A concern about balance

By Paine, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

In Descent, the balance comes from the number of monsters changing based on the number of heroes. Based on previews of IA, it seems like this is no longer true and instead fewer heroes will get more actions.

This seems alright, except for the fact that the Imperial player can win by knocking down all heroes. Wouldn't that be way easier against 2 heroes as opposed to 4, regardless of how many actions they have? It's still 1/2 the total HP to knock off.

We don't know if there are any special rules for a game with fewer than 4 players. I can't imagine that they'll ignore the factor you mention, though.

well there are a number of things worth considering

First of all it's not like in Descent were all heroes act and then all monsters act, but it's always one hero, one imperial figure alternating.

Second the first time you suffer damage equal to your HP you aren't instantly dead but wounded, which means you lose one ability but resume with full HP

Third resting is entirly different than in Descent. In IA you will always recover fatigue equal to the amount of your stamina. If you have more stamina than fatigue you heal the rest. This means someone with stamina 5, who has 4 damage and 2 fatigue will recover 2 fatigue and 3 damage. If he has no fatigue and 5 damage he could heal up completely by resting.

Fourth we know it will be possible to give your actions to other players. So if someone is damaged badly the other player could give him an action so he could rest 2 or even 3 times.

so I think you can see how more actions can balance this out in IA

Edited by DAMaz

Fourth we know it will be possible to give your actions to other players. So if someone is damaged badly the other player could give him an action so he could rest 2 or even 3 times.

Where did we hear this from? I thought it was just the Rebel Leader's ability that allows another player to take an action in place of one of his actions. I didn't think it was a common rule.

Where did we hear this from? I thought it was just the Rebel Leader's ability that allows another player to take an action in place of one of his actions. I didn't think it was a common rule.

I believe the only thing you can do from this ability is move, or attack (it was the fat guy with a mug, I played as him during the demo)

I believe the only thing you can do from this ability is move, or attack (it was the fat guy with a mug, I played as him during the demo)

Okay I wanted to write this point a little less strong, because I didn't play the demo, but just watched some videos of it being played, seems like I didn't do it in the end. Sorry for that.

But I think we can agree that it will be possible in some shape or form to give your actions to another hero. Even if those actions are just move or attack actions, resting 2 times and moving out of harms way still seems to be possible, 3 rest actions in one turn not so much though.

Considering this, at least once per turn you will be able to heal as much damage as your stamina value shows or even more if you aren't at maximum fatigue.

I forgot, it also takes an action to give a move/shoot action. you gotta remember, in playing we only got halfway through the first objective before the door opened up and an elite unit showed up. not to mention the imperial overlord was bringing in guys pretty quickly based on his threat alert.

Storm troopers were easy to kill, however after watching the video, I noticed the imperial overlord was not making full use of his abilities, and possible strategies. The imperial officers were support troops, and could do give some move orders to the eweb stormy, who lit up the room, and knocked our wookiee down. (shooting twice with a nasty more accurate weapon then what most of us had.
Darth Vader is suppose to be pretty leet, I cant imagine what he can do in game. There is also an ATST some where you have to face at some point.... I wonder what the rules is on that beast...

I too play a lot of descent 2.0 with my friends and kids. I also wonder how the balance is going to work itself out couple of interesting ideas here but cant wait for the rules to be released and play a few games