Influence, Disposition and good old Fellowship

By The Laughing God, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

Can't quite work out how Influence, Disposition relate to a simple Fellowship test.

Take for example pp268: Using Influence: convincing others to reveal information or offer assistance. Why is this accomplished now with Influence instead of Fellowship, i.e. a Charm or Command or Deceive skill test?

Also, on p277: an NPC affiliated with the Adeptus Terra begins with a Disposition equal to the highest Influence among the acolytes. This will only rarely be better than the 40-60 Disposition that indifferent characters start out with?

(ps I did not post this in the Rules Questions sections as I am more interested in the idea behind the rules than their correct application)

I don't think Charm, Command or Deceive have been replaced per page 268. I think those skills are used, but should the Acolytes wish to "bypass" them and simply pull out the Rosette or drop their Inquisitor's name or what have you, then Influence would be used as per page 268. That is how I would see it.

If there is an Inquisitor with the group, then I can see the Disposition of Adeptus Terra NPC being higher then the 40-60?

~ alemander

Indeed. Theoretically most social skills can be replaced with Influence if you're prepared to let everyone in desoleum know that you're working for the inquisition and get through the game intimidating people with the rosette.

In fact, if you're prepared to burn influence like it's going out of fashion, it can be used as a substitute for any skill you need via reinforcement characters and requisitioned gear.

Sooner or later, that will come back to bite you in the backside, though, with the acolytes' exasperated inquisitor pulling the plug and leaving them high and dry with little influence of their own, stuck in hostile territory and surrounded by enemies who know exactly who and what they are....and that they're now vulnerable.