Krayt Dragon pearl but no Krayt Dragon

By kaosoe, in General Discussion

The captive rancor has a soak of 12. Is this going to be a canyon krayt or greater krayt? If a canyon krayt I would put the soak at at least 15 (probably 20 or so for a greater). Silhouette 3 for canyon krayt (a greater could be sil 4). And a rancor does 15 damage on a hit. Would not a larger krayt do more?

How about this?

Canyon Krayt Dragon (Nemesis)

Brawn 6 Agility 2 Intellect 1 Cunning 2 Willpower 3 Presence 1

Soak Value 15 Wound Threshold 60 Strain Threshold 20 M/R Defense 1/1

Skills: Brawl 2, Survival 2, Vigilance 1

Talents: None

Abilities: Silhouette 3, Massive 1, Adversary 2, Tail Sweep (Can spend a Triumph on a successful Brawl attack to knockdown another target engaged or at short range from the dragon).

Equipment: Vicious bite (Brawl; Damage 20: Critical 2; Range [short]; Ensnare 1, Inaccurate 1, Knockdown, Pierce 4)

I suppose that sapith crystal with breach 2 isn't looking so silly now. :D

Like this?

Ancient Krayt Dragon [Nemesis] Name: Ancient Krayt Dragon

Type: Nemesis Power Level: 518

Brawn 6 Agility 3 Intellect 1 Cunning 1 Willpower 1 Presence 1 Soak 8 Melee Def 1 Ranged Def 1 Wound 65 Strain 22

Skills:

Brawl 4 , Perception 2 , Survival 3

Talents:

Adversary 2 - Upgrade the difficulty of any combat check targeting this character once per rank of Adversary.

Knockdown - After hitting with a melee attack, may spend Triumph to knock the target prone.

Weapons:

Brutal claws and teeth - Skill: Brawl 4, Range: Engaged, Damage: 12, Crit: 2 ADV, Qualities: Pierce 1

Silhouette 4

Last Updated: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 6:54 PM

Myself I would see the Krayt Dragon as having a higher presence, maybe just by a point or two, i mean, it is a dragon, no matter the size. It would still be freaking terrifying.

Ancient Krayt Dragon [Nemesis] Name: Ancient Krayt Dragon Type: Nemesis Power Level: 558 Brawn 6 Agility 3 Intellect 1 Cunning 1 Willpower 1 Presence 3 Soak 8 Melee Def 1 Ranged Def 1 Wound 65 Strain 22

Skills:
Brawl 4, Perception 2 , Survival 3
Talents:
Adversary 2 - Upgrade the difficulty of any combat check targeting this character once per rank of Adversary.
Durable 1 - The character may reduce a Critical injury result he suffers by 10 per rank of Durable, to a minimum of one.
Knockdown - After hitting with a melee attack, may spend Triumph to knock the target prone.
Weapons:
Brutal claws and teeth - Skill: Brawl 4, Range: Engaged, Damage: 12, Crit: 2Adv, Qualities: Breach 1
Silhouette 4

Like this?

Edited by Daeglan

I suppose that sapith crystal with breach 2 isn't looking so silly now. :D

Only if it's this guy wielding it.

. ridiculous-muscles.jpg

Heres my rendition for an upcoming game

Canyon Krayt Dragon (Nemisis)

Brawn: 9 Agility: 2 Intellect: 1 Cunning: 1 Willpower: 1 Presence: 1

Soak 15, Wounds 55, Strain 20, M/R Def: 1/1

Skills

Athletics 2, Brawl 3, Coercion (intimidation) 2, Resilience 3, Perception 2, Survival 2

Talents

Adversary 2, Durable 2, Feral Strength 3, Intimidating 3, Knockdown, Lethal Blows 2

Spec Abilities

Devour: Spend Triumph after successful attack to devour opponent. Target is ensnared and takes 4 wounds at the beginning of the dragon's turn. A creature that is killed is completely devoured and digested.

Tremorsense: A Krayt Dragon receives 2 Boost to Perseption to sense anything in contact with the ground within medium range.

Size: Silhouette 3

Attack

Massive Bite and claws: Brawl, Damage: 16, crit: 3, Concussive 1, Disorient 3, Breach 1

Thick Hide: Def:1 Soak 6

Edited by Danudet

The encounter that the players will have with this thing, is actually set up as a rival so it wont devour the entire party before they can scratch it.

Myself I would see the Krayt Dragon as having a higher presence, maybe just by a point or two, i mean, it is a dragon, no matter the size. It would still be freaking terrifying.

I'd associate it's ability to cause fear with Coercion, which is Willpower-based. I'd put Willpower at 3.

One thing I'm finding with this system is that beasts aren't really that potent, or they become a grind. What they need is more explicit ways of attacking multiple targets, then lower the WT (and maybe even Soak) so the game doesn't bog down into plinking. Perhaps it needs something like:

Tail Sweep (targets behind): Brawl, Range: Short; Damage: 8; Crit: 5; Linked 3, Knockdown

Barge (must be used in conjunction with a Move maneuver and potentially hits opponents with which it can be engaged along the way): Brawl, Damage: 10; Crit: 4; Linked: 2, Concussive 1

For all its flaws, D&D4 had some decent mechanics for this kind of thing, perhaps there's some inspiration to be had there.

How about this?

Brawn 6 Agility 2 Intellect 1 Cunning 1 Willpower 1 Presence 1

Soak Value 15 Wound Threshold 45 Strain Threshold 20 M/R Defense 1/1

Skills: Brawl 2, Survival 2, Vigilance 2, Resilience 2

Talents: Fearsome 2, Durable 2, Knockdown

Abilities: Silhouette 3, Adversary 2, Sweep Attack (Can spend a Triumph on a successful Brawl check to hit anyone engaged with original target), Poor Eyesight (Setback on Perception and Vigilance checks)

Equipment: Vicious bite (Brawl; Damage 18: Critical 3; Range [short]; Inaccurate 1, Pierce 5, Vicious 2), Venomous Spines (attacks against Krayt Dragon that generate 3 Threat or 1 Despair risk being poisoned: Hard Resilience check--failure causes 2 wounds and 2 strain damage for 2 rounds; threat generated extend duration by 1 round; Despair causes a critical injury).

The thing is terrifying to fight, and takes some serious balls to stand toe-to-toe with. It hits hard, and is pretty tough.

Edited by yeti1069

Like this?

Ancient Krayt Dragon [Nemesis] Name: Ancient Krayt Dragon

Type: Nemesis Power Level: 518

Brawn 6 Agility 3 Intellect 1 Cunning 1 Willpower 1 Presence 1 Soak 8 Melee Def 1 Ranged Def 1 Wound 65 Strain 22

Skills:

Brawl 4 , Perception 2 , Survival 3

Talents:

Weapons:

Brutal claws and teeth - Skill: Brawl 4, Range: Engaged, Damage: 12, Crit: 2 ADV, Qualities: Pierce 1

Silhouette 4

Last Updated: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 6:54 PM

I'd say make it a Silhouette 5, if only to keep it out of Force Move's reach. As well as change it's range to better represent it's size. Or maybe I just want too much.

I like where your head is at, I just don't see it as being on the same size class as the CR90 or Wayfarer.

it should be at least a silhouette 4. The average size is just a bit less than a YT-1300. (according to wookiepedia at least), the YT being 34.75m in length, while the Krayt is 30m and 10 meters tall on average. It is also, a bit less than twice as long as the YT-2400.

If they're so scary why is their Presence only one? How about a higher Presence score, some talents to help it scare people and specific rules for how hard the fear tests against it are?

Can we give it Massive to make it harder to crit it?

Edited by pnewman15

If they're so scary why is their Presence only one? How about a higher Presence score, some talents to help it scare people and specific rules for how hard the fear tests against it are?

Can we give it Massive to make it harder to crit it?

Presence is fine at a low number, keep in mind that characteristics effect everything - and I don't think a Krayt Dragon should be naturally good at Negotiation. Skill ranks are fine for upping individual aspects. Besides, as is, confronting a Krayt Dragon has a suggestion of fear check of 4 Difficulty - which is pretty difficult as is.

Massive doesn't really apply here, since it ups crit rating when you're in attacking it, no matter what, so even a starship would need to spend extra advantage - which doesn't make much sense. So while ranks in Durable don't help in dropping the chance of being critted against, it still ups its survivability a fair bit - that and there's nothing else similar to Massive with current talents.

Hmm, some good ideas here.

Soak Value 15 Wound Threshold 60 Strain Threshold 20 M/R Defense 2/1

Talents: Adversary 2, Durable 3.

Abilities: Silhouette 3, Tail Sweep (Can spend a Triumph on a successful Brawl attack to knockdown another target engaged or at short range from the dragon), Venomous Spines (any Brawl or Melee checks against the dragon by an engaged target inflict 2 strain per threat instead of 1).

Equipment: Vicious bite (Brawl; Damage 20: Critical 2; Range [short]; Ensnare 1, Inaccurate 1, Knockdown, Pierce 5, Vicious 3).

• Dropped Massive for Durable. Might even increase the rank of durable.
  • Added Vicious to Vicious bite. *facepalm*
  • Like the idea of venomous spikes, but put my own spin on it. Upped the melee defense by 1. Between that and the adversary talent threat generated can be narrated as poison weakening an engaged target.
  • Don't think it needs Fearsome as it is up to the GM to call for Fear checks whenever appropriate. If this doesn't qualify I don't know what does.
  • Keep in mind that killing these things is a rite of passage for tusken raiders in EU/Legends. Krayt dragons are supposed to have thin skulls (bypassing soak or increasing the Crit roll) and poor vision. Using setback/Aim to target the skull or throwing in situational setback dice on Perception checks would be more than appropriate.

wow. Some impressive suggestions.

I wasn't aware of the thing about their skulls. I like the idea of by passing their skulls.

The hard part is designing this creature to be more than formidable in a straight fight, but also designing the encounter in such that bearing planetary scale weapons on this thing is the only solution.

Although, if Krayt Dragons were more like traditional dragons, in that they had wings, it would be pretty awesome putting a planetary scale beast against them in their ship.

wow. Some impressive suggestions.

I wasn't aware of the thing about their skulls. I like the idea of by passing their skulls.

The hard part is designing this creature to be more than formidable in a straight fight, but also designing the encounter in such that bearing planetary scale weapons on this thing is the only solution.

Although, if Krayt Dragons were more like traditional dragons, in that they had wings, it would be pretty awesome putting a planetary scale beast against them in their ship.

You want to go to Onderon, chief.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Drexl

You know i wonder if we will get some drexl in the Aces book. For beast riders...

Hmm, some good ideas here.

Soak Value 15 Wound Threshold 60 Strain Threshold 20 M/R Defense 2/1

Now that I have F&D...anybody seen the Acklay? Brawn 6, Brawl 4, Six-armed...except for the WT it would take down a Krayt Dragon pretty quickly.

A little bit of tread necromancy but I figured it will be the best place to ask this question.

I'm planning to toss my group into a Kryat Dragon mouth (figuratively speaking. Maybe :D). The problem I have is that I know my players. As soon as they understand they will have to do it they will just want to get on their ship and shoot it from the sky. And I see no good reason why they can't really do it. Or why people are not doing it more often if Kryat Dragon pearls are so valuable. The creature is huge and it shouldn't be so hard to track from the air. So I would like some idea why is this not done.

Take a look at crate of Kraytes. Also some Kraytes are starship scale per lore.