Any love for the Gaming Clubs?

By Mixxathon, in Android: Netrunner Organized Play

As usual, much focus is put on getting the games played in-store.

Not all have access to such a place, in fact, around here no one has.

What we do have access to is a very popular gaming club that runs activities all week round, and has been doing that since I helped starting it 1991.

We have alot of A:NR, SW, X-Wing, LOTR asof. players coming down to play every single week. It is runned like a non-profit organisation but everyone is really happy to work hard to make the events fun and successful.

So far, all is good right? Not at all actually. People around here are getting a bit fed up on companies that only supports stores. I mean, we attract more players than the big store located 100 kms away, but we can't even buy a game night kit? We spend tons of money, but are not trusted with running tournaments, despite having oodles of experience?

That is really getting old. I mean, we are trusted to run pre-releases for MtG and qualifiers for several of other games, and we get tons of free price support and material to help us making the events really great - but we are not even allowed to spend money for price support stuff with FFG. Mind you, I do not demand anything for free (although that would actually be quite fair, given the amount of work people put in to do these things and the amount of goodwill it would generate)

Is that actually a sound business model if one wants to grow?

One can always hope that will change.

Preach on, brother! I ran tournaments out of a local University, but I was able to acquire Prize Support from local stores to do it.

I've run events at my local game club by making friends with a local store who supports us by getting an extra kit to use at the club. Try finding a store that will order you an extra kit, charge $5 for the event, and give the money to the store.

Yes, it is possible to get the stuff if one jumps through the hoops. No local gamingstore here though, but it could be done.

That is besides the Point though :)

The Point is FFG should really recognize the potential in supporting the grassroots, the guys on the floor, not just their immediate source of income. If they are serious about their organized play, they need to think outside the stores and focus a bit on the people who are their players.

Also, stores might not be the largest source of income in many places. We buy all our stuff online... perhaps we should resort to running all our LCG events on our own verion of OCTGN instead? We have great artists so we could just create alternate art cards for the winners and be done with it.

Sorry for being negative, but the ignorance is starting to grate on my nerves :)