Question about Prized awarded

By Slothgodfather, in 2. AGoT Rules Discussion

I have a question on prized timing:

Assume that Player A has the neutral Harrenhal in play and has 2 gold on it already. They also have 1 character in play with Prized 1 keyword. Player B triggers a response to winning a challenge and Player A kills their prized character to cancel this effect. No other cancelled are played.

When is the Prized 1 from the character awarded? When is the Prized 2 from HH awarded?

Edited by Slothgodfather

I have a question on prized timing:

Assume that Player A has the neutral Harrenhal in play and has 2 gold on it already. They also have 1 character in play with Prized 1 keyword. Player B triggers a response to winning a challenge and Player A kills their prized character to cancel this effect. No other cancelled are played.

When is the Prized 1 from the character awarded? When is the Prized 2 from HH awarded?

All Prized power is awarded passively at the same time in the same passive step in the framework window in which these cards went moribund(or in which that prized event has been played if prized events come into question).

We've already gotten passed the FAW Passives step (4). This is during the response step (5) of the FAW of winning the challenge. Each response follows this format:

I. Response is initiated.
II. Save/cancel responses
III. Response is executed.
IV. Passive abilities
(now triggered) are initiated.
Player A triggers a response (I) and Player B triggers a cancel during Step II. They initiate the response by killing a prized character, which is it's own Step b.I - b.III. I suppose since the cancel is successful, at Step b.III is when the coin is placed on HH. Then at Step IV is when 3 power is awarded simultaneously?
Now that I'm writing it out that does seem to be the case. It just seemed more complex when this came up over the weekend.
Edited by Slothgodfather

Yes sir.

In your diagram, it would be step IV. Passive abilities. During that entire window, you have a passive step for passive abilities that initiate as a result of the outcome of that window. In this case, Harrenhal and the killed character both go moribund before that passive step. Once the passive step(IV) is reached, their prized 1 and 2 keywords initiate and award their prized power at the same time.

Yea, it makes a lot more sense now, especially more than it did in our late-night game. Thanks Bomb!

Actually, I see a potential point of confusion (indicating my ability to think like a sleep-deprived gamer...):

When you first reach Step IV, the active passive abilities are:

1) Prized 1: If this character is killed or discarded, opponent(s) claims 1 power.

2) If Harrenhal has 3 or more gold on it, discard Harrenhal.

That is, since Harrenhal has not actually been discarded yet, it's "Prized 2: If Harrenhal is killed or discarded, opponent(s) claim 2 power" passive is not active yet. You technically need the passive "discard Harrenhal at 3 gold" to resolve before the location's Prized 2 can initiate.

So if you want to get really nitpicky, the power from the Prized 1 character will be awarded at the same time that Harrenhal is discarded. THEN (and before anything else can happen or any effect can be triggered) the power from the Prized 2 location will be awarded.

The only situation in which this would matter that I can think of, though, is in a Melee game where Player A has 14 power, Player B has 12 power, and Player C kills a Prized 1 character to pay for a Harrenhal with 2 gold on it. Instead of Players A and B both gaining 3 power at the same time (and thus reaching 15 at exactly the same moment for the simultaneous win), Players A and B claim 1 each (bringing A to 15 and B to 13, so A wins alone), and you never actually get to claiming the 2 power that would bring B to 15, too.

Wow. That was how I thought it would happen - the Prized 1 getting awarded first - before HH was discarded. And we were playing a melee and that was the exact situation. Glad to know it worked out correctly!

Thanks ktom for clearing that up. I had considered the discard effect taking place in that part of the timing, but had thought it was constant for some reason. Guess I need to go back to reviewing "constant vs passives". :rolleyes: