How does Breach work?

By MasonH, in Game Mechanics

I'm having a difficult time understanding a lot of the rules in this iteration of Star Wars rpg. The Brach write-up says that "Breach weapons ignore one point of armor for every rating of Breach (meaning they also ignore ten points of soak for every rating of Breach). The only rating for armor is Soak, other than defense. So shouldn't this just say lightsabers ignore up to 10 points of soak from armor? Or am I missing something?

I'm having a difficult time understanding a lot of the rules in this iteration of Star Wars rpg. The Brach write-up says that "Breach weapons ignore one point of armor for every rating of Breach (meaning they also ignore ten points of soak for every rating of Breach). The only rating for armor is Soak, other than defense. So shouldn't this just say lightsabers ignore up to 10 points of soak from armor? Or am I missing something?

The term armor means something different here than you are thinking. In this context the term armor is specifically referring to the attribute "armor" for vehicles, which is the vehicle-scale term for soak. Armor in this context does not mean "stuff you are wearing". Since vehicle scale is 10x, 1 point vehicle armor translates into 10 points of personal soak.

Edited by Sporkley

Armor as in Ship/Vehicle's Soak.

As noted above, Breach is a vehicle-scale quality. It means a lightsaber can ignore 1 point of Armor on a vehicle (or 10 Soak on a person). So if the vehicle has 1 point of Armor, and the lightsaber does 10 points of damage, they actually do 1 point of vehicle damage.

I feel like an idiot. Thank you all.