two weapon wielder, 2 attacks with half action?

By jack_px, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

hi i just wanted to ask, how does this works, at the end of lightning attack you can read this (page 222):

''If the character is armed with two weapons, and has the appropriate talents, he may make a secondary attack with his other weapon as part of this action.''

so, that means, i can make two lightning attacks with only half action, or i must make 2 half actions to make one attack with both weapons?, and how does evade works here, can you evade both attacks??

example: an heretic attack with two weapon wielder with lightning attack to our acolite, the heretic gets 2 degrees of success and 3 degrees of success in the second attack, so our acolite recieve 5 impacts, our acolite take his reaction and use evade scoring 5 degrees of success, this means, that our acolite managed to evade the 5 impacts?, or because they are with different weapons he must choose before rolling which attack he want to evade?

Edited by jack_px

Normally, only one action with the attack-substybe is allowed per round.

With Lightning Attack you take a half action to perform it, then you can inflict multiple hits .

As for evading, check out page 220: evading auto-fire, etc.

On page 228 the rules are laid out for attacking with a second weapon. The character attacks standard, swift or lightning with one attack ACTION with the main weapon, and if the character has the two weapon wielder (melee) talent can do ANOTHER standard, swift or lightning attack ACTION using the off hand weapon. Hence it will cost 2 half actions to do this, and this is allowed even when normally only one attack action can be done.

Similarly for ballistic weapons and mixed weapons.

The text they have added in the sections on standard attack, swift attack, lightning attack etc. does indeed specify that the second attack is part of the SAME action, so it seems we have a contradiction, although they refer to page 228 for clarification. This contradiction should be resolved in some errata.

If both attacks could be done with one half action it would open up for aim + dual attacks in every round.

With regards to dodge vs dual wield:

In any case it is two attacks, so the target has choose to say yay or nay to dodge on the first attack (if it hits) before the second is rolled for.

Edited by Alox

Honestly, it mostly works the same way it's worked since DH1, and through all the other lines, it's just more streamlined and slightly better worded now.

Yes, if you use a half action for a Lightning Attack, and have Two Weapon Wielder, as part of that Half Action, you can make either a Standard, Swift, or Lightning Attack with the other hand.

It's all one Half Action

Honestly, it mostly works the same way it's worked since DH1, and through all the other lines, it's just more streamlined and slightly better worded now.

Yes, if you use a half action for a Lightning Attack, and have Two Weapon Wielder, as part of that Half Action, you can make either a Standard, Swift, or Lightning Attack with the other hand.

It's all one Half Action

That is not true, in DH1, Rogue Trader and Deathwatch multiple attacks is a full action.

In DH2 the attack with the main hand is a half action and the attack with the off hand is another half action, total a full action. At least that is how I read page 228.

However, reading the talent "Two-Weapon Wielder" on page 133 it becomes clear that the off hand attack is indeed considered to be a free action, so in conclusion: It is total a half action. :-)

Edited by Alox

Sorry, I should have been more clear,

What I meant more was that Two Weapon Wielder Attacks have always been part of the same action. In DH 1 you could fire one or both pistols Full Auto in the same Full Action if you had TWW
Since it was a full action, and you had no option for more actions, it's not a great example, but I was just pointing out that both attacks being one action isn't something new at all.

Anyways, OW and DH2 do make it abundantly clear that it is just one action.
Every entry of attacking action states that both attack actions can be made with just the one action.
And the rules on 228 don't explicitly go against this, they just say you can make another attack action, which is what any attack is.

so basically you make one attack with half action and another attack with a free action. They are two separate attack so you can only dodge one attack (unless you have step aside)

so basically you make one attack with half action and another attack with a free action. They are two separate attack so you can only dodge one attack (unless you have step aside)

yeah, and you dont have to set both attacks on the same target, the off hand attack can go to another target engaged in melee with, and dont forget to aim your main attack if you dont have anything else to use the other half action on

Edited by Alox

Sorry, I should have been more clear,

What I meant more was that Two Weapon Wielder Attacks have always been part of the same action. In DH 1 you could fire one or both pistols Full Auto in the same Full Action if you had TWW

Since it was a full action, and you had no option for more actions, it's not a great example, but I was just pointing out that both attacks being one action isn't something new at all.

Anyways, OW and DH2 do make it abundantly clear that it is just one action.

Every entry of attacking action states that both attack actions can be made with just the one action.

And the rules on 228 don't explicitly go against this, they just say you can make another attack action, which is what any attack is.

As I remember in 1st DH you may make only single fire with both ranged weapons with gunslinger talent.

Edited by Talissera