Exterminatus Vs DOOM!!!!!

By Smeehee, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Strategy

hi

I mainly play tau and originally paired with SM for Exterminatus and the flyer, but after playing some games I found that I almost never get to use Exterminatus and flyers arn't as good as I thought. My new deck is Tau/Eldar and has 2 copies of doom which I now think is much better but was wondering what others thought on Exterminatus Vs DOOM!!!!!

the biggest problem I have with Exterminatus is that my opponents rarely mass lost of units on the 2nd-5th planets during deployment and I have no way to force them to.

doom however is almost impossible to dodge as whenever you win a 1st planet (how you win the game) units naturally go to HQ along with any troops that retreat

All true, especially in regards to Exterminatus the only unfortunate thing with Doom is that you too might have a bunch of units at your HQ.

yeah but you can generally set yourself up to have little to no units at HQ (or just stuff you dont care about)

for example

i send a kroot pack or 2 (basicly just enough to win against what they have at the planet) to the first planet to draw my opponents warlord there and commit my warlord elsewhere

I direct my attacks at his warlord and die getting my 3-6 resources back and the doom next turn

as a rule you need to concede a planet to get a good doom but you can set yourself up for a win-win if the opponet has to chose between conceding the first planet or committing their warlord

also if you are Eldar/Dark Eldar you can use terror to send units to HQ then doom

Yep, we too were heavily disappointing with how wimpy and generally impotent Exterminatus ends up being most of the time - which is a shame because thematically, it should be the ultimate in death and destruction when played. Sigh.

The biggest thing Exterminatus has going for it is that you can use it more surgically and avoid hitting your own units with it. But it depends on what your opponent is trying to do.

Yeah, that's totally true sink74

TBH though, if your opponent isn't massing at one planet, then Exterminatus is doing it's job for you. If the mere THREAT of the card forces your opponent to play differently, then it's working as intended I feel ;)

It is also an amazing counter to swarm/horde like factions like Tyranids (conjecture), Orks and DE.

Furthermore, the Space Marines are already kick ass as they are...do they -really- need a card that replicates Doom in their arsenal?

The more I play, the less difference I see between the two in terms of power level. As we all get better at the game, opponents are better at playing around both Doom and Exterminatus. Doom tends to get one or two more units (often tokens), Exterminatus tends to let you win Command Struggles netting you a card/resource or two.

I won a game once because my opponent didn't think it was worth using exterminatus on just two units. She later regretted not playing it. Killing two units is indeed worth it.

I won a game once because my opponent didn't think it was worth using exterminatus on just two units. She later regretted not playing it. Killing two units is indeed worth it.

You know a female who will play this with you ? nice .......

Edited by CLSMerc

You know a female who will play this with you ? nice .......

Classy dude. Real classy.

I personally know PEOPLE who play this game with me. Their gender is irrelevant; what matters is that we both enjoy the game. Try and remember that women are people, not just objects of desire for you to 'enjoy'. Attitudes like that are the reason that a lot of women DON'T play these games.

If you feel like discussing this further I suggest we do so in a separate thread or over PM (as it's entirely possible such a thread would get locked anyway).

/angryrant

let's get back on topic, shall we?