Flying with Psychic Powers

By Kajata, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

Hi all; I'm wondering if you could use Telekinesis powers, such as Mind Over Matter, to fly?

I've looked through the books and I can find very few powers that give a psyker the ability to fly or float, short of shapeshifting yourself wings with a spell or two. I feel like this misses something out; could you lift yourself with one of the telekinesis powers, provided your mental strength was enough to lift your own weight? And if so, how far/fast could you move, since Mind Over Matter doesn't really say anything about how fast an object moves.

I'm looking for something akin to the telekinesis power that appeared in Dark Heresy: Ascension, which allowed you to lift things, throw things and also fly yourself, if I remember correctly?

Telekinetic powers are rather weak in Black Crusade. And you are rather wrong by the way of say about speed.

Mind Over Matter still does say that "Objects moved in this way can only be moved too slowly to be used to attack, and when released the object drifts slowly to the ground." when using constant motion.

I'd say, that this is no faster than a man can go. And don't forget the sustainment requirements.

So, as you might guess, you could use it that way, but with less-than-satisfactory results.

And there are no other telekinetic powers in BC than those presented in the Core.

For this reasons, I suggest that you add some new and your own powers if you wanna fly here.

Well, liek this.

Use Float minor power from DH Core. Make it worth 100 exp and modify just a bit to make it acceptable in BC. +0 for general use, -30 cast for emergency stops.

Levitation from Into The Storm. Well, it'll need some improvements. Like cutting the items lifting part and leaving just you. And allowing you to move. Count half PR as movement. Or maybe full. You decide if it's cheese or no. -10 and 200 exp and requires Float

There are no better power for flying that Lift from Ascension. So leave the flying thing and cut everything else out. -30, and PR will determine the trait size. 400? exp And name it just Fly. Obviously requires Levitation.

You can, of course, just take the whole power, but that would be really powerful and would require some serious balancing.

Well, good luck.

Edited by Leto

Faced with a similar issue, brought about from the fact that I have a Q'Sal Psyker in my group, after I noticed the lack of a true "levitation" power, Mind Over Matter not really allowing actual movement, I created this as a bit of a conversion of older powers and so on:

Levitation
Alternate Names: The Rising Lord, Warp-Wings
Value: 400xp
Prerequisites: Precision Telekinesis.
Action: Half-Action
Focus Power: Challenging (+0) Willpower Test
Range: Self
Sustained: Free Action
Subtype: Concentration
Description: The psyker is able to call upon his telekinetic abilities to be able to lift himself into the air. By the time a psyker learns this power, he is able to maintain his delicate concentration to block outside distractions and keep his focus on the task at hand.
By making a Focus Power Test, the psyker gains the Hoverer (X) Trait, with a value equal to half the Psy Rating used, rounded down, with the exception that instead of two metres, the psyker can elevate himself to a height equal to half the Psy Rating used, rounded down.
This power is not flight, but merely limited and largely inexact vertical and horizontal movement. As the psyker Sustains the power, he may elevate himself up to the limit of the granted Hoverer (X) Trait, but descend no lower than half a metre with any accuracy.
While the power is Sustained, he cannot walk normally, and for all intents and purposes, the Hoverer (X) Trait now defines his Movement Speed.
The psyker can also use this power to lift objects or others into the air as well. To determine how much weight the psyker can levitate with this power, the psyker substitutes his Strength Bonus and Toughness Bonus with his Willpower Bonus and Intelligence Bonus, as per the rules for Carrying, Lifting & Pushing. Note that when using the power in this fashion, the psyker cannot effectively move the object horizontally without exerting some degree of force through other means, it is merely vertical movement.
This power may not be used at the Pushed Psychic Strength.

It's not flight or flying, but flying with psychic powers seems rather unreasonable in most contexts, especially if it's with true control.

Edited by Fgdsfg

Flesh mould power gives you the flyer trait.

You could also adapt Wings of Sanguinius from Deathwatch (Core P196) and just change it from being blood red wings to dark daemonic ones or whatever the hell you like. Make it something like WP-20 to manifest as it was supposed to be their top tier power or something. Prereq PR and WP should be the same and wont need too much change.

It basically gives you flyer trait while sustained...just don't fluff the sustain roll or gravity will assert itself very quickly.

Flesh mould power gives you the flyer trait.

This is a good point. If someone just wants to fly and don't care how it's done, Flesh Mould can give you wings, unlike Red Bull.

I can really see how someone would want to use Telekinesis for levitation or something to that effect, though. Growing enormous wings isn't everyone's cup of soup.

...which reminds me, I have to see how I'll get around to getting Flesh Mould for de Benoist, so I can grow some nice gossamer wings, or, I don't know, plague-esque butterfly wings..