What separates tEotW from other post-ap. titles?

By Lazzuu, in Zombie Apocalypse

The game looks somewhat interesting, but can anyone tell me what separates it from other post-apocalyptic roleplaying games? What does it have that other games don't?

A good design team?

Based on the small amount of info we have: A fairly unified rule system with plug and chug setting. A different system obviously in terms of rolling and character creation, and really until they tell us more that's it.

A good design team?

Euhm, the game is already released in spain and the rules in that edition aren't that well received.

And if they use the same ruleset, the design team isn't fantasy flight games.

I think it will involve a bit more than merely translation. I think they just want the concept, the idea behind the RPGs and develop their own system to ensure quality, especially if the rules of the spanish weren't that well received.

I know, speculation, etc etc.

I think it will involve a bit more than merely translation. I think they just want the concept, the idea behind the RPGs and develop their own system to ensure quality, especially if the rules of the spanish weren't that well received.

not sure if they are allowed to do that when the game has the exact same name. But i have no idea about the law.

I assume they would have bought the rights so they can alter them to a degree like they've done with other titles.

Old World Spanish or Latin American?

The game looks somewhat interesting, but can anyone tell me what separates it from other post-apocalyptic roleplaying games? What does it have that other games don't?

Right now, with the limited information that has been given, there is very little to distinguish it from other PA games.

But lets look a little closer. Four books, each covering a different type of apocalypse (with each one having multiple variations on the type).

First is Zombie Apocalypse - Great, but there are at least a half dozen other zombie games out there, some with lots of support. And there are a good number of other systems that either have a zombie apocalypse supplement or any GM could easily whip one up with little effort.

Second is Wraith of the Gods - This setting isn't covered much at all out there. GURPS has a chapter in their Y2K supplement, and of course there's systems where it could be done. The Day After Ragnarok is close if my memory hasn't gone completely out. And of course there is Call of Cthulhu by Chaosium but the stars usually weren't right. So this is a relatively fresh setting.

Third is Alien Invasion - Another setting that hasn't really gotten a lot of love out there and I don't understand why. It's not like there aren't plenty of novels, short stories, movies, and tv series out there covering this topic. GURPS has this in a couple of their books and there are a fair number of games and systems where it could easily be adapted and there have been a number that were worked on but never released or finished. Can anyone think of any others? So again, relatively fresh.

Fourth is Revolt of the Machines - GURPS has this one and I think there were a couple of others but not a lot recently.

So one of the settings has been done a lot, one has been done but not recently, but the other two are underserved.

Next we can look at the system. Unfortunately, we know so little about it that we really can't talk about it.

Lastly there is the other big part of the advertising, playing yourself through the apocalypse and afterward (assuming you do survive ;) ). Here is something very different from other PA (and most other) games. In many other PA games it would be easy enough to design characters that are based on yourself, but I can't think of any that have done so. For that matter I can only come up with one other game which has playing yourself as the primary game ( BTRC's Timelords ). Very few have also had you play through the apocalypse instead of starting afterward. Of course several times the groups I've been in have played through the apocalypse anyway.

So, in conclusion, I'd say there is a fair amount distinguishing The End of the World series from other games.

So one of the settings has been done a lot, one has been done but not recently, but the other two are underserved.

I don't think it's very fair to judge a particular setting undeserved. What matters is how it is implemented.

I don't think it's very fair to judge a particular setting undeserved. What matters is how it is implemented.

I think you misread what I wrote. I wrote underserved , not undeserved . Try cleaning off your screen or glasses. ;)

I thought you'd made the typo honestly, but hey it happens.

Looks like the price is going to be a bit on the high side - $39.95 list. I hope there is something to justify that price.

not sure if they are allowed to do that when the game has the exact same name. But i have no idea about the law.

They'll probably have a based on the game by etc etc at the front