Starting Morality

By Castlecruncher, in Game Mechanics

So, the game has a little blurb in the Game Master section that says that the PCs can begin the game with a lower Morality that cause them to start with XP and Credits. However, that is not the case in the Character Creation chapter. I think that spending Morality sounds better than just getting stuff for free. As is, you choose between XP/Cresita or high/lowMorality. However, since low Morality is inherently bad, I'd say it's better to stick with you start at 50 Morality, and can then spend it like Duty (5=5 XP/1000 Credits, 10=10 XP/2500 Credits, subtracting from 50) and setting a maximum of Morality spent to 20 (so you don't hit below 30). You could also spend XP to get extra Morality, if you wished.

Thoughts?

The problem is low morality is not inherently bad. It is just different and darker. Hence the option with 30 morality. But the 2 chapters do need to be in sync. I would post in the proofreading section.

The reason I posted here was that I feel more acclined to having the Darkside being negative. If I hit the Darkside, I'd immediately begin the process to get out. Sure, some players like it, but because of all the setbacks (low Strain Threshold, people feeling put off by your presence, possibility of the GM causing you to to go berserk from anger for one Destiny Point) I feel that low Morality is more of a negative thing.

The problem is, as Sam Stewart pointed out on our show, is that some people will WANT to play dark siders. So by making it a mechanic where you get more xp and/or money by starting with a lower Morality, you're rewarding them for their choice to be Dark Side.

Now, given the drawbacks to being dark side, that might be a decent tradeoff...

The darkside is it's own reward... but only if you actually START darkside, which the current mechanic doesnt.

With the way the morality system works, a (borderline) Light Side Paragon is an average of 4 sessions ahead of the most angelic of players who started with extra resources. For darksiders, however, you could start on the edge of Dark Side paragon, or you could get free stuff and just commit 2 more murders than you planned.

The dark side option needs to actually START you s a dark side paragon, with all the drawbacks and enifits that entails, in order to make it worth choosing over more equipment/XP.

Edited by Rakaydos

is it really that hard to earn 11 conflict in 1 session? Reading the beta adventure you could gain quite a lot more than 10 conflict in the final fight alone.

is it really that hard to earn 11 conflict in 1 session? Reading the beta adventure you could gain quite a lot more than 10 conflict in the final fight alone.

That's not the problem... the problem is how it is just as easy to earn 31 conflict in one session. The Dark side morality option doesnt actially give anything you cant take yourself. Lightside morality, in contrast, is equivilant to suffering through 4 sessions of angelic lightside play- with the tantalizing reward of an extra destiny point and strain just one resonably-lightsided session away.

The solution, IMO, is to replace "-20 morality" with -30 morality (but LEAVE the +20 morality option ALONE), so that the "Quick and easy path" takes extra gear or XP away and makes the party sufffer a lost destiny point, but gives you an extra wound and more reliable force powers- a reasonable choice, if that's what you're going for.

Edited by Rakaydos