Krayt Dragon pearl but no Krayt Dragon

By kaosoe, in General Discussion

So the Force and Destiny beta book gives us rules for Lightsaber crystals and their various properties. They even give us the fabled Krayt Dragon pearl. But what of the legendary beast from whence it came?

I realize it's very likely we will see a Krayt Dragon in the final product. I am fine with that, but I would be upset with myself if I didn't make a note of this missed opportunity and the Krayt Dragon not show up when the actual rulebook was released.

I really do want to see how scary these things are, and hope to see them in the final product, if not in an upcoming beta update for testing.

They had a baby krayt dragon back in the adventure in the EotE beta.

They had a baby krayt dragon back in the adventure in the EotE beta.

could we reverse the baby template to get a full grown one?

Here's the "Young Krayt Dragon" stats:

5Br/3Ag/1Int/1Cun/1Wil/1Pres

5 Soak, 0 Defense; 30 Wound

Brawl 2, Perception 2, Survival 2

Talent: Knockdown (Triumph on successful melee to knock target prone)

Equipment: Brutal Claws and Teeth (Brawl; Dam 6; Crit 4; Engaged Range; Pierce 1)

Could probably use Immature/Mature Zakkeg (pg 36 of Operation Shadowpoint ) to get rough ideas of what to increase.

Based off removing the Juvenile template on the Krayt in the Crate of Krayts adventure it look like this. Sadly they did not give us a silhouette

Adult Krayt Dragon [Nemesis] Name: Adult Krayt Dragon Type: Nemesis Power Level: 378 Brawn 5 Agility 3 Intellect 1 Cunning 1 Willpower 1 Presence 1 Soak 5 Melee Def 0 Ranged Def 0 Wound 64 Strain 22

Skills:
Brawl 3 , Perception 2 , Survival 3
Talents:
Knockdown - After hitting with a melee attack, may spend Triumph to knock the target prone.
Weapons:
Brutal claws and teeth - Skill: Brawl , Range: Engaged, Damage: 12, Crit: 4, Qualities: Pierce 1

I would probably d something like add Laminate armor to represent the thicker hide.

Edited by Daeglan

Silhouette is 3 (pg 154 in FaD - Silhouettes and Characters chart found near the Improvised Weapons rules for the other books).

Silhouette is 3 (pg 154 in FaD - Silhouettes and Characters chart found near the Improvised Weapons rules for the other books).

for the Juvenile or the adult?

Adult

So at force rating 3 you can have a Krayt as your companion....

Increase soak (10 or so) for a thicker hide. Some ranks in adversary too for deflecting some fire if appropriate.

If we were to increase soak, we should consider decreasing wounds.

If I were to make my own Krayt dragon, I would want it to be deadly and scary (perhaps an ability to induce fear?). It would hit hard, but wouldn't take 2 hours of combat to kill.

I agree with Mouthymerc, it would need adversary 2 at least.

Edited by kaosoe

I suspect that facing off with a full-grown Krayt Dragon is along the lines of how Deadlands used to treat Stone (aka the cover boy for the Classic version):

You confront Stone. You die. Roll up a new character.

And when Stone did finally get stats (in the Deadlands: Reloaded book)... he was still an absolute beast and facing him in direct combat was akin to taking on Mike Tyson in his prime while playing an anemic toddler.

In the first KOTOR game, part of the quest line is that you have to remove a Krayt Dragon from a cave you need to enter to access the plot macguffin, and the experienced professional hunter that helps you opts to simply kill the beast via high-powered exploves than a direct confrontation, lamenting the decision but knowing that it was simply too dangerous a predator to have so close to a settlement.

Going by the Saga Edition stats, a full-grown Krayt Dragon would chew up a Captive Rancor as a mid-morning snack, seeing as how these things were the size of a light freighter and nearly as tough.

As for getting your hands on a Krayt Dragon Pearl, that should be an adventure in and of itself, which is fitting given how freaking powerful that thing is as a lightsaber focusing crystal. I think my GM nearly had a seizure when he saw the base stats, to say nothing of how many ranks of Vicious could be added.

Edited by Donovan Morningfire

I agree Donovan. Krayt Dragon should be akin to insta-death in a "fair fight".

A guy can dream. Plus theory-crafting is a fun exercise.

Gotta be careful though. Last year I had +150 XP characters with fairly simple gear face down a rancor they could barely hurt. They never made it through it's wounds- instead they racked up the crits until the guy with the vibrosword could whack off it's head.

I just want to be able to scream like a krayt and scare away sand people even though I know they'll just be back and in greater numbers.

I would like to see an Ancient Krayt Dragon..

'you...sure about that one?

KraytDragon-CotF.jpg

I'm not sure Brawn "5" quite embodies that...

Like this?

Ancient Krayt Dragon [Nemesis] Name: Ancient Krayt Dragon

Type: Nemesis Power Level: 518

Brawn 6 Agility 3 Intellect 1 Cunning 1 Willpower 1 Presence 1 Soak 8 Melee Def 1 Ranged Def 1 Wound 65 Strain 22

Skills:
Brawl 4 , Perception 2 , Survival 3
Talents:
Adversary 2 - Upgrade the difficulty of any combat check targeting this character once per rank of Adversary.
Knockdown - After hitting with a melee attack, may spend Triumph to knock the target prone.
Weapons:
Brutal claws and teeth - Skill: Brawl 4, Range: Engaged, Damage: 12, Crit: 2 ADV, Qualities: Pierce 1

Silhouette 4

Last Updated: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 6:54 PM

Edited by Daeglan

KraytDragon-CotF.jpg

would deal with a few players who really don't think some things through..

But in general yeah, I know it'd be a nigh impossible fight(or so i'd like to imagine) but it'd be an interesting encounter.

at least I didn't ask for a greater Krayt Dragon.

Like this?

Brawn 6 Agility 3 Intellect 1 Cunning 1 Willpower 1 Presence 1 Soak 8 Melee Def 1 Ranged Def 1 Wound 65 Strain 22

Skills:

Talents:

Adversary 2 - Upgrade the difficulty of any combat check targeting this character once per rank of Adversary.

Weapons:

Brutal claws and teeth - Skill: Brawl 4, Range: Engaged, Damage: 12, Crit: 2 ADV, Qualities: Pierce 1

Silhouette 4

I'd say make it a Silhouette 5, if only to keep it out of Force Move's reach. As well as change it's range to better represent it's size. Or maybe I just want too much.

I would add a couple ranks of durable too.

BRING IT!

Duel_by_hokunin_zps7b67b171.jpg

I would add a couple ranks of durable too.

or massive?

Like this?

Skills:

Talents:

Weapons:

Silhouette 4

I'd say make it a Silhouette 5, if only to keep it out of Force Move's reach. As well as change it's range to better represent it's size. Or maybe I just want too much.

I like where your head is at, I just don't see it as being on the same size class as the CR90 or Wayfarer.

Edited by kaosoe