The One Hammer conversion project

By Gallows, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

I'm converting The One Ring to warhammer. I use 2nd edition as the main inspiration, but will add bits from 3rd edition. My modifications to combat are inspired by EotE somewhat - you can do special attacks by using Tengwars, that are a bit like boons/advantages or degrees of success. Just reposting my current progress from the TOR boards. I really like the TOR mechanics, so had to do this. Big project, but work is progressing at a decent pace.

Updating with progress as I go along.

Finished:
- career transitions
- character creation
- Rules for wfrp talents and skills
- combat additions
- Dice mechanics updated to take into account bonuses from talents and career special abilities.
- races
- ALL careers done (Example career page: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/182 ... xample.pdf )
- Rules for magic done
- Talents done
- Healing rules and critical wounds done (Inspired by rules posted by Rich H. to keep it nice and simple)
- Rules for disease, fear/terror, insanity and mutation done
- weapons completely updated with special qualities etc.
- Armor done since it's identical to rules in TOR
- Skills all done
- Character sheet https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/182 ... 0sheet.pdf
- NPC cards: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/182 ... 0cards.pdf

I still need:
- Magic spells and ritual magic
- Chaotic manifestation tables and wrath of gods from 2nd, with some effects from 3rd
- Convert 3rd edition mutations for use with TOH (The One Hammer)
- Convert 2nd and 3rd edition diseases.
- Convert 2nd and 3rd edition insanities
- Rules for herbalism and experimenting

If I have left anything out from my list, please let me know.

Edited by Gallows

Interesting. I would be up for a 3rd edition conversion as I like 3rd's dice system etc. and corruption points can work nicely for One Ring as well etc. Comet = Gandalf Rune, Chaos Star = Eye of Sauron etc.

One Ring is a thing of beauty but as I've said I find it narrow in its mechanics. Its positioning mechanic is a good thing to keep.

Yeah, I've expanded combat options quite a bit, to allow for more heroic actions like troll feller strike, rapid fire etc. I'm using the called shot mechanic to pull off special moves and tactical options. Defence mechanics are completely new, where I use a splitting of the dice pool to allow for parry/Dodge/block. Only 47 advanced careers left to do and I'll read through it and make it ready for someone else to take a look at :-)

I like the idea of the WFRP dice, but they suck to be frank. The distribution of symbols etc. makes it horrible to balance if you want to let the players get good successes while still allowing misses to happend.

The Star Wars dice are much much better. I may try to make an alternate version, tailored to using the SW dice instead. It should be doable :-)

The main problem with the dice are that just one success more or less as a requirement changes the propability a lot. This makes it hard to work with in terms of having defence that allows for misses without screwing the whole system up.

That's why I find the TOR dice system better and really it does the same.

There are four different kinds of numbers

Gandalf: Something really good, like comet

Sauron: Like chaos star

6(Tengwar): Like boons

Unfilled numbers (1-3): could be used like banes.

So two positive and two negative, but running alongside this are the numbers themselves, making it two systems running side by side, so even though you make the TN higher, you don't screw up the chance of a tengwar for instance. It's a much nicer system to work with and to balance.

The SW dice have this to some extent as some sides have both success and advantages, but it's still not perfect.

So while the TOR dice may not look as fancy, they are able to do everything the WFRP dice can do in terms of degree of success and boons/banes.

Edited by Gallows

The WFRP dice are balanced, in my view, to mostly produce successes with question being how good a success, as only marginal success after marginal success may not be enough to stop some nasty crits and corruption etc. etc. building up.

I like that more than simply missing.

Yeah but the problem is that if the troll slayer gets just one success through he still hits like a truck. It's not quite the variance I would expect from the system. We've played since release and while WFRP3 did rekindle our RP, it turned quite dull as the novelty of the cards and dice wore off. When you're rank 4 using improved parry reduces the chance to hit by less than 5%, so it became quite pointless. If they had used some kind of dice pool splitting method, where you had to save offensive dice for defence, then it would have balanced out better as characters ranked up, instead of the flat defence curve. I know the advanced defence cards have a bane and challenge too, but still it won't do much and monsters can't really defend themselves no matter the agression they spend on defence.

In EotE if you create a dice pool of opposite dice, the same amount, then the chance to hit will settle very close to 50% (50.5%-51%). That's balanced and easier to work with if you want such a system.

Edited by Gallows

Update: ALL careers done.

I am curious to see the outcome of it. I love TOR system.

First draft created. 97 pages total. Still have some work to do as seen in the first post, but the core is done. It's only a draft however. No proof reading, play testing or checking for general consistency has been done - but that will come once the entire system is done.

Cant wait to see it, what you've done so far looks great :D

I'm mostly done with the One Ring conversion, but started working on a conversion to the One Roll Engine. Had never heard about that before trying a one shot, using a game called wild talents. Found Reign that is a fantasy game using ORE. I was very impressed by the game engine and how it handled damage, initiative, hit locations, multiple actions and defence in one roll of a dice pool. Such a dynamic system, with so many options for manipulating the result with different kinds of bonuses.

It's a dice pool system with 2-10 dice in the pool. You roll and look for matches. Two ways to rate a set - height (the number on the dice) and width (the number of matching dice). 3x8 for instance is three dice that rolled eight. If you want to do multiple actions then you simply subtract one die from your pool for each extra action and aim to roll one set for each action. Max dice you can ever roll is 10, but you can have more in your pool and those extra dice can be used to offset penalties. Some talents also allow you to ignore one or more penalty dice for including a certain skill as a multiple action. For instance if you want to sneak up on someone and attack them in one round, that would be a multiple action using stealth and weapon skill. You always use the lowest pool of all skills involved. Defence works the same. You can use the parry skill to defend and sets used are turned into gobble dice that can ruin sets of attackers. I really love this system. You can set difficulty for tests two ways, or a combination. You can add a penalty of -x dice to a pool or set a difficulty from 2-10, where any sets not having a good enough height is failures. The propabilities for this dice system really is a thing og mathematical beauty for a RPG system. Love it. If you don't know the One Roll Engine, you should check it out!

There are quite of a few supplements and additions for the Reign One-Roll system if you're looking for ideas to adapt it, and variants such as Dirty Word - a noir detective version which includes a "one roll" approach to generating the elements of a noir plot.

There's a shorter version of the Reign system the Enchiridion.

http://www.gregstolze.com/reign/

If you check out the supplements section there are free supplements oriented towards more fantasy, cults and magic system (e.g., the Nain supplement).

Yeah I bought both reign books, wild talents, kerberos, dirty world, better angels and monsters and other childish things as pdf for inspiration. I am using modified journey rules from TOR still. I also use the BIT system from Burning Wheel and use those and Reign problems for awarding XP. Also a roll that fails with consequence gives xp (one per session) inspired by dirty world. :)

I love this system :)

I'm almost done with the ORE conversion. All careers done with individual career abilities, advance schemes for attributes, skills and talents. Combat system, magic system, character creation and general advancement system plus guidelines for awarding XP, races, talents, skills, weapons and armor (weapons use a slightly modified damage model from reign for better balance), different rule changes, character sheet and NPC sheet. I have started work on spells, and they aren't that hard to convert, so it won't take me long.

After that I will work on a storm of chaos supplement, that happends after The Enemy Within, where chaos hordes have dealt a serious blow to the empire. Karl Franz is dead and nobles fight over land and titles. The idea is that the party rises to power and have a small army to command. This uses the rules for companies from reign where the general theme is power struggles and wars between the different nobles in the empire, while at the same time trying to unite against the chaos horde attacking from the north and from within in form of cults that have taken over entire cities. In this game the company becomes the uniting factor for the party and even if a character dies, the company will still be there. There will be some sessions played on the individual level, where the party does different missions and adventures, that give them bonuses for the future company sessions. Company sessions are played over months, where the party use their company to improve their position in the empire. It's more player driven than the usual warhammer adventure and campaign and the campaign ends when someone is crowned emperor and the empire is once again in a state of relative order. The idea is that the campaign will span many years and possibly see heirs of the characters taking over. I just have the general concept now and a few ideas and rules written down though :-)

Edited by Gallows