ended with a last assault to the ork megaboss base. The platoon was separated for a long time form the rest of the regiment during that mission, and so, we handwaved that half of their regiment departed to a new destination (Hervara), thinking that they were lost.

When things went to normal, the platoon joined temporaly another regiment: a perfect excuse to make them stop at Old Soldiers planet and fight some Dominates/Dark Eldars.

Seeing that they were good fighters and kind of heroic, some Echlesiarchic authority thought it would be interesting to rejoin them with their original Regiment in Hervara. So the platoon flew there with this important guy and his retinue (at that point the players thought that they were going to become some kind of specialized-commando-bodyguards) only to start Final Testament with a ship crashing in the middle of nowhere and a lot of casualties.

I haven't read No Surrender, but if the campaing had continued, we would have flew there for sure!

EDIT: before Old Soldiers we also played a "Halloween special IN SPAAAACE" which consisted in some mystery (xenos attack) in the spaceship.

Edited by whoseyes

Off topic but still relevant... maybe.

I started my group with Final Testament. It's PbP, so we have a while ahead of us. But would you all that have played them before advise after this, 11th Hour --> Against the Savages or Vice Versa?

It is also entirely possible that I will spin this off into a homebrew amalgamation.

Pet, I would follow Lazarus' advice and start with 11th. And while you do so, keep a detailed notebook of adventure seeds AS THEY COME INTO YOUR BRAIN and that way you can start constructing your own Homebrew recipes to throw in the mix so as not to go simply from one prefab to another like a robot. That way you are actually building the foundation of something brilliant and the prefabs are simply supplementing that.

Go with Lazarus and some of the others advice on here. Homebrew missions are always good as they throw in some spice to the game. It also helps players feel as though they have 'served' on the planets, because in-fluff, regiments don't jump around all that much from planet to planet, usually. My final little piece of advice is, try and write an adventure of your own (only when you're inspired, don't force it), and see if you enjoyed it. You never know.

11th Hour starts in some kind of Ork Fort, make that the Ork Fort form the end of Against the Sagaves