Doubled strength check with sledgehammer

By BombChel534, in Mansions of Madness

(**potential spoilers for Forbidden Alchemy story 1**)

As we were playing last night, my character (Pete) managed to be RIGHT THERE when Dr. West popped out of the Library, and had a sledgehammer ready to go. We start combat and the GM pulls out a blunt melee card, which allowed the expenditure of 1 skill point to double melee for the check and I succeeded. Now, how we interpreted this was that my strength was doubled for the combat turn (check was -1 point, but I had +2 from Duke) and figured that in to the damage for the sledgehammer hit, ending up doling out a whopping 12 damage right up front (effectively negating the bonus to HP he had from investigators). Is this what should have happened, or would the doubled strength not apply when we calculated the damage and only affected the check itself?

Either way, it was one of those rare times in a boardgame/RPG that I felt like a goddamn hero and it was awesome! We still lost the scenario though, haha.

Edited by Nomud

I'd like to see the text on the card specifically. I think I remember it being something like "double the damage done" so if your Strength was 7, then you would have done (7-2) = 5 damage, which doubled is 10 damage. Still a mighty hit, and a shame you wound up losing. HW is a nimble bastard.

I didn't actually see the card, but from what I recall the text was, and I paraphrase, "test strength, player may spend a skillpoint to double strength for this check." Normally with whatever other blunt melee weapon it'd just improve your chances to hit, but since the sledgehammer is "X = strength -2" for damage we weren't sure if the double strength would still apply for the damage. I'll have my buddy try to fish the card out if he feels inclined.