Do you think there is a chance there will be expansions for this game, or will it stay stand alone game?

By El_Tonio, in Star Wars: Empire vs. Rebellion

Looks like the Cold War version is stand alone. But, it seems like they could release expansions for this sort of game if they wanted to.

Maybe small 15 card non-random foil packs that cost $4 with 1 character card, 1 strategy card, and 5 resource cards for each side, plus one event card.

I could see buying several of these if they were available to increase the replayability of the game.

Edited by El_Tonio

I demo'd this game at Gencon, and I did not get the impression that it would have a lot of room for expansions. Honestly, I wasn't very impressed, because it was basically just a Star Wars-themed game of blackjack. Not too suprising, though, considering that it retails for just $13.

If you are looking for a Star Wars-themed card game with a lot more expansions and a lot more replayability, look no further than Star Wars: The Card Game ! That game is awesome!

...plus, using movie stills for the card art really limits the production for expansions.

I have trouble imagining expansions for this game. One things expansions would do is increase customizability. If I'm not mistaken, you already have to choose 4 of the 8 characters to include in your deck before you play. Adding any more customizability will shift this game too far from its target casual audience. I see this game more as a pick-up-and-play game.

And if you don't customize your deck with the additional cards, you will dilute the deck to where you can't make any meaningful predictions on what cards you'll see next because there will be so many possibilities. Then again, that just makes the resource that lets you look at the top two cards of your deck even more valuable, so maybe adding new stuff isn't so bad.

If there were an expansion, I would expect two new resource types with new abilities and 4 more characters for each side to choose from. But that seems like such a small amount of cards. What would they charge for it? It would probably be close to the list price fore the base game.