Gates of Arkham - New Expansion announced

By Julia, in Elder Sign

Here the news! Yay!

Finally! I have to say...while it was nice to be considered for the play-testing, I'm not a fan of the expansion specifically because it takes the Investigators out of the museum...if I want that experience, I'll play Arkham Horror.

My good friend, Julia, may debate this for awhile...but it would be so much better discussing it over "punk potatoes" or a piece of your home-made lasagna!

Cheers,

Joe

I am excited to see the news. There is only so much you can do in a museum, so I personally think leaving it was a good idea.

Finally! I have to say...while it was nice to be considered for the play-testing, I'm not a fan of the expansion specifically because it takes the Investigators out of the museum...if I want that experience, I'll play Arkham Horror.

I think that in order to continue to expand the game, it will have to eventually expand beyond the museum format. This is especially true since Omens has already done that and folks really like it.

I wonder how long before the "So where's the digital version?" threads start?

I wonder how long before the "So where's the digital version?" threads start?

Shall I start one now lest someone other has to bother with it him/herself ? :)

I think that in order to continue to expand the game, it will have to eventually expand beyond the museum format. This is especially true since Omens has already done that and folks really like it.

Yep, I think this was the idea.

Joe, the game could look like Arkham because you'll find familiar names, but it's so totally not Arkham! Dynamics of Elder Sign are still implemented; even if the setting is shared, it's the only thing they have in common.

Hello Friends,

so it seems that Gates of Arkham does not actually expand the current game mode but adds a second one.

We will have to wait for further previews to learn which components can be used in both game modes..

Anyways i am positively excited about the announcement

Best Wishes

Great news, I love the ES system & the quick Mythos fix it provides but the Museum

Setting was getting rather old.

OD

Hello Friends,

so it seems that Gates of Arkham does not actually expand the current game mode but adds a second one.

We will have to wait for further previews to learn which components can be used in both game modes..

Anyways i am positively excited about the announcement

Best Wishes

I suppose the new Old Ones won't be compatible with the base game and the 1st expansion due to their gate-opening mechanic.

As far as I understand, the new adventure mechanic was taken from Eldrich Horror, when you have to flip a card over and check for the consequences. Looks great so far!

I suppose the new Old Ones won't be compatible with the base game and the 1st expansion due to their gate-opening mechanic.

As far as I understand, the new adventure mechanic was taken from Eldrich Horror, when you have to flip a card over and check for the consequences. Looks great so far!

I think it might be just easy to replace any non-monster spot on the Doom track with a gate symbol.

@The Professor, seeing as the location are now double sided and that the adventure isn't known until you go to that place and turn over the card, does that mean that each card is the same of the back? Or, is there a card with "The Post Office" written on one side and it's corresponding adventure on the other side?

SquarePeg,

I'm sorry ~ I haven't actually seen any of the components beyond what has been revealed, thus far. While I'm a fan of game evolution, I have a personal distaste for how this one radically changed things.

Cheers,

Joe

@The Professor, seeing as the location are now double sided and that the adventure isn't known until you go to that place and turn over the card, does that mean that each card is the same of the back? Or, is there a card with "The Post Office" written on one side and it's corresponding adventure on the other side?

The location name will appear on the back of the adventure and each location will have multiple adventure cards with the same back.

This Expansion appears to be the "Arkham Horror Light" that gets

tossed around in Game comparisons. I could see FFG adding other

Arkham Horror Expansions & basically reselling us Arkham Horror

in a new format.

OD

OD,

I had your very same thoughts when I first heard of this expansion. I must say that even if Arkham's setting is shared, it's a completely different game. It's still Elder Sign (hence: dice, mythos having lingering effects, at midnight effects ti dodge, AOs attempting to destroy this world), with some new and interesting elements (the preview showed us how the new Skill cards could make interactions more significant in the game). And it's not light as it could seem (just look at Atlach's preview for instance)

Just my two cents, anyway

not even a week ago I saw a post somewhere complaining that no updates had come in so long. Funny how quickly a new one popped up. Can't wait!

Julia-I used the Arkham Horror Light in terms of Game Time,# of rules & components.

I agree Gates of Arkham is a different Game based on the Elder Sign Mechanics but

with a shared setting & objectives.

I think those who want the AH experience without all the complexity & time

commitment will certainly be interested in Gates of Arkham as well as those

who just want new material for Elder Sign.

OD

OD,

thanks, now I see your point clearly. Indeed, it should be appealing for both. At least, I hope so. Now I want an Innsmouth expansion, tho :D

I can attest to Julia's comment about it not being light. Coming in to this with a carefree attitude like you would base Elder Sign is going to end your game rather quickly.

I think I'd rather have this as a standalone game, even if there had to be some duplication of components.

I think, beyond a certain point, the expansion format simply becomes cumbersome, especially if you're taking the game to someone elses.

Edited by TheTurnipKing

I'm really excited about this one!

Looks like it could be really good to have a game in the museum, then head out into the streets flush with victory, only to have to face the horror all over again. The idea of the gates sounds really good, adding an extra level that isn't in the base game. And it's always good to get new stuff!

It'll hopefully be a very exciting Easter next year...

Yup, you scored a great point here. Even if the game description had in the preview doesn't suggest a first part in the museum, I see how very easily the new expansion can be merged with the previously released materials for a sort of hybrid campaign, a la Cthulhu or Ithaqua in Elder Sign: just go with:

a) "need X Elder Sign gathered in the musuem: hence you play with old Mythos and adventures. Then, when you score the X-th ES, you go to

b) replace the Mythos deck with the new one, clear all the adventures in play and replace them with new adventures from the new exp, move monsters according to the usual rules for tasks and go on with the second part of the adventure roaming the streets of Arkham

Should be fun to try

I may never return to the Museum again :wub: .

OD

Yep, I'm feeling deeply excited about this! It's not every game expansion that I can say that about!