Modified Stock et al

By DarkWinds, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

According to the book this grants a +2 or +4 bonus to Aim as a half or full action respectively. Is this correct, am I essentially getting either a +12 or +24 bonus to Aim? Just seems inconsistent given all the other nicely rounded figures.

Another thing that's bugging me is the difference between a Pistol Grip and Recoil Gloves, they both negate the same penalty to basic weapons but the Recoil Gloves also allow you to use a two handed pistol one handed. And on top of that the Pistol Grip halves the range when used single handedly... so the Recoil Gloves are the best, but both items share the same Availability? Seems odd to me.

For the first paragraph: Yes, that's exactly what that means. For the second paragraph: Not all items are created to be balanced perfectly. It's kind of like how the combat shotgun is a small amount better than the plain shotgun. It can also be said that the recoil glove probably stands out and marks you as one heck of an obvious target. Whether it be for a mugging, cultists becoming suspicious, or any other reason, the recoil glove can possibly look way out of place (especially if you are in a location where it does not fit the dress code). The pistol grip also has the advantage of being part of the weapon itself, whereas the glove is yet another item you must keep track of. If you lose the arm due to critical energy damage, it's possible you could lose the glove too.

I still don't understand how wearing a glove or replacing the grip makes it easier to fire a basic weapon, the weapon is still big for one hand to balance and handle.

According to the book this grants a +2 or +4 bonus to Aim as a half or full action respectively. Is this correct, am I essentially getting either a +12 or +24 bonus to Aim? Just seems inconsistent given all the other nicely rounded figures.

Another thing that's bugging me is the difference between a Pistol Grip and Recoil Gloves, they both negate the same penalty to basic weapons but the Recoil Gloves also allow you to use a two handed pistol one handed. And on top of that the Pistol Grip halves the range when used single handedly... so the Recoil Gloves are the best, but both items share the same Availability? Seems odd to me.

One of my players are combining a shield with a Flamer (Basic) with Pistol Grip.

He also has a Handflamer in his belt (so they become nigh identical statwise).

I still don't understand how wearing a glove or replacing the grip makes it easier to fire a basic weapon, the weapon is still big for one hand to balance and handle.

Gloves, dampers, etc help not only against vicious recoil, but they also protect against heat and moving parts, protect against stress injuries to the wrist/joints. The guns may be big but they are also unwieldy and a better grip or glove can go a long way to alleviate this problem.

Not the best of examples - but check out the recoil on this one and then transfer that into 40K, where everything is bigger/badder. Then apply the principle of handling assistance to a Basic weapon in the setting and you might see why it is useful with a recoil absorbing glove - should you choose to fire such a weapon one-handed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VVOH7Ep_8w

Thanks for the excellent advice. The idea that the recoil glove would be as subtle as a brick didn't even cross my mind so thanks for that excellent point.

Well, the point of a pistol grip, is that it's mounted closer to the center-mass of the weapon, making it viable to hold in one hand.

The Recoil-gloves are just neat sci-fantasy space-magic that defies common sense :)

Well, the point of a pistol grip, is that it's mounted closer to the center-mass of the weapon, making it viable to hold in one hand.

The Recoil-gloves are just neat sci-fantasy space-magic that defies common sense :)

I see, so it makes sense to think of the gloves as something that stands out, at least for an observer that knows about recoil gloves.

Oh I'd say that another Firearm enthusiast (aren't most people just that in 40K? :P ) would recognize them for what they are.