Double-Bladed Lightsabers

By snaykeeiyes, in General Discussion

Unless you kill a jedi and take his saber. Then you only have to buy one crystal } :)

So here's an interesting thought/wrinkle on the topic of double-bladed lightsabers...

There's been a few instances in Legends/EU where someone either combined two separate lightsabers into a double-bladed 'saber (Asajj Ventress with her curved hilt 'sabers had that option, and it might have even made it into TCW's movie premiere) or had a double-bladed 'saber get cut in half but both halves still be usable, which happened to Darth Maul in the Star Wars Tales comic in the story pitting a resurrected (via Sith sorcery/alchemy) Maul against Darth Vader. I've been toying around with an "interlocking hilt" attachment to allow one to connect two separate basic 'sabers into a double-bladed saber (much as Asajj has done and can be see in the Ryan vs. Brandon fan film series), with an added kicker that if the double-bladed saber is destroyed via 2 Triumphs, the PC has the option of allowing one of the two basic lightsabers to continue to function. To say nothing of Maul being able to continue using half of his ruined double-bladed 'saber after Obi-Wan bisected it during their one-on-one fight in TPM.

There's also the bit that in spite how we typically see a double-bladed lightsaber being used, the weapon itself doesn't specify that two-hands are required, verbiage that is present for the cortosis staff, electrostaff, force pike, and vibro-ax. Then again, we do have the Inquisitor in Star Wars: Rebels using a double-bladed saber with a single hand. So perhaps a possible tweak to the rules in the final version would be to allow the wielder to bypass requirement to use two hands but the saber-staff gains the Unwieldy 3 trait in exchange? So either use a two-hand grip and no Unwieldy, or use it one-handed and have to contend with Unwieldy.

There's also the bit that in spite how we typically see a double-bladed lightsaber being used, the weapon itself doesn't specify that two-hands are required, verbiage that is present for the cortosis staff, electrostaff, force pike, and vibro-ax. Then again, we do have the Inquisitor in Star Wars: Rebels using a double-bladed saber with a single hand.

also in the swtor trailer we see a fully ignited doublebladed saber used single handed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm4JEZudf0c

(it happens at 3.30 minutes)

Don't get too hung up on the price in Cr. it, IMO, is really only there to help place a monetary value on the item as a comparison to other items PCs might purchase. For the most part your GM should have you acquire the necessary parts through adventuring. Parts for, or whole, Lightsabers are going to be exceeding difficult to find and invariably priced beyond what a PC would normally be able to pay. I'd talk to your GM and see how they plan on making such things available.

Thoughts?

Pfft! Double Bladed Sabers are so 1999! All the cool kids are going with the Broadsword Lightsaber!

The knightsaber lol

In the Clone Wars one of the Jedi Generals uses two double bladed lightsabers one handed even though he has 4 arms I forget his name but watched the episodes recently.

In the Clone Wars one of the Jedi Generals uses two double bladed lightsabers one handed even though he has 4 arms I forget his name but watched the episodes recently.

You mean General Pong Krell , right?

You mean General Pong Krell , right?

Yep that's the guy. Thanks for looking it up.

Pretty sure Krell is using the saberstaffs (saberstaves?) with his two same-side arms when he's spinning them around and in active combat with them. He does one-hand them at times, but it's for more simple maneuvers.

Plus he's also got hands the size of hamhocks...

Then again, Kao Cen Darach does pretty well one-handing a saberstaff...

DarachT%C3%B6tetVindican.jpg

Thinking of allowing a double bladed saber to have different crystals, but the hilt and other modifications have to be the same. I like the idea of being able to have different properties and even colors if a player wants to. Besides for story purposes I might have them find a better crystal, but only one side gets the benefit until they find ano ther crystal

Well -- is it a double hilt LIGHTSABER that detaches into two? I'd double the costs. Is it non detachable one length double bladed than pay for one. One is more expensive as its detachable and is two sabers. One is cheaper as it isn't and loses function if broken in half.

Also-- if your GM id suggest looking for the pieces via story. Maybe the force calls to the player (if force sensitive) maybe they can meditate or make force rolls here and there--- make s number of light or dark side successes equal a piece. 5 light side a session will grant one piece found. Each dark side negates a success. SWAP the idea for a dark sider-- maybe he's looking for Sith pieces and dark side becomes successes and light negates a success. Keep track secretly but tell them there is a mechanic and they must hit a threshold (do this is it doesn't seem random to the player and possibly frustrate them) but tell them at the end for the surprise factor.

I get the buying stuff-- it's the American way. I can't find the SUPER RARE MYSTICAL pieces of the mystical JEDI weapon? Here-- take my money...pay 2 win? I'll buy the DLC if it includes the LIGHTSABER! I'll buy the Collectors Edition; it comes with a yellow and black crystal...etc etc.