chaos/DE burn Vs eldar

By Smeehee, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Strategy

hi

I recently played a few games with a chaos/DE burn deck with but i keep getting beaten by eldar and their annoying nullify/doom/gift of isha/exhaust shenanigans

to be fair when they doom me it it usually my fault for having so much at my HQ but in general they just deny me so much resources through lost/tied command and nullifying my 3-4 resorce events for 0 (and the occasional devastating doom).

any suggestions on how i fight eldar with chaos/De burn or just in general

also is anyone finding power from pain to be a good card as i rarely find it to be useful

Take this advice with a grain of salt, but these are my thoughts...

Eldar are very good at winning command struggles, so that will always be difficult no matter the faction. You may have to over commit to make sure you'll win certain command struggles. Also your warlord trumps command, so sent him after those survivalists. Use Tzeentch's Firestorm to pop weak units in the deploy phase, and you may need to use Flamers to remove opposing units. The Eldar player can't win command struggle if units aren't present.

Nullify only works while there's a ready unique character, so don't play any expensive events why the warlord is standing.

Whenever there's a strong unit at the top of the discard pile try and pick off a weak unit, that should shut down gift of isha, or draw out those nullifies on cheap events.

Doom is difficult to avoid at some point. If the move a unit planet is in play, load up the first planet, but send your warlord to that planet. At least you'll be able to save one big unit from Doom.

Another anti doom strategy would be to try and starve the Eldar player from credits. The Eldar player will probably be able to still play Doom, but hopefully nothing else, so you won't fall behind.

Power from pain is a hit or miss card. If you can remove the low cost units, though other effects or combat it's very potent. Usually it's a win more card. Between Tzeentch's Firestorm, Dire Mutation and sending your warlord after low HP units, it's not that hard to wipe out cheap units.

How many Void Pirates and Rogue Traders are you using? The cheap command icons allow you to spread out among the planets faster and the additional cards/resources maximize your gain when you win a command struggle. The further you can spread command icons across the sector, the more work Eldar has to do to "choke" you out of resources. So if you are not using the neutral units in your Chaos deck (there is no shortage of command icons in Chaos, but they are more expensive on average than Eldar), you might want to rethink that.

Further, the more command struggles you can win, the harder it will be for Eldar to play their expensive events -- like Doom.

I wonder also if Chaos/DE makes for a bad match-up against eldar. My general feeling is that the eldar are craftier than most of the other factions. They win by controlling, outmaneuvering and denying an opponent. Then they make a big play, at just the right time to change the balance in their favor. Well, you have Chaos, a fairly blunt faction, but it is somewhat diluted by DE, which are also on the crafty side. That seems like a good balance, but maybe not against a controlling deck when your own partial control elements may slow you down, but are not enough to match them.

In my experience, control decks tend to suffer against the more aggressive decks. Maybe try a Chaos/Ork deck, which would be more aggressive, would put pressure on them and perhaps not allow for the steady build up that they are looking for.

I also don't like Power From Pain. Too unfocused, allowing your opponent to choose what he wants to sacrifice. For two resources, that's not so good. I expect that this would be one of he first cards discarded from DE decks as soon new cards come along.

im trying for mono factions . the alliance approach is interesting but .... would Eldar side with the Dark ? im not so sure.

im trying for mono factions . the alliance approach is interesting but .... would Eldar side with the Dark ? im not so sure.

Are you asking if they would ally thematically? They most definitely would. They kind of see themselves as brothers that have different beliefs. The article below covers it really well (and other thematic concerns).

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/warhammer-40k-conquest/the-chime-of-eons-the-eldar-r1200

From the article:

The Dark Eldar alliance makes perfect sense, as despite their different philosophies the two share a common history and heritage and see each other as misguided cousins rather than opposites. The Craftworld Eldar and Dark Eldar have more in common and more kinship than the Craftworld Eldar have with any other race, and this is a nice representation of the fact that W40K doesn’t really have black and white definitions of good and evil – just different factions that overlap in different ways and have various shades of grey. The Eldar / Dark Eldar link is well documented in recent setting information. While Eldar do fight Dark Eldar (and indeed Eldar fight Eldar as well) there are notable alliance actions between the two, and a sense of shared history.

They are family. Not friends, not bosom buddies, but definitely just family.
Edited by Kaic

They'd rather ally with eachother than any other race.

The other races are just inferior to them, they view eachother more like misguided but still related.

Edited by Gridash

How well does eldar/dark eldar go would that be a good idea.