Beta Update 1

By FFG_Sam Stewart, in General Discussion

Hello Force and Destiny play testers!

We've posted our first update to the Force and Destiny Beta. Since many of you are still in the process of procuring Beta copies, this update primarily focuses on correcting errors and some minor tweaks.

We'd also like to mention that many of you have provided some great feedback already by sending emails to [email protected]. We really appreciate everything you've sent in, but just wanted to let you know that the volume of emails we get means we generally cannot respond directly to submissions.

Thanks again, and we look forward to hearing your feedback over the coming months!

I had mentioned over on Twitter that I wasn't expecting any major changes for this initial update, especially as the books are still making their way onto store shelves and into folks' hands.

While I'm not totally enthused about lightsabers being made immune to Sunder, but it is in keeping with the prior two core rulebooks. Nice to see a mention of being able to salvage a focusing crystal from a destroyed lightsaber hilt while keeping the modifications intact.

Why are lightsabers made immune to Sunder, but able to be destroyed with double Triumph? Can other weapons be destroyed this way?

Glad to see Heal/Harm clarified to indicate that you can remove your own wounds.

While I'm not totally enthused about lightsabers being made immune to Sunder, but it is in keeping with the prior two core rulebooks.

The option is actually there, but you need to get 2 Triumphs to actually do it (3rd page).

Also, I'm assuming the whole "can remove a crystal from a broken lightsaber with attachments there" thing basically means that when a lightsaber gets the equivalent of 3 difficulty item damage, it's just permanently gone and cannot be repaired with the cost of the hilt in parts + a repair check. If this is the case, it should probably be clarified, as well as text saying that attachments done to crystals stay with the crystal should also be thrown in with the side-bar on Lightsaber attachments so it's more obvious that crystals can be removed and inserted into new hilts whenever.

Why are lightsabers made immune to Sunder, but able to be destroyed with double Triumph? Can other weapons be destroyed this way?

The idea is probably that any weapon can't just slowly damage a lightsaber until it's destroyed, and so it's pretty much completely destroyed or nothing. Which is definitely kind of odd, particularly with something like Darth Maul's saber being cut into two and half of it still working fine.

Lightsaber sundering is purely in the Narrative.

The idea is probably that any weapon can't just slowly damage a lightsaber until it's destroyed, and so it's pretty much completely destroyed or nothing. Which is definitely kind of odd, particularly with something like Darth Maul's saber being cut into two and half of it still working fine.

Precisely what I was thinking.

Although, if the developers want to keep this all or nothing approach, they could add a line to the description of the saberstaff that gives it the ability to still function if Sundered, somehow.

I think there's always been an option to use two triumph to destroy a piece of gear that someone is using. I think this just clarifies how it applies to lightsabers.

I think there's always been an option to use two triumph to destroy a piece of gear that someone is using. I think this just clarifies how it applies to lightsabers.

I would like to see a mechanism whereby Lightsabers could be damaged in the "normal" spectrum. Currently it's either perfectly fine or scrap metal.

* While it's rare to have 2 Triumph, I would suggest that the 2 Triumph to destroy an item should also require the Sunder ability.

* It should not then require 2 Triumph to simply damage the lightsaber one grade (to be sure no everyone understands my meaning)

It should be more difficult to sunder a lightsaber: (it's expensive and rare, and taking from a player could be a bit much) the vulnerable bit is a hard target, mostly covered by the weilder's hands, but it should be possible to damage it in degrees like other weapons.

I don't have any ideas on how to achieve these goals in-game without mucking up the rules though. I'm just not really very pleased with the current idea.

What my group did (and I'm likely to keep doing for my game) was that one Damaged result from 2T was the lowest set of damage and made it stop working for the fight (though we allowed a Mechanics/Waepon Skill Easy check to "clear the jam" and getting it working again, failure meant it was out for the fight, no further "single action" rolls would get it working). After the fight a long action roll could be made to fix it like normal, or the PC could just "get it working again" but at the level of damage it took.

If the weapon took another 2T hit, it would be further damaged, again knocked out for the fight (the "Tap, Rack, Bang" check was always 1 higher than the "fix it properly" check) and again could be gotten working post fight for no roll.

At 3 hits, yeah it was just out.

And yes, we had a fight where the enemy Droid Rivals kept rolling 2T with almost every shot... it was a long, long, fight and my Mechanic got a work out trying to keep our blasters going (we were down to 3 working weapons out of 8 by the end of the fight). It was glorious.

was the update suppose to be 2 or 3 pages? The page number at the bottom of page 2 is 3.

The reason you can't suder a lightsaber is because you can't sunder an energy blade. the double triumph is the fact you got very lucky and hit the actual hilt. and yeah i would say the weapon would need a double triumph and the sunder quality.

This makes the Resist Disarm talent extremely powerful for 5exp. Two triumphs to destroy the lightsaber, but two strain to ignore that two triumphs. Yes I know, the GM could spend the triumphs on other things, but then it takes away the usefulness of the talent. ( if the makashi duelist wields a lightsaber, which i guess the duelist does sooner or later anyway)

was the update suppose to be 2 or 3 pages? The page number at the bottom of page 2 is 3.

The update is two pages; the page numbering is incorrect. We'll fix that for the next update.

Lovely little clarity update, thank you. I for a moment didn't see the (Improved) part of reflect/parry in pdf and almost snorted my coffee thinking that they had been rolled into one talent.

I believe a disarm and having your saber cut in 2 is 2 different things. A disarm can be done with 3 threats. This doesn't damage the weapon just sends it skittering across the floor, or over a cliff hehehe. The 2 Triumphs means one part skitters over the cliff, while you stare dumbly at the other half in your fist. (while thinking of all kinds of nasty things to call your GM)

Edited by Danudet

I believe a disarm and having your saber cut in 2 is 2 different things. A disarm can be done with 3 threats. This doesn't damage the weapon just sends it skittering across the floor, or over a cliff hehehe. The 2 Triumphs means one part skitters over the cliff, while you stare dumbly at the other half in your fist. (while thinking of all kinds of nasty things to call your GM)

The Talent Resist Disarm allows you to ignore Disarming, Damaging, or Destroy weapon results for the low, low cost of 2 Strain.

I like the new lightsaber rule regarding sundering.

Yeah, I definitely agree on the no sundering lightsabers rule. Otherwise anytime a fight occurs, that is the first thing anyone will ever do.