The missing lightsaber forms where would they go?

By Daeglan, in Game Mechanics

Trakata Sentinel? Cunning?
Juyo Warrior? Brawn?
Jar Kai Seeker? Agility?

Vapaad

Sokan
Trispzest

What do you guys think?

They would go in the fluffy narrative.

Career books. Each Career could get a second style (you show 6, meaning it'll fit), with a separate Characteristic basis.

What about Teras Kasi?

The only place I know it from is Star Wars Galaxies, but it was pretty cool there. I wouldn't mind seeing a spec about that.

They generally add 3 careers with each splat book, so I could see one of them being a Lightsaber form. If there's not quite enough forms to go around, you could leave them out of the more noncombatty ones (consulars and such).

As far as attribute, I don't know the forms well enough. I'm assuming they'll choose ones that sound vaguely logical and use some fluff to justify it. I have to confess that it's not that huge a deal to me. I'm pretty happy with the current selection of Light Saber forms. I'd much rather see a few more non-LS trees.

I think it would be quite nice to have a Teräs Käsi spec, although i don't really need it. But unarmed combat is always nice in RPGs ^_^

/ No problem with the ä here with the swedish keyboard.

Personally, I don't need any more Trakata than what's already in the book (the dual-phase attachment).

Jar'Kai is also in the book (the shoto) with the dual wielding rules. I wouldn't mind it as a Consular spec - Jar Kai is meant to be related to Niman - but I'm not a fan of lightsaber inflation, to be honest. Single blade is all you need. :)

Juyo is a given. We will see a Juyo tree, and I'm looking forward to it.

Yes I know they would go in career books. I am just curious which careers would get each one.

Yes I know they would go in career books. I am just curious which careers would get each one.

Speaking of that, it would be cool to see a "Jedi on the Edge" sourcebook...kind of a cross-over between EotE and F&D with an emphasis on Force users during the Dark Times. I'm not sure how workable it would be, but rather than provide new specs for a single F&D career, perhaps instead have a set of universal specs for stealth, lightsaber combat plus gadgetry, and diplomacy.

Going off that idea... do you think we'll see non force specs brought into a force career? I know there are some issues with career skills and talent balance, but it make me wonder...

because otherwise, FaD products may be worth more for your buck, having "all new" specs and more material designed specific for it. /baseless speculation.

Going off that idea... do you think we'll see non force specs brought into a force career? I know there are some issues with career skills and talent balance, but it make me wonder...

because otherwise, FaD products may be worth more for your buck, having "all new" specs and more material designed specific for it. /baseless speculation.

I doubt it. They might use a non-Force spec as something of a guideline (like they sorta did with Starfighter Ace and Pilot), but that's likely to be the extent of it. After all, why include a new spec in a sourcebook that's focused on a type of Force user and not have any Force-based talents in said spec? FFG already gets enough flak from those folks grumbling over certain specs being reprinted in EotE and AoR books (Drive, Pilot, Scout, Slicer, and Mechanic thus far), so they're likely to want to avoid such issues with FaD supplements.

Firstly, I'm thinking Trakata can simply be covered as a special type of Action, one that increases the difficulty by one to allow the attacker to ignore the target's Melee Defense for the attack. It never sat well with me that Gary Sarli pretty much added Trakata as a "Form" to the Jedi Knight prestige class in Saga Edition, so I'd be quite happy to not see FFG repeat that same process.

Trispzest is extremely specialized, almost to the point of ludicrousness given it's all about using a lightsaber while actively flying, a feat that currently only a Toydarian PC can accomplish with any regularity. So again, I think it's a candidate that can be left out, given how hyper-focused the concept of it is.

Juyo I definitely see being tied to Warrior, though perhaps with it's Form Technique talent using Willpower since the Form is noted to require a great deal of mental focus to draw upon a deeper well of emotion and enjoy the fight, but to still retain complete control of oneself and not slip into the dark side. Though that does ape the Niman Technique word-for-word, so perhaps also add an effect that the PC can suffer 1 strain as an Incidental to gain a boost die on their next Lightsaber (Willpower) check.

And Vaapad was pretty much Mace Windu's personal take on Juyo, and for the most part died with him, as the other two Jedi Masters he taught turned to the dark side (Sora Bulq) or went crazy (Depa Billapa), and Quinlan Vos was only taught the most rudimentary basics of Vaapad by Sora Bulq during his time serving as a double agent amidst the Separatists (though Vos did nearly fall to the dark side in the process). So again, I think that one can be counted out, or at most included as a capstone talent for the Juyo Form spec.

Sokan I'd put with Sentinel, though Seeker could be a suitable match as well, and it's Form Technique talent instead providing a bonus to mobility, such as reducing the cost of taking an extra maneuver via Advantages while including the Swift talent to negate the effects of difficult terrain and possibly even a high-row talent that lets them move an additional range band per maneuver.

Jar'Kai is a tricky one. Yeah, it's stated to be a built upon Niman (likely due to it taking several elements from other Forms), but I could see that one going into almost any of them except perhaps Consular and Warrior. Again, no change in Characteristic from a Form Technique, but instead offer a talent like the Heavy's Rain of Death to make it easier to attack with two weapons by negating the difficultly increase, or a talent that offers a free Advantage on a successful attack to help make triggering that second attack easier.

Nicely done. I would love to see your take on doing trees for them :)

Maybe Trakata is a talent that gives you a boost die to attacks in some tree. Something like a Feint.

Trispzest is extremely specialized, almost to the point of ludicrousness given it's all about using a lightsaber while actively flying, a feat that currently only a Toydarian PC can accomplish with any regularity. So again, I think it's a candidate that can be left out, given how hyper-focused the concept of it is.

It might be interesting to see a flyer/swoopbiker/jetpack user style, in a splat that gives a new flying race (Like Geonesians). Splash in about half the Ace Pilot and Scoundrel: Pilot abilities, and you'd have a pretty cool Agility based style.

It might be interesting to see a flyer/swoopbiker/jetpack user style, in a splat that gives a new flying race (Like Geonesians). Splash in about half the Ace Pilot and Scoundrel: Pilot abilities, and you'd have a pretty cool Agility based style.

You can make good use of your Piloting (Planetary) with a jetpack... Put it in Seeker, and you get the built-in discount for Ataru Striker. It also seems to fit thematically.

Edit: Empatojayos Brand. 'nuff said.

Edited by GranSolo

You can make good use of your Piloting (Planetary) with a jetpack... Put it in Seeker, and you get the built-in discount for Ataru Striker. It also seems to fit thematically.

Edit: Empatojayos Brand. 'nuff said.

I'd actually put it as an Agillity style for Warrior, so that it hs a discount for Starfighter Ace.

From what I remember Sokan is not a form, it is a special tactic taught to Ataru users in order to utilize the environment to improve your attacks. So when Yoda is bouncing off the walls and vehicles to get behind Dooku in their dues that is Sokan. As such I would think it is a mastery ability for the Ataru Striker rather than a seperate lightsaber form.

:o You mean like a signature ability...

From what I remember Sokan is not a form, it is a special tactic taught to Ataru users in order to utilize the environment to improve your attacks. So when Yoda is bouncing off the walls and vehicles to get behind Dooku in their dues that is Sokan. As such I would think it is a mastery ability for the Ataru Striker rather than a seperate lightsaber form.

Hmm... Ataru has the most gun-bunny of the F&D carears, and if signature abilites work like EoE's... Trick shots anyone?

Blazing chain baby!

Sorry. Got good news. I'm excited. Entirely non-game related.

Tera kasi would be awesome but weren't they non force sensitives?

:o You mean like a signature ability...

Vapaad would probably be a signature ability for Juyo form.

Tera kasi would be awesome but weren't they non force sensitives?

Teras Kasi is a open hand combat form. Like Karate or Kung Fu, which didn't require any Foce sensitivity and should be covered by Brawl.

Yeah, I meant signature ability. I was in a rush posting before work.

I dunno, I could see a Teras Kasi spec being devised for the eventual Warrior sourcebook, though it might be fairly light on the Force talents, to the point of possibly not even having a Force Rating talent to make it a viable option for non-F/S characters that want to focus on being pros at bare-handed combat.