Campaings for share

By Ripplo, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

Uuh I do like the Ending. Martellus returning could be such a hard hit. Ressurection of your worst enemy. :)

What stats did you use for him? Servotron ?

Ah and what did you do with the workers if the light Hypnotic thing got shot? Would be a hard hit if they all just go mental and attack everything. A bit evil hehe.

Ah and another small question what happens if they tell Pretia? What do they find down in the mine?

Uuh I do like the Ending. Martellus returning could be such a hard hit. Ressurection of your worst enemy. :)

What stats did you use for him? Servotron ?

Ah and what did you do with the workers if the light Hypnotic thing got shot? Would be a hard hit if they all just go mental and attack everything. A bit evil hehe.

No, I simply made some up. If you even as a GM want to know what's up with Matellus in the order the players would learn it, too, DO NOT CONTINUE TO READ THIS PASSAGE Spoiler . Matellus is not a human but a deformed, tortured and surgically altered Dark Eldar. Archon Lelith Araquir from the first adventure wanted to punish him for failing her. She ordered a Haemonculus to take away his appearance as an Dark Eldar and form him to look like a human, who he distastes with all his heart. (More details if we reach this point in the campaign). As for the first adventure and why he is alive now, he has to "thank" his archon again, she simply refuses to let his suffering stop and has him resurrected by a Haemonculus. He is also the perfect spy for her. Spoiler end Maybe this spoiler warning is not necessary, but better safe than sorry.

The stats I used:

Matellus

Armor: 5 Defense Value: 7 LP: 11

WS: 45

BS: 40

ST: 35

AG: 45

T: 25

IN: 40

PER: 40

WP: 35

CH: 30

IF: -

Matellus Shuriken Pistol

Schaden 1W10+5 E

DS 3

RW: 50m

RoF: S/3/10

Mun: 50

Nld: 1voll

Gew: 1,5kg

The weapon is razo sharp.

He gets +20 stealth and if you need other skills and talents just give him what you would think fits for a senior operative.

Good point forgot to mention that one. If you stop the light, before they receive their orders, they are stunned for 1d10 min and then slowly regain their consciousness. Should the PCs destroy the platform an alarm will arise and Matellus will storm in the cave with all his guards. He might not suspect intruders but a malfunction in the aperture and he knows if he can't restart it quickly, he will have to kill all miners, who will die like sheep. Very crafty PCs with the fitting forbidden lore (xenos) might want to manipulate the miners themselves...

Ah and another small question what happens if they tell Pretia? What do they find down in the mine?

I'm not sure what you mean...if the PCs tell Pretia they want to investigate the mine?

Then she will warn Matellus and he will stop his operations and a holographic device will cover the artificial tunnel to the warp gate. But he will also try to spy on the investigating characters. If he succeeds in that unnoticed, he will lay a trap for them and try to kill his former killers...

Does this answer your questions?

EDIT:

Hm seems like the forum does not like my NPC chart...it transformed it in the list you see...

Edited by Ripplo

Yeah thank you. That was the question. Great idea with Martellus. My Group dicapitated him =/ So I will give him a sexy new body ;D

There is no time passed, the acolytes are just ordered to get back on board of the Salvation. IIDR3 is still on the planet and stays there for some time. In between the sessions I offer my players a little free play time. Then they can explore the ship, meet NPCs do some side quests or just let them train so their PC's improvements are justified.

Weeks later, still in orbit around Herakles:

It is late on board of the Salvation. The night shift has begun. It takes some time to accustom yourself on never changing light levels. While other ships often vary the light levels on board, to simulate something like a normal day, the salvation is captured in a never changing state. The only evidence that time really passes are the chronos on the walls and regular announcements of shift changes and calls for prayers.

The PCs do what they usually do around midnight...sleep, train, read, meditate, etc. Where ever they are, they are found by young messengers. They are apparently very nervous, their faces red. Some sort of machine is build into their head. Probably to better locate the addressee? Then they start to control their voice and deliver the message: “My lords, the Inquisitor Ignatius Draco Rasputin III personally send me.” Their you have the reason for their nervousness. “He wants to let you know, he is now ready to receive you.” The PCs should know that this is just another way of an order as IIDR3 still tests their personalities in detail, as for now how good they can read between the lines or if they tend to refuse something from him, even if it is not really hidden.

The PCs walk through the busy hallways. There is a lot of movement like always. When they pass the ship's cathedral priests call in the people for the midnight mass. Then they pass once more the invisible line to the inquisitor's quarters. The hallways are as pompous as the one near the cathedral, but here they are empty again. Only the shadows move. Servitors and servants hushing through the sideways.

When they finally reach the reception room, Eolaus greets them and lets them pass right on. In the grand office of their master IIDR3 stands behind his desk the giant window in his back. You can see the moon pass. He wears very pompous clothes and armor, all his seals and especially his seal showing him to be an inquisitor shine visibly on his chest. You would think that's his attire to make an impression. Then again he probably interrogated the planetary governess and wanted to make sure nobody was stupid enough to get into his way.

When the PCs enter he shortly looks up and gestures them to come closer. When they close in they can smell a very delicate incense aroma coming from some cherubim flying over their heads. Once they reach the desk, he closes some files and puts them aside. While he sits down in his throne, he gestures the PCs to sit, too. (Well, depending on the outcome, his reaction might vary. My players did very well, fought off the DEs and captured the heretic Lady Preatia. So I go with that premise) “Ah, I am very pleased. Interrogator Rex send me a report about your progress. The Emperor seems to have a destiny in the Inquisition in mind for you.” A smile forms on his old lips. Although it looks friendly, something lets the PCs shiver. “Well, even as you just stumbled over these vile xenos, does not narrow your achievements. After all you defeated them and safed not only the village, but important resources for the Imperium.” His voice becomes more formal. “I am glad and proud to now officially arise you in the rank of an Acolyte of his holy Inquisition. Feel proud as you are now serving his holy Emporer as his left hand. You will fight not just for wealth or power. You will fight for the very soul of the Imperium.” He leans back and activates some rune. Eolaus enters with a tray. The acolytes get some of the finest amasec of the sector, while IIDR3 tells them that the rank of an Acolyte brings many advantages, as they can work in his name, but also many duties. He especially ephasizes that they should not abuse their new position or his name for personal gains.

(I now awarded them with a gain in Influence of +5, but that is up to you)

After a short while of light smalltalk about their new rolls and maybe questions from the PCs, IIDR3 changes the subject back to work.

“As we all know, the enemies of the Imperium never rest and so do we. I got troublesome news from a world called Aridus III or Staub (Dust) by the locals. It is a world struggling to decide if it should live or die and has no especially high value, but it is still a world of the Imperium. I will send you there on board of a trader's ship, the Spate. I want you to investigate certain reports about sightings of lights in the sky and other phenomena that might be caused by a psionic entity. All these reports are made in connection with a cult or clan, find out what it is. It is known by the name of Cenk durum Karsilamak. This clan or cult seems to gain more and more land and influence, it stands to reason, that they use psykers to do that. If you are able to, try to stop them. If not, send a message for aid.”

IIDR3 looks everyone in the eyes, looking for doubt.

You can find furhter information in the libraries. Prepare for a rather warm climate. You can get one set of blanko papers each. It might be wise, not to announce the presence of the inquisition if your backup is about three months away. That is all. May the Emperor give you the strength to fulfill his will.”

Edited by Ripplo

A short but a sweet rp break. Really love your writing style. I am guessing we gonna meet an old friend again :D ?

Well thank you again, my one true follower ;)

I just made a shorter part, because I hope to motivate myself easier, if it is less work.^^

Well, if you are thinking about good old Matellus then no, I give the DE a break. But you can find a clue about which antagonist I choose from the clan's name, if you translate it ;) ...I hope my translation is ok...I just took the single words and looked them up in google.^^

I intend to post the planet's data next week as well as the beginning of the adventure. It will start in a dessert city, a little investigation will take place, than a tour through the dessert into the no man's land ...right in the eye of the storm if you like ;)

The PCs look in shock to the crowd of people, they see their newly won friends and allies. Jaquobeaux, Ihen, the baroness de la Severine and even Ekatharina, the little girl with the untamable will to survive. They all get lost by the surrounding troops blocking their field of view. The PCs have to decide if they want to wait and watch or enter the shuttle and only hear the opening of las fire.

Wow that was sad. I guess it fits grimdark really nice but still "dat emotions"

I only read first adventure but it looks really cool. I was thinking how to port it to my OW campaing, any sugestions?

I am happy to hear you like it. I do not have any experience with running an OW game.

You could maybe just let your player squad(?) being transported in a civilian ship (the one that crashes), because of an engine damage on board the original transporter? Then you can keep the rest or do I miss something? Maybe the end will need some change, that they do not get bound into service of the inquisition.^^

My group started the first adventure yesterday. We only got to play right until they leave the crash site. It went smoothly enough with a couple of gotchas.

One is that the PCs wondered when they were going to work with an Inquisitor since it is Dark Heresy. They immediately suspected that IDR3 was the Inquisitor. I had created a banker character who was similar in preparation for this potential issue of ruining the surprise but it does not appear to have worked. They also almost immediately uncovered that he was the Inquisitor. One of the characters was a chirurgeon and attempted to take a look at the bandage on his head. Luckily she became distracted soon after declaring she would do so and it never happened.

The next issue, is that the PCs decided that taking lots of NPCs with them to the settlement would be a bad idea. They will move much faster without them. They decided to leave almost everyone at the crash site. This means they will not bond with the characters as much as I had expected.

My PCs are also a very paranoid bunch. They tried to keep their distance from Ekatarina assuming that such a sweet child is obviously going to morph into a horrible warp creature/psyker/possessed demon of some kind. I had to create another threat in the form of a large warp worm that had burrowed onto the ship and was responsible for a lot of deaths to make them feel that the threat wasn't from the NPCs I had introduced. Thankfully at the moment, they do not suspect Matellus of any wrongdoing. I had to create a lot more named NPCs (6 additional) though to hide him in the pack though. Otherwise at the first death they would of suspected who it was amongst the small number of named NPCs. So I created a pack of teenage drug addicts who were so high they didn't even notice the crash. A somewhat mad old singer, some other crew such as from the galley, the entertainment hall, etc.

Anyway I just thought I would let everyone know some of the experiences from my group :)

Thank you Dewomer for your feedback. I think you reacted quite well to your group's behavior. I will address the points you mentioned. This is no critic of your solutions, it should just give other GMs some more ideas, if they encounter the same situations.

The bandage and secret identity of the inquisitor are a problematic point in the adventure. I let IDR3 simply refuse to be touched by a non noble medicae. I pictured a most unlikeable aristocrat, who was very confident that his rank and wealth still applied and who might not realize that it is not so. When players want to expose him, because they think, he is the inquisitor, I put two thoughts in there heads. 1. If he is not the inquisitor and you force him to take off his bandage or insult him, he might retaliate against you and you produce your own nemesis. Especially if the PCs are no powerful characters this should let them think twice. 2. If he is an inquisitor and you force him to reveal his true identity, he might retaliate even worse.

If the group wants to take off alone, show off the vile and dangerous environment. A small group is more likely to be attacked, than a big caravan. Let some lizard tigers sneak through some high grass before the jungle, like sharks in the water, just waiting for a snack.

If the players suspect Ekatharina to be a witch, let them. As soon as she is reunited with her mother, who might be grateful, their mind should get some peace. If not, let her stay close to the PCs while something bad happens...Matellus kills someone in the night and Ekatharina slept between the PCs.

So a short overview of information the PCs might get from the ship's libraries.

Re: Inq/12768802412/IDR-III

Theme: Information collection for acolyte group Purgare IV

Date: 2205797.M41

Original transcriber: Scholar Ibex – Board archive of the Salvation

Aridus III

Segmentum Obscura - Askellon Sektor – Aridus System

Classification: Agra world (status will be reviewed)

Population: 8.000.000.000 original, today approx. 25.000.000

Gravitation 1,02 Terra-Standard

Governor: J'ahmed Abdel Kahlet

- reduction to most important data -

Aridus III was one of the most important agrarian worlds of the sector about 400 years in the past. After an unpredictable expansion of the Pandaemonium it's orbit was altered. This lead to the destruction of most of it's agrarian areas and a mass dying of it's population in succession of rapid rising temperatures. General decay took it's hold over the world. It's people lost massive amounts of technological knowledge as well as most of their high culture.

Today is unprotected life only possible close to the poles, which also can only be classified as desert like tundras at best. Most cities are completely devastated and the population lives secluded in tribes, as nomads or in small cave villages. The bigger settlements are build with materials from the ruins of their past civilization.

If not for the Mechanicus, the Adeptus Administratum would have declared the world lost and closed it's file. But the techpriests saw a possibility to transform the former agrarian world into a forge world. Due to it's new orbit, Magos Uhr had the vision to build high energy Forges and to harness the solar energies. Since then the Adeptus Mechanicus started to build the first solar forge on the hostile to life equator region.

Suspicion of Heresy – Report of Scout Sebastian Rotschild

Towrn Direnis – Capital of the southern polar region and planet

Average temperature: 50 Grad

Population (last known): 46311

Governor: J'ahmed Abdel Kahlet

Ekklesarch: Bishop Jasmin Tar'ek

The imperial scout Sebastian Rotschild returned 2102797.M41 to the capital. He was part of an army to pacify the northern regions to ensure a safe passage for the techpriests and their endeavor. In horror the local administrators witnessed that he was the only survivor. Scout Rotschild died shortly after his return. Cause of death was an unnatural black and suppurating wound, which could not be treated by the apothecari. The medical report indicates it was caused through some sort of warp manifestation or a form of psy attack.

Before he died Scout Rotschild reported, that the villages in the north, which form the border to the so called death desert, regularly are raided by some sort of war clan. The villagers call this clan Cenk durum Karsilamak – Warriors of the Eye. Scout Rotschild's major wanted to meet this enemy in the open field to make use of his heavy mobile forces and the artillery. Before the battle started nature seemed to have sided with the enemy and an unnatural sandstorm came out of nowhere. Scout Rotschild reported that it was intense enough to tore the flesh of the soldiers, but the warriors of the clan seemed to not be harmed by it. The imperial troops were butchered by the clan. The supposed leader of the clan Kasap ô Dalgin also participated in the fight. Rotschild reported he had thrown lightning and fire upon the soldiers. Rotschild himself claimed to have hurt him with a knife. He then was struck down by Dalgin and a drop of blood hit him. His reports were hard to follow. He regularly was carried away, claiming to hear dark voices whisper his name, that creatures visit him in his dreams. His last understandable words were that now that his duty ends, he hopes to have proven himself in the eyes of the Emperor.

The PCs first steps on Aridus III should be to meet a local source of information, if you like to call him so, a trader called Jared. He acquired the information for IIDR3 and sent it to him. He was also hired to transport the PCs to a village, which was under attack and lies closest to the battle. The PCs will get a sealed box 1m³ very heavy handed over, which is the agreed upon payment. (PCs might get curious...it is a high-tech water recycling system, which can also gain water from air moisture and has a special auspex in it to find good locations for wells. If you want to have them guessing, let their auspex scans be inconclusive, like it seems to be some sort of mechanical instrument)

The journey on board the Spate was calm, if you did not mind the constant aching of the old ship and the more rust than water, that came out of it's pipes. If you like you can add here a little scenario where the acolytes can thank IIDR3 for their beautiful journey in a space junkyard. I described the Spate as a transport ship that could be called old by imperial standards. It's captain takes what ever mandate he can get, in order to keep his ship alive a little longer. This time he transports a bunch of volunteers for the Adeptus Mechanicus to Aridus III, they of course dream of easy work on a high technology world where servitors do the hard work. They do not anticipate, that they will have to work in live threatening heat and probably never get back or any kind of payment.

If the acolytes to choose to hide their identity, they can just travel with these poor souls. If they want to take another role, questions will be asked, why they travel to such a poor world, where water has the highest value etc. Should they travel as an inquisitorial detachment, no questions will be asked, but their arrival will be noticed immediately and an ambush should be prepared by their enemies (best after meeting with their contact Jared in the Lavender's Glow)

Departure off the Spate

The shuttle which should transport the PCs and a lot of workforce down are in no better condition as the ship itself. Hasty repairs on the heat plating are conducted, while the passengers board the shuttle. (PCs might want to help, let them or not ;) ) I like to improvise, if something happens or not, like the artificial gravity fails and some pets on board start to fly around in the compartment etc.

After landing on Aridus III in it's capital Direnis you hurry to leave this sorry excuse of a shuttle, before it might collapse on you. You are not the only ones thanking the Emperor for you save landing, women and children cry in relief. As soon as the adrenalin starts to fade you feel the merciless sun burning on your skin. The ones of you, who have no eye protection are blinded by the giant fire ball. You never were so close to a sun. It is as majestic as terrifying to be so close to such raw and pure energy. The sun slowly starts to rise over the simple corrugated metal roofs. Thankfully they are mostly covered with sand, so the light does not also reflect from them.

You concentrate on your training and start to scan the environment. The spaceport is not much more than a plain field of dust covered by simple metal plates. The same plates are used to fence the port. Surprisingly the plates show little marks of rust. Probably the very low air moisture and constant heat prevent rust. Within minutes you start to sweat miserably. The hot air burns in your lungs. You notice, that the locals, who control the arrivals, are totally covered by cloth. While waiting you use a considerable amount of your water, as you are simply not used to such conditions. A few older persons in line are even less well equipped and impend to collapse. Aridus III tells you, it is no world for the weak.

The controls are saggy and done superficial at best. No one wants to stay outside longer than he needs to. As soon as you pass the controls you can get a first view on the city, if you like to call it so. It looks more like a giant junkyard. You see a sea of metal and cloth tents. Colorful cloth are spread between the roofs to produce shadow. The spaceport lies on a hill on the east end of the city. The city itself is fenced by a wall made of collected scrap metal with a few towers and gates. There are few buildings higher than the ground floor.

You follow the flow down into the city. As you get closer you can see, that most domiciles are build underground. Just a hatch on the ground covering a stairwell down. You would not have thought so, but Direnis is quite the lively city. Many stand traders shout against each other about their products, children try to sell you hand sewn scarfs to cover you face from the sun. All the locals have a dark taint and weathered skin with deep lines in their faces. The colorful clothes which are spread over you dip the streets in nice colors, which might emit some sort of positive attitude, if not the people would look so beaten by their environment. Still they do their best. Besides the heat, the other discomfort is the always present smell of stringent sweat. Also some of the locals insult the arrivals as smooth skins.

---

The PCs might want to do something now, like get a room or the like. If you want to have some action before they meet Jared, you could have them get robbed by a band of child thieves or have trouble getting the payment for Jared through customs, because they want to get bribed.

---

The Lavender's Glow

As you look for the tea parlor known as the Lavender's Glow you reach the so called welding quarter. It seems to be a richer part of town, as all buildings have at least one floor and some seem to have air conditioning machines. Like the name might suggest, most buildings are made out of welded metal and seem to be workshops and some times ateliers.

The Lavender's Glow sits in the middle of the district and you think at first it must be a bad joke. You see only a small cloth tent, with a neon writing telling you, you are right here. When you enter you see only a metal plate on the ground, beside it stands a big muscled man, holding a rope, which is connected to the plate. (The Lavender's Glow is a place for the wealthier people of Direnis, make it as hard or easy for your PCs as you feel best)

The man lifts the plate and you can feel cool air flowing around your feet from the staircase. You go down at least three floors before you reach the end and the plate is shut above you again. Dim light from small low energy lights lighten the cave unsteady in a purple / blue light. You stand on top of a cave, which is about two floors deep, on it's sides are holes carved in the stone, so the patrons could sit separated and shielded, in the middle is a little stream flowing through the cave. Just a little beside is a counter carved out of stone, behind it is a lean man cooking teas or preparing other beverages. A door behind them might lead to the kitchen and storage. Young and pretty women carry trays from and to it.

---

The PCs will have to ask Carlito the owner behind the counter. (A firm date to meet Jared could not be made, because of the unforeseeable nature of warp travels. Decide for yourself, if Jared is there or will come later.

Jared, 1,85m, decent belly, devious character, likes to talk of Jared in the third person, has bright skin for a local, bushy eyebrows and two golden teeth, which ray when he smiles.

(I assumed my PCs to go undercover, adjust if your PCs did not.)

When the PCs go over to Jared, he will be talking to some of his business partners. He will understand immediately that they are agents of the Throne and he really does not want it to be known, that he spies for the inquisition. So he announces very loud: “Ahhh, you must be the friends of Mustaffa. Yes, yes, very nice to meet you.” He shakes everyone’s hands and does not let anyone say anything. “I am very happy we could meet. Come on I invite you to some tea. Excuse me my friends, business is calling.” He smiles to his partners and then loudly talks on while leading the PCs over to a covered table. “How is you building project going? Well, I hope! I have the perfect vessel for transportation for you!”

As soon as everyone sits his voice gets low. “Do you have my payment?”

Jared is one greedy bastard. He sets a meeting in his workshop in the morning, there they can have their transportation vessel and give him his payment. He does not say anything about accompanying them any more. (PCs might not notice that...would be rather bad, if so and they confront him, he will say it is much more dangerous now and that the payment is not enough. Decide for yourself, if you want to add an extra mini adventure, where the PCs acquire something for him in order to get him to cooperate. Alternatively they can threaten him. If he does not come with them, IIDR3 will not be happy about that. [if the PCs fail their intimidation test, give them a nice bonus on it, Jared will say that IIDR3 is too busy to get after him and smile] They can also threaten to reveal that he spies for the inquisition, that will hit him much harder, as it threatens his purse.)

Onetime I am not here for a Week and everything gets postet :D so much to read.

After Jared leaves, I set up one more scene to introduce an optional companion. The PCs can spot a group of Scrapers (I don't know if this can be used as the term, I used in the original. Scrapers [schrotter] are some sort of carrion eaters of the old world cities and technologies. They go out in the deserts and search for untouched ruins of the old cities, to salvage resources or tech.) The group is having an argument. One younger member insists to go into the death desert as there are more untouched ruins. An older wants to explain to the hot head that it is too dangerous and costly. You might want to add some information about the war clan which raids the northern villages. After some heated discussion a black figure joins the group, carrying a long staff with an once golden aquilla which is not black from, it looks like, ash.

The black figure stands there quite tall, it wears black robes, which look like they where on fire and his voice sounds raspy but echos through the room and gains the full attention of everyone. A deep hood hides it's face. “You can go into the death desert. But death is all you will find there.” The group looks up to the figure. “Maybe the sand creatures will not kill you. Maybe the sand will not kill you. Maybe even not the sun will kill you. But the dark enemy of our Lord will. You are not strong enough in your hearts. Your belief is founded on greed not devotion to our beloved Emperor. I have seen the enemy. It is not a simple war clan. It is The Enemy, our Arch Enemey! We need true champions and we who we are not able to fight for ourselves have the duty to pray for their arrival and not to hope for treasures. You **** yourselves!” The figure rants on. Then the innkeeper comes back in the room, he does not listen to the figure and only sees that his customers are getting frightened. He steps in. “That's enough! You old fool. The only thing you have seen is too much sun! Out!” He pushes the figure towards the exit.

This NPC is called Samuel. He can be tracked down to some sort of sanatorium, where he lives now. When the PCs follow him they can talk to him, but should present themselves as religious. Otherwise he will first try to guide them to enlightenment.

Samuel really has seen what he claims to have seen and is a second survivor. He was a priest and sanctioned but weak psyker in the PDF and survived the battle. But he had to travel back to the city on foot. If the PCs meet him in the sanatorium he will have but down his cloak. They can see his skin is burn to a black and bloody mass. He must be in terrible pain. His eyes seem to be blinded. Still he has faith, true faith and seems to be a real miracle. That he still breathes should be enough a miracle, but he seems to be able to walk and talk. (I used them to inspire my players and for some fluff, I build him to be some sort of extreme flagellant. If he is present in the group (and they are religious) he gives them a bonus on actions especially combat (your call if you want to do that, too), but the down side is, that he is hardcore puritan. He will not tolerate any sort of blasphemy or even jokes about his Holiness etc. If you like to use him as an active combatant, I would give him an eviscerator or shock whips. I for myself just used him as moral (extreme) compass)

Back to what the PCs can learn from him:

• He was in the battle. He has seen and can identify the leader of the cult.

• He claims to know where they have their headquarters, but he cannot tell a location, he can only guide the PCs as he now sees the world in another way...

• He felt the influence of the arch enemy in the war clans leader

• He is ready to support them on their journey and offers them spiritual guidance

The next day in Jared's shop

The shop

• Bigger building, he has room for four bigger vehicles

• The walls are massive for the local standards

• It smells of oil and sweat

• It is quite shady but hot inside

• There are many workbenches, but a big thing under a plane catches the eye

Jared welcomes everyone, (if Samuel is with them, he is careful around him. The two are not very compatible...) then he pulls back the plane and you can see:

• what once was a chimera of the imperial army...it looks different now

• No chains, but six big wheels like on a tractor or monster truck

• No passenger compartment...or at least no roof for that, more like the loading area of a pickup

• The pilot's compartment is open, too, but has a big windshield out of glass in the front

• It is stacked with canisters of water and food and other supplies

• There are also bars to fix some sort of cloth plane on top (Jared explains, the enclosed compartment would have cooked the passengers since there are no more spare parts for the AC...

• The only weapon left is a heavy stubber (but feel free to adjust as you like)

Again Jared tries to wind himself out of accompanying the PCs. (Samuel might curse him then and call him a coward or even threaten to punish him, if he knows the PCs are acolytes as Jared then would refuse to service the Emperor)

Next post, the adventure will finally begin...

Departure

The engines of the chimera scream to live and black smoke shoots out of the two exhaust pipes. Jared smiles, proud of his vehicle: “Are you ready to go? We should drive as far as we can, before midday. Then we have to rest for a few hours or the engine might overheat.” The big loading area has not much room for passengers, but everybody finds a spot under the cloth plane. Then your vehicle makes a jump start and you drive through the city. The howling engine attracts a lot of looks, but never more than one.

The sun is just about to rise and you can feel how hot it will get, even with the wind blowing in your faces. After ten minutes you leave the city through some makeshift gates, you pass long fields where some sort of cable webs are strained. “They collect water from the air, the condensate that results from the night. Not much...but then more than nothing.” He laughs again. Fast you leave these water web fields behind and with them the last signs of civilization.

You drive through a plain landscape, the ground is dry and a mix of small rocks and sand. A few bigger rocks lie around. Here and there you see the remains of rusted signs or remains of once big buildings. The last surviving witnesses of the old civilization.

You put some sort of cloth around your faces to protect them from the sand, which the wind carries. Then you have not much more to do, than to wait and sweat, while the metal of the vehicle gets warmer and warmer. When noon approaches, Jared stops your sand chimera on a bigger rock plateau. It's just a few hands over the sand. “Ok, time for a break. So my friends, a little advice, yes? Do not walk on the sand, if you do not have to. This planet might look dead, but here live some nasty little and not so little creatures in the sand.”

It is super hot. You might think about leaving the muggy cloth plane, but when you just put a hand out of the shadow it casts, you feel like your hand would get cooked. Jared prepares some tea and tells you to drink at least two liters. (If you like have some between PC/NPCs RPG time here)

In the late afternoon Jared starts the engine again and you commence your journey. Nothing of interest happens. Just some mountains come into few, your destination. Sadly they are about three days away.

When it gets dark, Jared searches for a plateau again. He then puts his head in one of his boxes and pulls a hand full of strange looking traps. They look like small bear traps, but in the middle is a little box, which even goes deeper than the traps bottom. Jared then makes some whistling noises and grabs, what you could describe as desert mice and puts in each trap one. With a few fast and skilled hand moves he lies the traps armed in the sand. A metal cable on each trap lies on the plateau. The mice start running in their cage as soon as they touch sand and cheep. “Not long until we get something to eat.” He casts one of his broad smiles.

After about a quarter hour the first trap snaps. Curious characters go and take a look. In the trap lies a big scorpion, his carapace cracked open. Jared tells you to reel it in. The scorpion does not smell very good and it's taste, after cooked over fire is not very good either.

So much for a little setting the scene. If the players ask why they cannot just travel at night, let Jared explain, that the lights on the sand chimera are not good enough and you have to drive carefully not to hit some sunken buildings and maybe damage the tires, as they have no spares with them.

If you have Samuel with you let him scream in his sleep, some warning about the red eye watching them or that they know we are coming.

What will happen on the journey to the village?

Not much..., but if you like, build in a motor damage, naturally in the middle of sandy soil and let the PCs fight of some sand creatures.

I build in an ambush of their true enemies, the war clan. Two pick-up like cars storm down a ridge, when they are close to the village. Probably were they just observing if the villagers move out and found the PCs as prey. (I will add their values next time)

The fight was made quite easy on purpose. When the PCs win and their attackers flee, they come back in greater numbers and a race for their lives starts. The village is their only hope. Letting the faster pick-ups getting closer and marauders trying to “board” them.

Atlast I finished your first session xD Sadly Rasputin lost an arm =/

Well, that is not too bad. He now can use the PCs as his replacement arm ;)

Did you and your group like it? If you like you can also write a short critic. I am always open for suggestions for improvement.

I will post the next part this week, the weekend was quite busy.

Values for the ambush

Sand-Chimera

Front: 15 Side: 10 Rear: 10 Cruising Speed: 80 kph Tactical Speed: 20m

Manoeuvrability: +10 Size: Massive Avl: Special Carrying Capacity: 16

Integrity: 30

Dual Autogun Class: Basic Range: 100m RoF S/3/10 Dam: 1D10+3 I Pen: 0 Rld: 2 Full

Mun: 60 Special: Twin-linked

Pick-Ups

Front: 10 Side: 10 Rear: 10 Cruising Speed: 85 kph Tactical Speed: 25m

Manoeuvrability: +10 Size: Massive Avl: Special Carrying Capacity: 16

Integrity: 30

Clan-Raider

WS: 32 BS: 35 S: 28 T: 32 AG: 24 Int: 23 Per: 29 WP: 21 Fel: 22

Autopistol Range: 30m RoF S/-/6 Dam: 1D10+2 I Pen: 0 Mun: 18 Rld: Full

Shotgun Range: 30m RoF S/-/- Dam: 1D10+4 I Pen: 0 Mun: 8 Rld: Full

Spear Dam: 1D10 Pen: 0 Primitive (8)

The sun stands high in the sky. You will soon start to look for a place to stay until it cools down again. The chimera drives fast through a rocky environment. To your right is a steep cliff, which might dispense shadow later, to your left is a flat hill.

Time for an awareness test. If it succeeds by one degree, a weak moving sparkle can be seen on the comb. A success buys the PCs a short amount of time to prepare.

Out of nowhere loud engines howl over the comb. Their deep sound reflects from the cliff's wall. Two rusty and pitted pick-up autocarriages storm towards your chimera. You can see (I took twice the number of PCs) men and women, screaming war cries towards you and swirling their weapons above their heads.

The raiders should flee, when about half of them is dead or unconscious. They will probably pose no challenge for your group, especially if they have a strong psyker who might use a fear skill.

If they all get killed it does not really matter either. It would be time for a break now to go easy on the engine, but maybe they want to press on.

If they choose the break: More than an hour passed and nothing happened. Then the PCs start to feel a little tingle. They cannot grasp it at first. Then they see some sand grains start to move. A few seconds later they hear something like continuing thunder. The PCs will jump on the chimera or get into defense positions. Then a wave of pick-ups burst over the comb (or another). Maybe 250m seperate the PCs from the attackers. It should be clear that only retreat is the only option.

I let Jared drive, so the PCs could all fight and there was no chance of a disastrous roll which would kill everyone ;) The terrain changes quickly. Jared drives into a ravine with a slight upward grade. It is also quite twisting, so you sometimes lose sight of your enemies and the PCs cannot estimate how many pursuer there are. (If your PCs have heavy artillery make the ravine broad enough that blasting the walls with rockets would maybe destroy one or several pursuer but it would not be narrow enough to block them for good...at least not yet. It is a valid action, if you feel your players are not gonna make it. Jared can always shout something like: “Mother of the Emperor! Jared does not want to waste it....but open the hatch next to the water tank and have some explosives at hand, which he originally wanted to sell.

Anyways for this scene I always let the pick-up “wave” be in the background as some sort of never ending and in the end futile threat, while one or two vehicles got closer to the PCs. The raiders course of action would be to shoot at the passengers and try to board the valuable vehicle and it's treasures.

When your PCs are banged up enough or I chose after three waves, the ravine widens up after a harsh curve Jared nearly missed. Behind it you see a valley and only hundred meters from the PCs a 15m high wall of scrap metal from one stone wall to the other. The walls are manned, cannons on makeshift towers aim towards the ravine's exit. Jared screams on the top of his lunges: “We are friends of the big sun father! Help us! The seekers of darkness want to kill us!”

Jared speeds on towards the wall. For a second your hearts stop. The men on the wall fire the cannons. You hear the high hiss of cannon balls flying through the air, followed by deep explosions. To your luck, they aimed behind you. One of your pursuer's autocarriages is hit and the rest comes to a fast halt. You can see their frustration, their hatred. But they retreat.

An old tank truck gets pushed to a side and opens a passage in the village. The men on the walls look down all are armed, but you cannot see two with the same weapon, seldom enough weapon type. They all have dark and wrinkled skin, even more than the people in the city. A man in a wide and ornamented robe stands in the middle of a plaza you reach. He is clearly the leader of the village, he carries a staff of his status with him.

“The children of the sun father greet you Jared Al-Cazimir. So you finally return to fullfill your promise.” You see the man smile and cannot miss the giggling of some girls nearby, as well as the change in Jared's face. You ask yourself why he gets even paler now....

I think they did like it. And I don`t see any major issues with the advendture :D

The only problem we had was that it took us 3 Months xD

Edited by Wurstbrotjoe

I've got a question about campaigns for share. If you create your campaign and put it on the web for free, would you infringe copyright? I'm assuming you would definitly be doing so if you put it behind a paywall, but what about free access?

When you make your own adventure you can do with the story which you made what you want. Just you have to watch out that nobody steals it and tries to sell it then. Or something like that.

But in the end Fanfiction is not copyright infringement.

Edited by Wurstbrotjoe

So merry Christmas to all!

Well...I hope, I don't infringe anything^^...I certainly do not have the intent to do so. I did not pay that any kind of thought towards that. But then again Tim Huckelbery liked some of my posts ;)

Dear FFG team if there are any problems please contact me or if you like what I write, I would certainly also write for you ;)

But I guess it is of and for the feast here is the next peaceful part. ;)

The village of Ihanet

300 souls live in the small canyon village. The mountain walls are high and steep, so it lies in the shadow most of the day. There are only a few tents made of cloth, a handful of shacks and the two scrap walls protecting Ihanet. The true village lies in the mountains, hidden in deep caves the villagers live. Deep in the main cave there is even a small river, making this village actually very rich.

Additional Information:

• Outside you can always hear the wind howl

• They use makeshift wind wheels to produce energy, which also squeal

• People are strained, often raids from the war clan

• After Jared introducing the PCs as friends (except they pissed him off) the people get more friendly

• Jared is to marry Shari, the daughter of the village chief

• He does not know her, the women are veiled and it is their tradition

• The ceremony will be this evening, despite Jared's tries to delay it further

• I actually made her pretty and Jared suddenly reluctant to leave

• PCs can buy weapons or stock up their supplies

• I offered them additional local weather protection, a little like the suits from dune, but more rustical and very individual

The feast:

• The wedding will be in the main cave

• A big cave, where everybody fits in, there are even little houses in it

• Some rare luminescence mushrooms spend colorful light, which makes an awesome atmosphere in combination with the river

• They play on flute like instruments made of horn

• Sand devil is served in all the possible variations

• Maybe add some creative and/or disgusting food, which the PCs are reluctant to eat...just for fun ;)

• The feast was planned as the opportunity to collect some more information

Information about the war clan (spread the information as you like, maybe the PCs just want to talk to the village chief or if you want to prolong the village stay add a seer or the like):

• Cenk durum Karsilamak = Krieger des Auges

• 5 years ago, they were not much more than a small clan far away, not more than a nuisance

• Then they assault the caravans which try to loot the northern ruins

• A rumor about a new leader in their clan, Ashrak Olum Getirmek – Ashrak the death bringer

• mad men from the north claim he uses magic to protect his fortress in a never ending sand storm

• it is said he won a big battle against the forces of Direnis with magic, too

• Every month a big man comes to persuade the village to join the clan, named Kasimir

• He carries a giant sword, but wears no armour, actually only a short tunic around his hip

• For now they are content with asking, but it might not last long until they attack the village, as it is the easiest passageway to the south

• It seems like they also need technicians,

• Village does not want to join this evil clan (opportunity to recruit help, a young scout named Jahid knows where the never ending sand storm is located)

The next day:

• PCs are wakened by loud and shrill noises

• A three vehicles strong caravan of the Adeptus Mechanicus has arrived

• A young techpriest by the designation of Gladius leads it

• He is climbing the carreer ladder fast and wants to make himself a name

• He decided to repair one of the old terraformer towers to gain even more favor

• He has a squad of Mechanicus guards with him, they are very good equipped, but poorly adjusted to the circumstances

• He also has a group of Tech-Acolytes to actually do the work and his own vehicle full with tech

• His behavior does not very well interact with the village chief

• Gladius wants to resupply and then head on

He can be won as an ally, but he will be absolutley sceptical, it even seems like he does not believe in the powers of the warp at all.

If the PCs do not want to use Jahid, they can find the fortress on their own, it is located about 150km north or some might want to try to attack Kasimir. He will appear in a few days on the northern side of the village, using a vehicle like the PCs. He will step off of it and shout towards the village that they should surrender.

For PCs who can use psyniscience or the like, they can literally taste he is tainted. Others can see signs of it. His skin seems to be thicker but also covered in scars. He has a bloody eye carved in his forehead and is a monster of a man. His bulky body even lets his two handed greatsword appear like a normal one. He also wears some sort of amulet. A black round metal piece which seems to glow sickly.

WS: 45 BS: 30 ST: 49 T: 42 AG: 35 IN: 30 Per: 29 WP: 39 Fel: 19

Wounds: 20

Unnatural Toughness (4)

Regeneration (5)

Swift Attack

Tainted Great Weapon Dam: 2D10+4 Pen: 2 Unbalanced

Mono, Razor Sharp

Chaos Conversion Field Protection Rating 50 Triggers Psy Phenomenon at 90+

I build Kasimir as a challenge for a three PC group, adjust accordingly and after your own taste.

If PCs want to loot him and use the items, let them make corruption tests for 1D5 direct corruption and add 1 point per week they are using the artifacts.

If you want Kasimir to escape let him be rescued by his chimera...or a person clad in black rags standing at the end of the canyon. He cannot be seem very well, but sand seems to swirl around him. Awareness test – success; but his clothes do not move. If you want to let the PCs have a peak at Ashrak, let Kasimir be swallowed by sand.

I just recently discovered this thread and I really was delighted to read it. As a German GM I'm curious: where do you play?

Edited by Laoin

The journey to the end

This part might be a crossroad, depending on the structure of your group as well as there interpretation of their orders. The PC's mission is to find out what is going on on Staub and if there are any non regulated psychic activities. Well, as we all guessed, there are...of course ;) In this part the PC's will travel towards the fortress of Ashrak and his war clan. As there will be some major obstacles, some groups might decide that they cannot handle that by themselves, which is fine. I prepared two optional end parts for the adventure, which I will post next time. So much up front ;)

The PCs are free to decide how they want to go on. They can negotiate with the techpriest to form a convoy and might even convince him to help them, as it can be very handy to have some acolytes indebted to you (maybe a nice hook for a later adventure). They also can ask a local scout for directions or maybe gather some warriors from the village to free it from the war clan.

Either way they will have to continue into the death desert to gather intelligence about the threat degree of Ashrak and his war clan.

They journey on into the death desert, leaving the mountains quickly behind themselves. Where there was some vegetation until the village, some dry grass or plants under some rocks there is now only rock, sand and some collapsed concrete towers. The sand chimera fights it's way through the sand up and down the dunes. It is unbearable hot. Even at night it does not cool down so far, that you would not have to sweat. The moral is low.

A stop on their journey after two days is in the shade of a collapsed building, maybe a palace of the administratum. There towers a wing of a giant Aquila out of the sand. If Samuel is with them he falls into a grim, but spurring mood. “The Emperor tests us. Here we are, in the death desert on a mission against his foes. He shames us, shows us how we failed him, by letting a symbol of his might and glory decay in the desert. But in the same way he shows us, that he protects us. Offers us shade from the sun, shields us from the sand in the wind.” He climbs down the chimera on the sand. He seems to be not afraid of any predators beneath the sand. “I hear you, my Lord! You will provide us with water and equipment! We thank you, Almighty!” He starts to chant the litany of humility and begins to dig with his hands near the wing.

Players might think Samuel is losing it...finally...completely ;P

But then he exposes a dead body, a sergeant from the PDF or at least his meat struck remains. He has some water reserves still on him and some rations, as well as weaponry, equipment and the battle flag of the company. He is not the only one. The PC's stumbled upon the battlefield mentioned in the beginning. Now buried beneath the sand.

You can use this to give your players some more equipment, if you deem it necessary. The PC's can also collect the flag or maybe some tags to bring them to their relatives or the like. This can be a quite nice rp scene. As well show the players that they are alone, in the desert, facing a foe, who eliminated a whole company at least.

More sneaky PC's might want to safe the location to sell it to some scrap hunters. After all here lies a fortune of equipment, too.

After two more days the PC's see something on the horizon, maybe a small sand storm far away. When they close in over the day, they see that it is one giant sand storm, which somehow does not change it's location. Only about 2km away their direct sight is blocked by a big banked up dune. From the top of it they can see a perfect circle. In the middle is the sand storm raging around and around. Then follows a circle of flat land. The strong winds have blown away all the sand, exposing a giant concrete plate of some old imperial building. The blown away sand has formed the dune the PCs are standing on.

Now and then the storm lessens a little bit, forming something like a tunnel. When that happens, psy-sensitive players get the creeps. Shortly after a convoy of vehicles emerges the storm and drives of, members of the war clan going on a raid probably.

We reached the above mentioned big obstacles. The PCs will have several options about how they can continue. I will present them now shortly and then more detailed next time.

They can try to enter the complex:

• Trying to cross the sand storm should be a bad idea

• They can try to take over a single enemy vehicle

• If they have secured the techpriest, he will be able to give them a lot of data. This must be an old terraformer tower and there must be entrances which lie outside the big dune.

• Some very cinematic and (stupidly) brave groups might think about letting themselves being captured

They can decide that they cannot do anything more:

• If they decide to drive back, they need to get hunted. If the acolytes do not come to the heretic, the heretic has to come to the acolytes ;)

Either way there will be a lot of action in the final.

@ Laoin: I send you a pm about your question.

To all: I wish you a happy new year ;)