Inspiration Material

By ThenDoctor, in Zombie Apocalypse

I wanted to make a thread for people to suggest material to get inspired about zombies of any sort.

So here's a few I can think of on the fly:

The Zombie Survival Guide (book)

The Walking Dead (Comics and Telltale game sorry not a fan of the show)

The Night of the Living Dead (original film)

Shaun of the Dead (film)

Evil Dead (zombies in a vague sense, the original trilogy)

All flesh must be eaten RPG, Lots of intresting ideas for zombie variants: (STD zombies, alien necromancy, zombie armies)

World War Z (the book) from the same author as the zombie survival guide.

Return of the living dead (smart zombies, immune to headshots)

George Romero's original zombie trilogy (night, dawn, day of the dead)

Zombi 2 (1979, Lucio Fulci) puts flesh eating zombies in a voodoo setting. Also zombie vs shark!

Lifeforce (1985, Tobe Hooper) a zombie apocalypse created by naked space vampires!

28 days later, for those of you who like the fast infected zombies...

Braindead (aka Dead alive) zombies vs lawnmower and priests kicking ass "for the lord!"

Edited by Robin Graves

For those looking for a very different take I would suggest John Ringo's Black Tide Rising series (1- Under a Graveyard Sky , 2- To Sail a Darkling Sea , 3- Islands of Rage and Hope ). A good series of books so far. It won't be for everyone's taste, the "zombies" are more 28 Days Later type, everything's not all hopeless like in most zombie media, and there is organization left (sort of).

While Wraith of the isn't out yet, I remembered a series of books that I've looked over at the bookstore whose general premise might just provide some inspiration and ideas.

The Pantheon series by James Lovegrove - each one seems to be a standalone where a certain pantheon/diety has come back and now controls the world.

1) Age of Ra

2) Age of Zeus

3) Age of Odin

4) Age of Aztec

5) Age of Voodoo

6) Age of Godpunk

7) Age of Shiva

Age of Godpunk is a set of three novellas collected in one volume (Anansi, Satan, Gaia).

I haven't read any of them, just looked over them in the bookstore (too many books, not enough money ;) ).

For Japanese-folklore-based zombies, check out the PS2 game, Siren.