Dragonstar 5E

By mouthymerc, in Dragonstar

Hmmm, I may have to revisit this setting. Could be some potential here.

I had the same thought. Just "dusting" off my PDFs.

If you want any help let me know. I am not the best at conversions but I do think this would be a great fit.

I've converted all of the Dragonstar classes and adjusted races and such for 5.0. Made most of them paths for the core classes. Mechanic for Rogue, Pilot is a path that can be taken by any class. Added Use Device, Freefall, and Pilot to the skill list and boom, 5.0 high space adventures. Armor really hasn't changed so there wasn't any need to change things there. Ship vs ship was compartmentalized so no issues there. Pretty easy really.

Yes, I would very much like that! Converting this cool setting to 5E might be worth it and I would be thrilled to see an official return...

I've converted all of the Dragonstar classes and adjusted races and such for 5.0. Made most of them paths for the core classes. Mechanic for Rogue, Pilot is a path that can be taken by any class. Added Use Device, Freefall, and Pilot to the skill list and boom, 5.0 high space adventures. Armor really hasn't changed so there wasn't any need to change things there. Ship vs ship was compartmentalized so no issues there. Pretty easy really.

Would very much like to see what you came up with.

Would very much like to see what you came up with.

I, too, would very much like to see what you've done.

I had the same thought. Just "dusting" off my PDFs.

If you want any help let me know. I am not the best at conversions but I do think this would be a great fit.

I agree. I think its a **** better fit than 3.0 was!

I ran into this article (and 5 pages of rules) the other day and it really got me thinking how easily these would dovetail into a DragonStar 5e conversion. http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/modern-magic

I ran into this article (and 5 pages of rules) the other day and it really got me thinking how easily these would dovetail into a DragonStar 5e conversion. http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/modern-magic

This does look like a great article.

A repost from a PM for people who were interested:

The concept is pretty simple really. I turned most of Dragonstar classes into paths for the core class they resemble. Mechanic is a rogue path, Diplomat is a bard path etc. Most of the equipment and core mechanics are the same, the DCs just need a little readjustment. Add Use Device, Freefall, Pilot, and Navigate to the skill list.

There's levels of growth in all the paths. You can usually split the benefits of each of the unique classes between the levels with the base class being pretty obvious. Mechanic and Pilot share Rogue abilities so using them as a base is pretty easy. Technically you could use Pilot as an open path too usable by any class but rogue is the most applicable.

Take Mechanic for example.

Rogue base with the Mechanic Archetype.

Lvl 3 - jury-rig, guerilla repair, minor upgrade, 1st & 2nd favored tech, sabotage

Lvl 9 - Moderate upgrade, 3rd favored tech

Lvl 13 - 4th favored tech, major upgrade

Lvl 17 - 5th favored tech, Extraordinary upgrade, Masterful upgrade

Most of the other classes work the same way, including the prestige classes. Not only does it keep the core classes relevant, but it also gives them more options and you don't get a gimp diplomat who can't dig himself out of a back alley gunfight.

All the races are handled in either the 5.0 players guide or Monster manual. The exception is the Soulmechs which I've never liked so I use Warforged rules from Eberron.

I think upgrading Dragonstar to 5e is much more viable than using either Pathfinder or even 3.5. Two things - how to handle the spellware (including trauma symbiotes) and starships?

Ooh, I'd LOVE to see Dragonstar for 5e.

Of course, 5e needs more professional settings in general...

On 11/12/2015 at 11:26 AM, The CDM said:

I think upgrading Dragonstar to 5e is much more viable than using either Pathfinder or even 3.5. Two things - how to handle the spellware (including trauma symbiotes) and starships?

I'd have to go over the weird implants specifically but most of them speak for themselves already. Anything that gave a skill bonus before would just give advantage so many times a day. As for ships, their system was already separate from the core system so I don't see any real need to change it much.

I may try to set up an online RP server for my tailored Dragonstar setting if my RL and motivations allow.

I have done a conversion to 5e D&D which overall works pretty well. The basics are exactly that with little changes to the classes but many of the classes have proficiency in navigational software and some have proficiency in other equipment (demolition/explosives). There is a Gunfighter Archetype that I've gone with but as yet unsure about a pilot archetype as pilot is covered by backgrounds.

Hey all not to be a thread necromancer or anything but I found this thread when I was looking for "Dragonstar 5E" and specifically made an account to find out more of what you all did with this. If anyone is still out there with homebrew stuff for this I would absolutely love to see what you wrote up and chit chat more.

Aries0mega