Forewarning

By mouthymerc, in Proofreading Changes

The talent only appears once in the Seer tree but is categorized as a Ranked talent. The talent gives a defense bonus based on the character's Force rating, though. So either the talent should not be ranked or the bonus should be based on how many times you have taken it, wherever it shows up in the future. I'm thinking that it shouldn't be a ranked talent.

The ranked part may just be a typo. Good catch.

The ranked part may just be a typo. Good catch.

Or it may not be a typo.

In Far Horizons, the Performer has a talent called Congenial (similar to Intimidate, but works on Charm and Negotiate checks) that is listed as being a Ranked talent, but said spec only has one instance of Congenial. And we might very well see Congenial in other specializations in yet-to-be announced products.

The previous core rulebooks have all had instances of 'future-proofing' by including talents such as Inventor, part of which revolves around the building of new items... a process for which actual rules have yet to be introduced. Or the the Weighted Head attachment, which can't be applied to any of the non-cutting edge weapons in the book. And both were confirmed as being deliberately designed that way with an eye towards future products.

The difference here (I have no idea how Congenial reads) is that there is no provision for what additional Ranks would do.

It's not Ranks times Force Rating, it's just "... by a number equal to the character’s Force rating until ...".

Yes, other Trees do have Ranked Talents appear only once, but those Talents tend to at least give an indication of what additional Ranks would do.

I would think that if it isw a ranked talent that the "number" of dice would be based on how many times you have taken the talent rather than Force Rating. Which would make it still a typo just of a different sort. So either the Ranked is a typo or the reference to Force Rating is.

Hawk Bat Swoop has the same anomaly in its talent description on pg. 102.