Play as myself? Screw that!

By varradami, in Zombie Apocalypse

Who am I kidding, I'm always the GM anyway!

That's the spirit! Just because you are in a wheelchair doesn't mean you are automatically zombie lunch, its just going to be a bit tougher is all. In the World War Z book, there is a chapter about a guy in a wheelchair patroling a survivors comunity. And another chapter is about a blind japanese monk living in a park and killing (and burying!) zombies. Awesome book that.

You know what makes a great story? Surviving when by all rights you shouldn't. If this game plays the way I hope it will, the point wont be who of the group survives the longest but how good of a story you could tell about surviving.

I am a huge fan of sci-fi and you know what I think when I look at the stars? How badass humanity is! Look through pictures from a spartan race and you will see disabled people doing some epic stuff. Yeah they train for that but imagine what would happen when your survival instincts kicked in.

Imagine how awesome it will be ten sessions into the game and your character, who by all rights should have died right out the gate. Doing the impossible makes great stories and builds awesome characters. It also builds unity within a good group.

I say acknowledge your weaknesses, embrace them proudly, and cheer for joy when you conquer them! Let your imagination conquer everything in your path.

Holy crap. I'm not sure this is the right place to be posting that kind of thing. I don't have anything to say to that that would come close to any encouragement I might normally give. I hope your life straightens out is all I can say.

Holy crap. I'm not sure this is the right place to be posting that kind of thing. I don't have anything to say to that that would come close to any encouragement I might normally give. I hope your life straightens out is all I can say.

Thanks for the kind words. Half the time people don't even believe it anyways. So thanks for at least believing me.

Thanks for the kind words. Half the time people don't even believe it anyways. So thanks for at least believing me.

If you can live with all that, a zombie uprising should be a minor nuisance to you.

Asthmatic, lactose intolerant, fructose malabsorbtion, irritable bowl syndrome, and most severely eczema. In the long term I have Huntington's Disease and will likely not live past 50 today let alone in some post apocalyptic wasteland. Assuming one of my other conditions doesn't finish me off first.

Before I was diagnosed with and given medicine to treat my problems my Eczema break outs got infected and it was mistaken for a flesh eating virus. If I had not gotten treatment I would have been in need of severe medical attention.

My diet consists of rice, rice, rice, soy, soy, soy, soy milk. As well as meat and some small amount of veggies that don't make me sick. If it wasn't for all the vitamins and minerals added to food I would be in rough shape.

Now the irony is if I didn't have these disabilities I have quite a lot of survival skills.

The medicine I need for my skin is made by the phramasist/chemist and never kept in stock. So I'm ultra screwed.

I think I might last a month minimum but past that? It all depends on how long until my skin breakouts get infected.

Edit

Oh and I can get stomach cramps so intense it's more painful than being kicked in the nuts. That's usually if I accidentally eat or drink something with a lot of milk without knowing. Or if the lactase pill I have expired/didn't work when I willingly consumed milk.

Can happen for too much sugar. And lesser cramps and gas for any food at any time just because my stomach feels like it. That's the IBS for you.

Edit

The eczema break outs are also more itchy than chicken pox. Extremely itchy with almost no way to relieve it other to to moisturize my skin and if that doesn't work use medicine.

If by some stroke of luck I make it past 30 I have to start worrying about HD as it begins to destroy my mind as the virus consumes my mind. Leading to loss of control of emotions, slowly losing and eventual loss of limb control, and all sorts of other fun goodness.

On top of that I have almost no one to help me. Being as sick as I am I'm not great with conversations. What did you do last night Gamgee? Oh spent about 2 hours in the washroom in extreme pain and ate the exact same food I eat almost every day. You? How's the weather?

I'm actually about to get disability.

Imagine if you will. You haven't eaten anything but boiled rice and vitamins for 3 weeks, water for months on end as the only thing to drink, no one wants to talk to you, cramps more painful than being hit in the balls, itchy at night so bad you start to scratch your own skin off and this is the best you can do to stop yourself from going insane, skin is beginning to fall of fin places from the infection, you have to worry about the future and how you'll live day to day and HD, and take care of your grandfather and others who depends on you, and have only had a few hours of sleep in days and days. Averaging a few hours of sleep a week because of how painful living is. Your also alone because no one else wants to help you. No one wants to be with you. They will never be with you. The end. No one is stupid enough. Barring any existing family (not significant other).

Now imagine being in this state of torment for over an entire year slowly getting worse as the doctors don't know what's happening to you.

I don't think many people know the agony I have gone through.... I just look them in the eye and scare them now. I don't even know what to talk about. They talk about their problems like needing to find a house and having to wait an extra 6 months. Or how their baby only lets them sleep a few hours each night.

If I do somehow survive this is in store for me.

I'm a tough person mentally. It's just my physical body and physical mind that will fail me. Whatever my fate, it will be a good death .

So who wants to do the Gamgee challenge run and see how long they make it?

Edit

Forgot the laundry list of allergies.

dog, cat, horse, feathers, beech trees, birch tree, dandelion, dust mite p adn f types, trees, grass, ragweed, rabbit, hamster, gerbil. Any and all of these can set off both my Asthma and/or my skin condition.

I had a dog with huntington's. He lived a good full life, but towards then end it was pretty bad. I don't wish that upon anyone. Zombie apox may not be the worst thing in the world for some people.

That all said, I bet you don't go down without a pile of cadavers surrounding you.

To the OP, you complain about the character generation system, rail against others that offer alternatives but then admit we don't know much about the rules yet. And if the rules let you create yourself, they will let you create any other normal human being. If you don't want to play as yourself, or play as yourself without medical conditions, go ahead. Ask the rest of your group if they want to play regular folks who aren't themselves. Then you're not "cheating".

You come off as a bit too strongly offended by a game you admit we don't know much about yet.

Please stop adding logic to a gamer debate. None is required.... :P

I'm a nurse. the idea that you spelled half of that correctly leads me away from disbelief.

The one thing I would like to note here: for the most part, we all have reasons why we wouldn't/shouldn't make it. What nobody seems to be taking into account is that we are not alone. Sure if you're in a wheel chair, by yourself you'd be screwed. But if I'm with you, I see rolling artillery. We would have an ammosexual relationship. I push, you shoot. It'd be like the worlds slowest drive by.

Regardless, the point is when faced with that kind of tragedy, humans have a habit of becoming a bit more "brotherly". Heck, 9/11 wasn't even a percentage as bad as an apoc event, and that got new yorkers to come off their high horses for a few days. I think, as a whole, taken in that light, a lot of the stupid crap that keeps us apart will fall to the wayside.

No one is looting any pharm meds alone.

Edited by Shamrock

I had a dog with huntington's. He lived a good full life, but towards then end it was pretty bad. I don't wish that upon anyone. Zombie apox may not be the worst thing in the world for some people.

That all said, I bet you don't go down without a pile of cadavers surrounding you.

Absolutely. Least I can do is take down as many of them as possible in that situation. Considering I'm a **** good shot with a pistol (hunt small game with it) and regularly hit targets the size a partridge I think a lot of zombies are in trouble. Just give me the ammo.

I've even used a modern bow a few times. With practice I could get a lot better and more reliable, but at least I can hit a human sized target.

No experience with crossbows yet.

Edited by Gamgee

Here's my list:

I'm dreadfully nearsighted, I'm loud, I'm disgusted by muck, I have extreme empathy to the point where I have cried when others cry without knowing why they are crying. I'm pacifist, big and bulky, couldn't run to save my life, go into shock in scary situations, and in a zombie situation, would be utterly useless in all forms of combat and survival.

But now let's look at the pluses: I'm extremely smart and intellectual, I always look out for everyone around me, I can plan very strongly, and I have plenty of friends that make up for my problems. In this game, I'd probably die in ten seconds on my own. But if I'm with my friends who are trying to keep me alive, I stand as good a chance as them.

Also, as far as saying "I'm disabled so this game will suck for me," they probably have rules for that. You're in a wheelchair? Extra stats. You have a dibilitating disease? Extra stats. It will probably also include, "If you don't feel comfortable letting off some traits or playing with other traits, then you can let them slip." RPGs aren't designed to make you feel like you're screwed in all game settings; they're made for fun. And really, if you play with a positive group, you can turn your disadvantages into boosts (see Shamrock and the slowest drive by in the world).

Just stay positive and have fun.

The real problem is that you're too unimaginative to think of an a theoretical solution to your real world problem.

You are diabetic? Raid a folks home to get insulin.

You don't have any skills? Find a copy of the SAS Survival guide at the abandoned Barnes & Noble.

You found a gun, but don't know how to use it? Use some Zombies as target practice.

It's a theoretical world. Find theoretical solutions.

If everyone was 28 year old ex-seal in perfect health and owned a personal arsenal, the story would be boring.

It'll just turn into the Itchy and Scratchy show.

Fight Fight Fight. Fight fight fight.

As someone said elsewhere, there's an easy way to overcome this "play as yourself" premise that so many people seem to dislike: imagine another person in your head, and stat them as you would yourself, using the rules. Done. Dusted. You're playing someone else, and the world can breath a sigh of relief.

Alternatively, you can just play yourself. I, personally, am keen to try this out, though I think my military experience will give me an unfair advantage compared to my civilian companions. Still, what's a game without a challenge, eh?

Oh I fully intend to play myself.

I just created an account on here to say this thread has me sold on this game.

Edited by NnolanOdell

I don't think anyone truly knows how one would react in a situation like this. Sure if you have a mile long list of issues maybe you not fair very well but I know a lot of people "perceive" these issues and put in a situation like this you could potentially find yourself "cured".

People requiring medicine on a regular basis is simply a adventure hook for the gm. If done right the gm would ensure your character has access to the stuff when needed but also create the sense of scarcity of it but I would not make it so the character would just die because they couldn't get what they need. I would however have characters go into shock or something and be down for a while while the other players look for the medication, this would actually be a good spot to write a player out for a session they couldn't make it to.

If the player already had a stock of a few days maybe it was stolen by other survivors and now you have to get it back?

I think people would be surprised on how well they could adapt or at the very least distract the zombies and let the rest run away. Thanking you for your sacrifice. ;)

You come off as a bit too strongly offended by a game you admit we don't know much about yet.

Why would I be "offended" by this game? I expressed my unwillingness to purchase or play an RPG designed with the assumption that I would play as myself. If Fantasy Flight Games chooses to make that a core part of this game, then they don't get my money and I will play something else. But maybe other people will really love that decision and will happily give FFG their money, and the product will be very successful.

I am disappointed they have chosen to go that direction, but it doesn't offend me, and it wouldn't affect my decision to buy other Fantasy Flight products.

Might be the way you worded it in the title of your topic?

I could be the fact you took offense at the very idea, see the quoted material of my first comment.

I have Type 1 Diabetes and an Ostomy as a result of surviving cancer.

I am looking forward to playing out all of the ideas whirling around inside my head as how I will overcome the challenges of being me just like I have overcome all the things in my past. And I have the scars to prove I can do it!

Thank you FFG, bring on the apocalypse!

Wow really! I think the idea of playing as myself is what makes this awesome. yes im diabetic but dosnt have to have that part for the sake of playing. im really looking forward to getting this game. zombies have always been a fun topic for my friends and I and a chance to actually play as a group aginst them sounds like loads of fun...Will be buying this as soon as it comes out!!!

I am blind. How screwed am I?

The game has to have rules for making characters that aren't me, though. PC's die. I'm sure it isn't the designers' intent that if your character dies, your GM has to ban you from the game! I'm also pretty sure they aren't intending for us to deal with these issues in the game, too... Not if we don't want to, anyway.

So maybe in-game me never lost her sight. She's just badly nearsighted. Insulin dependent diabetics maybe don't have to have to be insulin dependent. Amputees have thair lost leg, for example, but maybe their knee gives out. Or maybe you can erase these things complately!

I think, if I were gm, i'd tell people to make 'what if' selves. Pick something about yourself and change it. What if I wasn't blind? Or what if you were recruited by, say, the FBI? This way your character is still you but you're different enough to still have fun with it.

Edited by PrettyHaley

Why would I be "offended" by this game? I expressed my unwillingness to purchase or play an RPG designed with the assumption that I would play as myself. If Fantasy Flight Games chooses to make that a core part of this game, then they don't get my money and I will play something else. But maybe other people will really love that decision and will happily give FFG their money, and the product will be very successful.

I am disappointed they have chosen to go that direction, but it doesn't offend me, and it wouldn't affect my decision to buy other Fantasy Flight products.

With the other thread on this same topic and your complete unwillingness to listen to others...............why did you make this thread?

I don't get why it would bother you - if you don't want to play as yourself then don't. If your friends would have a problem with that then yeah, I suppose it's not the game for you. My friends are pretty casual types though so I don't see them minding.