Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th edition GrimAndPerilous.com

By GrimAndPerilous.com, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

EDIT:

As an update from yesterday, I spoke with Chris Birch by email. In fact, they are not announcing WFRPG 4e. This is a real shame. Good news, and potentially bad as well.

The ultimate question is this: what does Games Workshop and FFG intend to do with the license for the roleplaying game? Will Warhammer live on as Diskwars with FFG, or will we possibly see system-agnostic, supplementary material from Games Workshop?

Fortunately, ZWEIHANDER Grim & Perilous RPG to help pick up the pieces over at http://grimandperilous.com

Edited by GrimAndPerilous.com

I seriously hope they stick with the dice system :( I just bought everything!!

"Wait until you see..." ffs. What a tease! :D

I bet they are announcing something completely unrelated. Keep the Zweihänder high with a battle cry.

I'm putting my bet on a new cleaned-up edition of Cadwallon.

I hope they keep the dice system too. I like that it's not binary.

Maybe it's the announced 2010 and 2011 release date products for his previous games that are tied up with Cubicle 7. :P

Edited by GMmL

They (Modiphidius) say on their site they will announce the "next game" using the 2d20 system in September so that with "see in September" suggests whatever it is uses the 2d20 system.

I too like the WFRP dice system, it implements indie-game design concepts nicely.

Edited by valvorik

It doesn't have to be Warhammer. There are other good dark fantasy settings, probably all of them with cheaper license. Chronopia? Gemini?

Nothing I can see that says it will be WFRP. I cannot imagine these guys will have had prior access to what is going on at GW at the moment and even having part of the licence from FFG will probably kill them financially.

They are not making a WFRP - they officialy denied it.

The future of WFRP is in FFG hands at this point. If something will happen then it will be next year.

For all others that are waiting for something from GW - they are going to release something big on 20th September. It most likely will not be a WFB 9th but some supplement material for WFB or W40k, or a remake of one of there board games. Time will tell but at this point I really like what they have done with WF setting and how it evolves.

Yup, over-interpretation of vague statement made into rumour posted all over and wrong. Thanks for nothing.

The RP dev team is probably focused on the more lucrative Star Wars licence at the moment, with Force & Destiny in the works I don't think we will see them throwing resources at WFRPG until the development of the core SW games are done and over with. That makes me think 2016 before we see anything Warhammer Fantasy related and depending on the success of Dark Heresy 2 they might change the system (if I was to speculate).

Modiphius is not making WFRP. I cannot say publicly what they are producing, but I can say this, no one has mentioned them yet.

They wont wait until 2016. That would be a waste of 2 years of their license. They probably will go back to the original system (DH style maybe, but it still is the same game at the core) just so they can make books that can be used across the lines easier.

They wont wait until 2016. That would be a waste of 2 years of their license. They probably will go back to the original system (DH style maybe, but it still is the same game at the core) just so they can make books that can be used across the lines easier.

They have already "wasted" the best part of two years of the present license, so I cannot see them worrying about another two wasted years. They are going to be too busy with SW and 2nd edition Dark Heresy to do anything with WFRP until 2016. Also GW's End Times are a lousy role playing setting, so FFG are going to have to wait until GW decide on what will follow the End Times before they can even think about producing a 4th Edition. Again I cannot see FFG going back to d100. If you want d100 again, I suggest you hope that somebody else picks up the license.

The new DH2 is d100. The Star Wars dice don't bother me as long as they don't stop people from making online die rollers for online games.

The new DH2 is d100. The Star Wars dice don't bother me as long as they don't stop people from making online die rollers for online games.

True! But I cannot see them going back to D100 with WFRP, particularly as they have successfully refined the dice pool concept with SW.

You cannot see it, doesn't mean it wont happen. By making it back to the D100 (and better) version they can keep better control of their own system (Lucasfilm has a past of letting their contracted RPG publishers keep their systems, just not their settings) and lets WFRP be developed alongside W40KRP. Just like how RT, DW, BC, OW all used the same "core" system, any new WFRP could just more or less copy-paste-edit-update those rules.

It doesn't have to be set in the end times just because the WFB setting is going that way. It will probably just stay the same setting it is now in.

You cannot see it, doesn't mean it wont happen. By making it back to the D100 (and better) version they can keep better control of their own system (Lucasfilm has a past of letting their contracted RPG publishers keep their systems, just not their settings) and lets WFRP be developed alongside W40KRP. Just like how RT, DW, BC, OW all used the same "core" system, any new WFRP could just more or less copy-paste-edit-update those rules.

It doesn't have to be set in the end times just because the WFB setting is going that way. It will probably just stay the same setting it is now in.

Ugh, this would be the most depressing out one for me. 2E WFRP had plenty of books. Do you really want to buy them all over again for a slightly updated system?

Ugh, this would be the most depressing out one for me. 2E WFRP had plenty of books. Do you really want to buy them all over again for a slightly updated system?

And it doesn't make sense from a commercial point of view, which is afterall the only reason that GW and FFG are in business.

What they would need to do for 4e, whether it's percentile or symbol-dice, is gloss over the topics that have already been covered in previous editions ad nauseum and focus their pagecounts on the topics that haven't.

What they would need to do for 4e, whether it's percentile or symbol-dice, is gloss over the topics that have already been covered in previous editions ad nauseum and focus their pagecounts on the topics that haven't.

The problem is that this is a bad idea from a profitability standpoint. First off, Gm-based books are the worst sellers for RPGs. This means that system-agnostic setting material is not going to make much of a profit. What sells are corebooks and books that give players new things to do. This basically means that any new system is going to have to rehash things. The nice thing about WFRP3 was that it was implementing those things into a completely new rule system. It's at least exciting to see old things implemented in that way.

There is another problem. From WFRP2 --> WFRP3 the timeline didn't really change (actually it went few years back). But the SoC event was still coming and all the WFRP2 sourcebooks were still "valid".

WFRP4 will probably start after The End Times -campaign. And this has for example rebooted the SoC event totally - so, this has negated some of the WFRP2 stuff already. And the first part of the campaign has made pretty big changes to the world. Just the war keeps on going for years... And that is just beginning - of the end.

So, if WFRP4 starts years... decades... century later (Warhammer time), It will be a new world. There is need for information about the current situation of the world. And then we need to buy everything again...

Edited by jackdays

The problem is that this is a bad idea from a profitability standpoint. First off, Gm-based books are the worst sellers for RPGs. This means that system-agnostic setting material is not going to make much of a profit. What sells are corebooks and books that give players new things to do. This basically means that any new system is going to have to rehash things. The nice thing about WFRP3 was that it was implementing those things into a completely new rule system. It's at least exciting to see old things implemented in that way.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. Granted, adventures tend not to sell as much as setting sourcebooks, but GMs purchase the vast majority of RPG books, not players. Also, there's plenty of scope for system-driven sourcebook material beyond the same old priest/wizard/Chaos stuff (e.g. Rogues, Rangers, non-wizard Academics, Necromancy etc).