Mad King Aerys is causing us problems

By Lastczarnian, in 2. AGoT Rules Discussion

Ok I got a few scenarios and I'm not sure how each should be handled with the Mad King in play.

1. If my opponent has the Mad King and no other character in play and I win a Military challenge does the Mad King die to the challenge even if I do not have a Noble character in play?

2. If my opponent has the Mad King and one other character in play and I win a 1 claim military challenge can he pick the Mad King as the claim target leaving the other character to live or since the Mad King cannot die does my opponent have to choose the other character?

3. Same as above but with a 2 claim challenge. Can he even pick the Mad King to satisfy the claim?

4. Will Valar Morghulis kill the Mad King? What about Wildfire Assault?

Any good ways to get rid of this guy if you have no nobles in play? LOL

"Cannot" is absolute -- Aerys cannot be killed, and cannot be CHOSEN to die, unless an opponent controls a Noble Character or Ser Jaime Lannister.

1. Aerys cannot die.

2. Aerys cannot be chosen for Claim - the other Character dies.

3. Aerys cannot be chosen for Claim - only one Character dies.

4. Valar cannot kill Aerys unless (see above). Wildfire cannot kill Aerys unless (see above).

Discard him, or blank his text.

Note that this is not a set of scenarios 'new' to having Aerys. The plot 'Power of Blood", the new 3 cost dragons from Kingsroad, the naval Asha Greyjoy, the old Coldhands.

As kauai1964 says, there are lots of substitures; discard him (westeros bleeds, trait manipulation+dissession, threat from the north), bounce him to hand (ghaston grey), blank him before a military challenge/valar (nightmares, lady of the leaves, meera reed) or, easier yet, stick a negative attachment on him like Milk of the Poppy, Bastard, Fishing Net, Motley, or anything else that can greatly reduce his effectiveness.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have recently added Milk of the Poppy, Nightmares and Turncloak to deal with him.

A funny way to deal with him, if your opponent has a Noble in addition to him, is to take control of him with something like Melisandre's Favor, then use his ability to kill himself.

A funny way to deal with him, if your opponent has a Noble in addition to him, is to take control of him with something like Melisandre's Favor, then use his ability to kill himself.

Doesn't MKA's owner get the Prized cookie in that situation?

Correct, because prized goes to the opponent of the controller, but you got to murder him and he goes to your opponent's dead pile. So a good trade I'd say.

*edit - I knew what I meant, but I did type owner instead of controller. It is 100% controller.

Edited by Slothgodfather

I said it was funny, not efficient.

Correct, because prized goes to the opponent of the owner...

Prized goes to the opponent of the controller.

So which is it owner or controller?

Every effect in the game refers to cards in terms of controllers (not owners), unless specifically stated otherwise. The "You" is always the controller, and the prized rule is no different. If you control Mad King Aerys when he dies, you give your opponent(s) the prized power.

Yea, that was my mistake. I knew what I meant, but typed the wrong thing anyways. :ph34r: